cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Limited Time Offer" pressures?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

High Pressure Sales Techniques

"Limited-time offers pressure customers who are on the fence to buy something without thinking. Even among customers who might not otherwise buy a product, hearing that a product might not be available tomorrow can be a game-changer. Salespeople may also use this trick by telling you that a discount will only be around for a limited time. Related to the limited-time offer is the limited availability tactic. If you believe that there are only five items available, you'll see them as more valuable, increasing your likelihood of buying."

I keep asking myself why is mobile data so precious, so much in demand?  Why do so many people eagerly, unthinkingly grasp at any "better" mobile data offer that's thrust before them?

I admit that I'm trolling a little here.  But I honestly can't understand why people are willing to throw away their loyalty to something proven because something "better" suddenly becomes available "for a limited time".  Maybe I'm too cynical, "if it's too good to be true..." and all that usual cynicism.  Certainly I've noticed those who suffer most are always those who want immediate gains and the easiest path to get more for less.  Sure, if I see a deal for "5000GB of mobile data for $5/month" then you bet I'll look into it - quite seriously! - but I'd evaluate it both in terms of what it gives me and what it takes from me.  Seeing "this exclusive one-time offer expires soon!" automatically sends up warning flags that there's a catch and something in the fine print is somehow too good to be true to be taken at face value - the offer wouldn't need to rush a decision if it could sell itself on its own merits after a period of careful scrutiny, analysis, and contemplation.

And we're talking about mobile data here.  Maybe Koodo offers 5GB for $40 right now zomg!  But maybe they'll offer 5GB next week or next month, maybe they'll offer 6GB.  Maybe 10GB.  I don't get why the rush.  It could only be because I hate being rushed (as much as I hate being made to wait - I like doing things at my own pace, lol).  Just saying that letting a "limited time" offer slip by might be a lost opportunity but chances are another (probably better) offer is sure to come along.

34 REPLIES 34

@Korthwrote:

@zhadj030

That was sort of the point of my OP in this thread.

The "limited time offer" was a high pressure sales tactic meant to create impulsive uninformed agreement.  A decision based less on reason than on panic.

Not saying the decision itself was bad, joining Koodo and accepting their offer (which is a pretty good offer) is the "best" choice for some PM customers.  My complaint is that they resorted to this tactic at all, they rammed an arbitrary deadline onto customers, they used what amounts to being scare tactics.  Not cool, I expected better.

I was just confirming your point more 🙂 

@kav2001cwrote:

The Koodo offer of $40 for 5GB is best offer possible

People used to scam and jump through hoops to get the special loophole plans of $48 for 5GB 

lol now Koodo offers better plan and people say hmm maybe I will think about it

Considering thousands of threads on how to get an out of province loop hole plan I do find it comical people are now debating / complaining about the new offer

Which has no strings attached and will actually qualify for a Tab (the $60 plan, and out of province plans were not possible to upgrade. Most people were terrified to even call customer service in case they get booted off the plan)

No one should say  $40 for 5GB is not a very good deal. But considering that we have been tasting honey for months , sugar doesn't convince as much anymore. 

It is still sugar if all you are eating is dark chocolat

@zhadj030

That was sort of the point of my OP in this thread.

The "limited time offer" was a high pressure sales tactic meant to create impulsive uninformed agreement.  A decision based less on reason than on panic.

Not saying the decision itself was bad, joining Koodo and accepting their offer (which is a pretty good offer) is the "best" choice for some PM customers.  My complaint is that they resorted to this tactic at all, they rammed an arbitrary deadline onto customers, they used what amounts to being scare tactics.  Not cool, I expected better.

PhoneSeeker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Garrywrote:

Enjoy it while it lasts......

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were to target specific referrals(clients) tied to low ARPU accounts such as yours.

Something to think about!🤔

Have a good one.

Targetting Oracles would be the epitome of evil. Cat Mad

@Korthwrote:

@will13am

So you want to make decisions based on the best information available, even if it means waiting a while for the information to become available.  Patient.  Prudent.  The clock is ticking but there is still time.

Not the same as the impulsive ship jumpers who leaped without looking and found themselves stuck in the water.

This honestly the right thing to do. I was a bit lucky that my renewal was a month and something ago, so even now I am still weighting the pros-cons

Korth
Mayor / Maire

A low revenue account is still always better than no revenue from no account.

You can't make a horse drink, you can't bleed a stone, etc ... some of us just won't or just can't accept high ARPU contracts.  Paying more can buy more, but why pay more to buy more if you already pay less to buy enough of what you need/want?  The Koodo promos are a good option for PM customers who do need/want more, but that doesn't mean they're the best (or only) option for all PM customers.

