cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful Port Method and Experience

thangkri
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Everyone, 

I know a lot of you have been experiencing difficulties with porting your old number over. I had the same experience. 

First Attempt:

Thursday, Nov. 3, 2016: I set up my Public Mobile account with Fall $40 promo, and chose to transfer my old number from Fido.

1. The details I entered  here was: PIN #, Authorization Name, Alternate Phone Number. I left all aother fields blank.

Result: Providing this informaton failed to result in a successful port. I waited for 3 full days and no result. I PM'd the community moderators and no reply. I tried to go into my Self Serve account and change the number again, but no luck because it kept giving a "technical difficulties" error.

Second Attempt: 

Sunday, Nov. 6, 2016: I went to Fido, got a SIM (for free if you say you want to set up prepaid online), and setup a new prepaid account just to test the port process for Public Mobile. Again, I chose to transfer my old number from the Fido prepaid account I just set up.

1. This time, the details I entered here was: Account #, Authorization name, and Alternate Phone Number. I left all other fields blank. 

Result: In the beginning I was only able to make outgoing calls and use the data. About 15 minutes later. I got a text message from Public Mobile saying:

"Public Mobile here: Your transfer request has been completed successfully. Welcome to Public Mobile and thank you for joining us!"

Now, everything is working great. You can try this method, if you don't care about porting your old number.

Note: There is also an option for porting existing number when setting up a new Fido prepaid. I didn't try this. Maybe you could try porting your old number to Fido Prepaid. Then from Fido Prepaid to Public Mobile.

4 REPLIES 4

Abbyrificus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I'm trying to port from Freedom Mobile, but have had nothing but a series of problems.

I am here for the promotion and I did correctly select 90 days, province-wide and global text.

First of all, my credit card was denied yesterday.

Tried again today because the charge disappeared from my CC, and I got this message:

Oops ... It seems that something went wrong .. Please href=" https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help" Target="_blank">email us to get your account operational. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thanks for submitting your activation request. Your request has been processed.

I did get the activation email afterwards, but I can't login to my account and the password recovery feature can't use my email address.

I tried using the SIM card anyway. It is showing LTE and "Public Mobile" on my phone.

3 problems:

1) Received calls go straight to voicemail.

2) Can't make calls, says "calling is not included in your plan" (but I did select it).

3) Can't use data; on a browser, I am forwarded to publicmobile.ca/en/on/zero-balance (but my credit card was successfully processed this time...)

I messaged @Simon_O yesterday when I was having credit card issues. It's still showing as unread. I guess I should update my PM with the latest "developments"?

Maybe @Shazia_K , @MarieHelene_L or someone else could help me? I understand all mods have access to the same pool of PMs, but I'm understandably getting frustrated.

Thanks.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you're having troubles porting over from Telus/Koodo have a contact that may help.

PM for details 🙂

dilliamwang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've sent a PM to the mods and understand there's a lot of messages that they have to get through, but my old Fido SIM cycle is ending soon and I won't be able to receive any messages. It's been almost 2 weeks since I tried porting and I haven't gotten a response yet. Any chance I can get some help please?

misikonr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey i have a half ported # from virgin cant recieve calls with the public mobile sim but can make calls and send txts, i submited a ticket 10 days ago, Whats going on guys  #6522-8406

Please help!

Is your number still active with your previous provider?
Yes

When did you attempt to port in your phone number?
10pm on Sunday November 20.

What is the number you want to transfer?

What happens when you attempt to make a call?
Outgoing calls are OK.

What happens when someone attempts to call you?
Incoming calls go straight to my old voicemail

Have you tried the SIM card in another phone?
Putting the sim card into another phone allows me to make outgoing calls but incoming go straight to old voicemail.

What shows on your phone when you insert the SIM card?
It connects to the Public Mobile network and shows full bars of reception

Is your old SIM card still active?
When I try to make a call with my old sim card the call fails. Incoming calls work however.

Please help!
@Shazia_K @Dave_M @Brooke_C @Mary_M

Need Help? Let's chat.