cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Not Registered on Network" Issue - Am I a dummy?

DesireeDawn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I'm having a problem with my Public Mobile sim card. I just got a refurbished (unlocked) Samsung Galaxy S9, however, when I put the sim card in – although it registered its presence – it doesn't register  the network, saying "Network Unknown".

I tried restarting my network settings, restarting my phone, toggling airplane mode off and on, removing and returning the sim card. None of it has worked unfortunately.

I manually went in and adjusted the APN settings and manually selected the network, but after several minutes of it trying to register it will say "unable to connect, try again later".

I know my phone is compatible, and it's not locked to any other carrier. Am I just a lil dummy or is there something else going on here?

Any smart people's advice and sage wisdom would be greatly appreciated. 😊

18 REPLIES 18

DesireeDawn

@darlicious Oh wow seems like you've learned a lot in two years. 😂 

I also have a lot to learn though, as I'm competent at best when it comes to the intricacies of technology. 

@DesireeDawn 

We're a good bunch here....we have our moments and the odd heated discussion but the knowledge you gain as you have a few laughs is priceless even if it's reflected in your rewards section as a $2 community reward. You should have seen me two years ago when I first started! 

And rebooting your phone means what exactly?....lol....my learning curve seemed insurmountable at the time!🤔😉😁

DesireeDawn

@darlicious Well thank you for the reassurance and kind welcome. I was honestly surprised at how quickly I received replies offering their advice. 

I'm definitely impressed with the Public Mobile community.👏

@DesireeDawn 

Well not an easy fix for us but an easy fix for a CSA. If you submit a support request overnight you will have a reply in your private message in the morning.

A sim card not provisioning upon activation is pretty common at pm so your tag that made me chuckle " help me I'm stupid" really isn't true but its good to have a sense a humour at public mobile because some customers are just lucky enough to have the weirdest glitches happen to them.

But they seem to always even out in the end....an unlucky "bad" glitch is followed up by a lucky "good" glitch!  Hmmm...where did that 2GB promo add on come from? Why is my data so snappy? Oh hey that's not throttled to 3mbps?   

Anyhow next time don't wait so long to ask for help. If you have some spare time hang out here in the community and learn a little more about managing your service its a hands on kind of place.

Welcome to public mobile!

DesireeDawn

@JK8  Yeah I suppose at this point it'd be wise to contact a support agent. 

I was hoping it was an easy fix but figured it wouldn't end up being that way.

Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate it. 🙂

@DesireeDawn 

I wonder if your SIM card has not been provisioned correctly. I would contact a Customer Support Agent to check your account. (Second option below is the easiest.)

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Hours of operation:

You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:

• Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Keep an eye on the envelope icon in the top right hand corner for a reply from the CSA.

DesireeDawn

@JK8 Yeah I got a new number with Public Mobile. I wasn't transferring an old one or anything.

@DesireeDawn wrote:

@JK8Yes, this is my first time using Public Mobile. My sim card has been active for about 2 weeks now but hasn't been used yet. 

Did you get a new number when you activated?

DesireeDawn

@JK8 Yes, this is my first time using Public Mobile. My sim card has been active for about 2 weeks now but hasn't been used yet. 

@DesireeDawn 

Are you a brand new customer? When did you activate the SIM card? 

DesireeDawn

@JK8  Yes it's up to date. I tried the sim card in my old iPhone 5c and it seemed to have a similar issue. Beginning to think the card is the perpetrator here. 😕

I'm down to try a factory reset, although may wait for it as a last option as it'll take a while to set everything up again.

I appreciate the help 👍

@DesireeDawn 

As suggested by @computergeek541 if your sim works in another unlocked phone then the problem is your refurbished Samsung. Have you ensured the phone has all the software updates? You may also want to try a factory reset.

DesireeDawn

@JK8 Yes I've tried that but unfortunately to no success. 😕 The sim card looks fine as far as I can tell.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@DesireeDawn 

Can you take your SIM card and reinsert it again. Make sure the sim looks clean.

DesireeDawn

@Anonymous Yeah I've checked it, right now it's set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM, but has other options

DesireeDawn

@computergeek541 Yes, I tried the automatic option first and it didn't work. I will check out my IMEI tho, thanks for the idea.👍

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DesireeDawn : Can you check the network mode? ie. not GSM-only or 2G only?

@DesireeDawn wrote:

So I'm having a problem with my Public Mobile sim card. I just got a refurbished (unlocked) Samsung Galaxy S9, however, when I put the sim card in – although it registered its presence – it doesn't register  the network, saying "Network Unknown".

I tried restarting my network settings, restarting my phone, toggling airplane mode off and on, removing and returning the sim card. None of it has worked unfortunately.

I manually went in and adjusted the APN settings and manually selected the network, but after several minutes of it trying to register it will say "unable to connect, try again later".

I know my phone is compatible, and it's not locked to any other carrier. Am I just a lil dummy or is there something else going on here?

Any smart people's advice and sage wisdom would be greatly appreciated. 😊

Is your SIM card working in other phones?  I'll say that you don't need to be making changes to APN settings because that can't fix this issue.  APN settings are only for data usage. Did you try the automatic selection option?  I would also suggest going to devicecheck.ca to see if the IMEI is clean.

Need Help? Let's chat.