cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Province wide Call" definition for $15 plan I found today

Bin2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Members,

Today I activated a $15 "provincial" local sim in Ontario for BC relatives who will visit Canada next week.

Since she will stay in BC for 2 months and only need this sim for incoming and light data. This $15 plan it perfect for her. I tired it after I turn it on.

Surprised? I can only call Ontario number. Incoming works fine. 

My conclusion: Provincial call is for which province you're roaming in, not the number itself

Correct me if I'm wrong 😁

18 REPLIES 18

I hope everybody on 'province wide' plan visit PM site or Community and see welcoming change and schedule change plan to Canada wide.

yiruiruan

You have your understanding correct. However, consider switching back to the Canada wide plan so that you won't have to deal with this issue anymore.

Bin2

Finally all national call again, back to square one 👍

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Bin2 wrote:

Today I activated a $15 "provincial" local sim in Ontario for BC relatives who will visit Canada next week.

Since she will stay in BC for 2 months and only need this sim for incoming and light data. This $15 plan it perfect for her. I tired it after I turn it on.

My conclusion: Provincial call is for which province you're roaming in, not the number itself

You are correct. A better description would be unlimited calls to the province/territory you are currently located in.

Did you by chance get in on the free month offer that started on Friday for that activation?

Also, I'm wondering if you can test something for me with that plan!!  Since you are in ontario, try call forwarding that line to a BC number, and call it from another phone and see if it goes through. Monitor the self-serve overview page and if it works, see if it consumes minutes. If you can't find fowarding settings, you can always do it by dialing *21*6041234567#

undo with ##21#

Next try same with "conditional" call forwarding. Normally, all three types are set to forward to the voicemail server. To change all 3 conditional types to a new number dial:

*004*6041234567#

Then test calling it. When not answered, declined, or offline the conditional forward should kick in. See if programming a BC number while you are in ontario works.

Undo/Reset conditional call forwards back to the default voicemail servers with:

##004#

Thanks in advance!!

@dabr 

I'm only going by the OP's first post where they state....

Since she will stay in BC for 2 months and only need this sim for incoming and light data. This $15 plan it perfect for her. 

Respectfully and all that....😉

@darlicious wrote:

@dabr 

I disagree with you and @cavemantoronto . The $5/500min add on is more than 8 hours of outgoing talk time ( on top of the 100 included minutes of provincial talk which bumps it up to 10 hours.) The relative would have to talk for more than 18 hours of outgoing calling to justify the $25 plan for calling.

@darlicious   Respectfully, I have to disagree with you since for the couple of months OP's guest is here, the $25 plan offers much better value considering it has 1GB data in addition to unlimited CW mins.  Plus we have no idea how much talk time this guest might need.  

Of course, it's OP's call as to what he decides/thinks is the best for his visiting guest. 😊

@dabr 

I disagree with you and @cavemantoronto . The $5/500min add on is more than 8 hours of outgoing talk time ( on top of the 100 included minutes of provincial talk which bumps it up to 10 hours.) The relative would have to talk for more than 18 hours of outgoing calling to justify the $25 plan for calling.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Bin2 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

My conclusion: Provincial call is for which

@Bin2   For $5 more @cavemantoronto's suggestion is probably the better value since the $25 plan includes unlimited Canada wide calling (before the price increases) plus 1GB data?

If PM increase, its competitor will be happy. Personally I guess PM will backoff its price increase on $25 and up plans. Time will tell.

@Bin2   I hope you are right...it's a ridiculous backwards step by Telus and the other carriers, IMO!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bin2 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

@Bin2   For $5 more @cavemantoronto's suggestion is probably the better value since the $25 plan includes unlimited Canada wide calling (before the price increases) plus 1GB data?

If PM increase, its competitor will be happy. Personally I guess PM will backoff its price increase on $25 and up plans. Time will tell.

Then they would need to reduce or remove the provincial plans. That $50 provincial plan is ridiculous with not even any US like the other $50 plan.

Bin2

@dabr wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

@Bin2  You're right that's why it's called provincial calling plan? 😊 

However, just add the $5/500 mins Canada wide calling add-on to this plan to facilitate outgoing calls to other provinces.

That's what I'm going to do for her. $5 for 500 mins so he can call my Ontario number.  It's always free for her to receive call in BC.

It's free for her to receive a call anywhere iun Canada. She doesn't need to be in BC. If she is making calls often to other provinces, it could be a idea for her to take the $25 Canada wide plan while it's still here.

@Bin2 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

However, just add the $5/500 mins Canada wide calling add-on to this plan to facilitate outgoing calls to other provinces.

That's what I'm going to do for her. $5 for 500 mins so he can call my Ontario number.  It's always free for her to receive call in BC.

It's free for her to receive a call anywhere iun Canada. She doesn't need to be in BC. If she is making calls often to other provinces, it could be a idea for her to take the $25 Canada wide plan while it's still here.

Bin2

@dabr wrote:

@Bin2 wrote:

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Bin2  thanks for testing and confirming for us again.

Yes, i guess the concept of "Province wide calling" is so confusing now because we are so used to Canada-wide calling  (or none - no long distance at all).  Many new plans these days are Canada wide and at one point, we all think this is the "Standard".  Let's hope they won't step back further by only offering Free "Local Calling" plans  🙂

@Bin2 

As suggested by @dabr add the $5/500min add on as a just in case if Canada wide calling is needed or if the 100 outgoing minutes in the plan are exceeded. It will roll over until consumed. When your relatives leave you can use up the additional minutes yourself, allow the plan to suspend and reactivate it in the next 89 days if needed or just donate the sim card to someone in need just remove your autopay info and change any personal details on the account.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Bin2 wrote:

Hi Members,

@Bin2 wrote:

Hi Members,

Going to another province isn't considered roaming. Roaming only occurs when your phone is connecting to another carrier's network.

Your phone number or which city is from actually makes no difference to you.  It only matters for you the person who is calling you as they need to be placing a call to that city (of your phone number).  Outgoing calls for you are included to the province that you're currently in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bin2 : I will not correct you 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.