cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"NO SIM" New Customer, Phone does NOT see SIM

tagor
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a new customer.  I ordered two sim cards (for two different phones).
The cards arrived today.
I decided to start with my Samsung Galaxy S5.  I set up my account, ported my number.
Everything seems ok with that, called Virgin, the port went through. Virgin account cancelled.
When I call my number I get the Public Mobile voice mail.  (Make me think port to Public Mobile successful)
PROBLEM:  The phone will NOT see my new Public Mobile SIM card.
It boots up and says "NO SIM" Emergency calls only.
I searched the community, and saw a similar post where the SIM was too thin, and they solved it with a piece of tape on the back to "thicken" it a little.  Tried this, it did not help.
I put my Virgin SIM back in, it works, with "no service" message. (because my account is cancelled)
Put Public Mobile SIM back, still says "NO SIM"  The phone is NOT seeing the SIM.  (Different from "no service")
So I tried the second SIM I received from Public mobile for my other phone. (Not activated)
Get the same message "NO SIM"
I then tried BOTH Public Mobile SIM's in my other phone (Blackberry)  Same message: "NO SIM"
I need help!   Is it possible I have TWO defective Public Mobile SIM's?????
To summarize:
Two new Public Mobile SIM cards. (One active and one not)
Two phones (Blackberry and Galaxy S5)
Both phones work with Virgin SIM cards.
Neither Phone will recognise EITHER new Public Mobile SIM (one active and one not)
I am now WITHOUT Phone service, Please HELP!

BOTH PHONES ARE UNLOCKED and COMPATIBLE with PM

48 REPLIES 48

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Visce I'm pretty sure Moto G should be fine, I know there are folks on PM that use those.  

You said it's unlocked--did you buy it as an unlocked phone?  Or did you buy it originally locked to a carrier and subsequently had it unlocked?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I once had a phone that allowed me to put the SIM card in upside down!

I felt stupid after two hours of thinking my phone and SIM card were broken to realize my mistake!

Visce
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for the suggestion, it was worth a shot even if it didn't work for me! If you guys don't have any other suggestions, I may need to return this phone. Seems like only being able to recognize "some" sim cards should be considered a defect.

@Visce PM has only 1 type of SIM; the tri-sim.

Try a piece of scotch tape on the BACK, not the gold side, of the SIM. That has helped some people.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Visce

It's a Moto G 3rd gen, 16gb version. Just has the one sim tray.

srlawren

@Visce what phone do you have?  Be as specific as possible, some phones have sub-models.

Does it have dual SIM trays? If so, have you tried the "other" tray?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Visce

Hello, I'm having a similar problem and I'm not sure if anyone is able to help with my specific issue.

My new Public Mobile sim is not defective in itself, it works in other phones. However, I troubleshooted the phone and the phone itself is not defective, and it is unlocked... but it IS extremely picky about sim cards. The Best Buy employee who helped me suggested I ask the carrier for an older type of sim card (if I was sent a newer type) or ask for a newer type (if I was sent an older type).

Is this a request I can even make to the company?

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @leeyh99,

I can see in your accoun that @Shazia_K had already reapplied a 10 days plan to your account on Friday. 

Can you confirm that your service is functional?

Cheers,

Kalla

leeyh99

@Kalla_A

No, not at all!  Still haven' got any response from the PM staff who said to reply me shortly!!!

So again and again, my story is :

My first SIM card was defective as it was not recognized by any phones including mine. I ordered a second SIM card and it come so late that my 10day plan, which I never used duo to the bad SIM card, already expired. The new SIM card seems ok. Please either refund me or extend me plan for another 10 days. Thanks!

urgent , please!!!!

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @leeyh99,

Is everything now in order? 

Let me know if you need further assistance 🙂

Cheers,

Kalla

leeyh99

i haven't seen any private message.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @leeyh99

In order for us to better communicate in a more efficient way, please make sure to view your private messages. Delaying may cause some confusion.

Should you need any assistance, please send me a private message. I'd be glad to help you out.

Cheers!

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle
Not sure if you know that you view private messages by clicking the small envelope just to the right of your name.

Or if you are using your phone now, by clicking the small figure at the top right of the screen.

If you have not received any private messages something has delayed @Shazia_K.

leeyh99

Shortly,shortly, when? You said to reply me shortly a few days ago. Until now, I haven't received any response. 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @leeyh99

I'm sorry about this, 

I did receive your private message and I will reply shortly. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

leeyh99

New SIM card seems ok, but my plan which I never used due to the defective first SIM card is expired. Please either refund me or extend my plan at no charge. Thank you!

leeyh99

No reply received! I am new comer in town and can' afford to wait any longer.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @leeyh99,

I'm sorry about this, 

I did receive a private message from you, I will reply right back. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

leeyh99

Sorry,I have not  seen any private messages. Please send me an email if possible. ********************

leeyh99

My First SIM seemed defective as it showed No SIM Card. I ordered a secon SIM (order number 62966) and it hasn't arrived yet although I checked mailbox everyday. Meanwhile my plan expired on 11 th. So far, I have paid 15 dollars for nothing. What to do?  just wonder how to get my money back. Everything is weird! 

@srlawren All in a days work at Public Mobile! Amazing what you can get volunteers to do, eh? Robot LOL

srlawren

Great work, @Luddite!!!  That truly is going above and beyond, even for an oracle!  🙂  I'd bravo you a dozen times over, if I could.

You are welcome, any time.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Luddite

Thank you so much for helping out @tagor on Friday, you were just great! 

Have a good day! 

Shazia

Happy to help. Glad it all work out without too much aggravation.

Welcome to Public Mobile. Man Very Happy

tagor

Update:

A BIG Thank You to LUDDITE.

He offered to give me an un-used SIM he had.

He also worked with the moderator to activate it on my account.

I drove to his house and picked it up.

The phone worked immediately.

He went above annd beyond, thanks again.

I definately had TWO defective SIM cards.

It is CONFIRMED, there a a number of BAD SIMS being sent out.

Hopefully the batch is not too large.

srlawren

@tagor yes I agree that it's starting to smell like a bad batch of SIM cards indeed.  I just wanted to elminate as many variables and other possible causes as possible.  I hope you and @Tyler21 both get a suitable resolution, sooner than later.  Sorry for your rough start with Public Mobile 😞

Tyler21

Thats a great idea, thank you. 

@Tyler21 You could try creating a new thread: "Anyone near my postal code with a spare SIM?"

Then summarize the issue and put in the first 3 characters of your postal code plus your city into the body of the post. Someone nearby may have a spare.

Of course continue working with Shazia in case it is not a defective SIM.

Tyler21

yeah, mine is for sure unlocked, was locked to rogers and I had to get it unlocked to work with wind mobile, but the service was horrible, so here I am. Im pretty sure its just a bad batch of sims, I ordered a few more last night, hopefully one of them will be in working condition. Still sucks to see that I paid for this service I won't be receiving for at least 5-6 days total now. 

Need Help? Let's chat.