I don't see any need for negativity from people who choose to stay with PM or from people who choose to move from PM to Koodo.  We all get the choice and made (or will make) that choice based on what we think best, not sure why that should condemn all those who make the opposite choice.

Garry

Enjoy it while it lasts......

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were to target specific referrals(clients) tied to low ARPU accounts such as yours.

Something to think about!🤔

Have a good one.

@Garrywrote:

Anyone remaining with PM now must be with the band!!!

Remember.........They played their tunes right to the bitter end with no more lifeboats available. 

Don't be left without...... take the offer asap.

With my rewards I pay $22 a month why pay almost double for what I have now???

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Garry

@mimmowrote:

@Garry I'm on the promo plan and am not leaving.   I don't need  an extra gig of data nor any of the benefits of the koodo plan.

Fair enough @mimmo.

Everyone must choose what best suits their individual needs. 

All the best to you going forward. 

Cheers,

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Garry I'm on the promo plan and am not leaving.   I don't need  an extra gig of data nor any of the benefits of the koodo plan.

Garry

I didn't think I had to spell it out in black and white for anyone with reasonable intelligence that my reply was specifically directed to 12gb/90day Public Mobile prepaid clients with current "Limited Time Offers" available from Koodo.

mimmo

@wetcoaster well said

@Garrywrote:

Remember.........They played their tunes right to the bitter end with no more lifeboats available. 

@Garry

Tunnel vision much?

Not everybody is on the 12GB/$120/90days plan, so a fair amount of people didn't get a migration offer at all. Also, some of us are here and intend to remain with Public Mobile because our plans are by far the best bang for the buck and we don't have real alternatives where we live and for what we need.

I don't believe that PM is going out of business. Readjusting and repositioning within the Telus family perhaps, but closing shop? No. So, voting with my valet since I don't really trust big corporations to begin with, as long as my plan (not a promo plan) fits my needs and my budget, I'll stay.

Garry

@kav2001cwrote:

We all know people like the Public brand

Because usually things were different here

Many disgruntled clients went to Public after getting shafted by previous carriers

Hence the hesitation to go back to contract / postpaid services

A move to Koodo is only a move to post paid which could be an insurmountable challenge for some who cannot pass the credit check.  Other than that, there's no contract with Koodo.   In fact if you look at the existing renewal as a contract is sorts, Public Mobile is more onerous at 90 days.  On post paid, you can up and leave on the spot.  

The reluctance to leave was due to the migration offer being not as good as the existing plan on both features and price.  Throw in a 25% for noon conformists and you have all the ingredients for a mutiny.  The addition of 1 more gig of data addresses the biggest feature discrepancy.  The 12 gigs over 90 days plus option to early renew is effectively as good if not slightly better than a fixed 5 gigs per month.  Other discrepancies that I thought should have been dealt with are loss of call forwarding and providing a migration window that better matches customer renewal date.  The $100 bill credit falls way short of the mark for covering increase monthly cost, stranded usage and account funds, inconvenience of switching and having to pay $15 for SIM card that many long term Public Mobile customers got for free.  If Telus takes one more mulligan and sweetens the offer further with any or all of what I mentioned, I am confident that the vast majority of the targeted customers would head for the exit like mice fleeing a sinking ship.

We all know people like the Public brand

Because usually things were different here

Many disgruntled clients went to Public after getting shafted by previous carriers

Hence the hesitation to go back to contract / postpaid services

@kav2001cwrote:

People used to scam and jump through hoops to get the special loophole plans of $48 for 5GB 

Considering thousands of threads on how to get an out of province loop hole plan I do find it comical people are now debating / complaining about the new offer

Which has no strings attached and will actually qualify for a Tab (the $60 plan, and out of province plans were not possible to upgrade. Most people were terrified to even call customer service in case they get booted off the plan)

I don't think there's much doubt that the $40 4GB and 5GB plans are very good, comparitively speaking, when judged up against the current offerings.

I also believe that the fact that these plans still aren't a slam dunk in getting Public Mobile customers to switch is a testiment to how good the Public Mobile promo plan really is.  Even when not even factoring in the prepaid/postpaid debate,  the Public Mobile fall promo paln can still be considerbly less expensive when taking into account reward amounts. Each person is just going to have to decide if Canada-wide and an extra 1GB of data is worth enough to them to potentially pay more.

@Watoko yup but as they are shared data simply add them onto whichever plans you choose

Tons of posts on how to go through the hoops online should you be curious Cat Wink

But that's what I mean

Its like either learn to love the loop or take the 5GB Koodo promo

Both ways net great plans (& I can't imagine paying $60 per phone in this day & age)

Telus also offers 80GB mobile data option for $350 (just $300 "for a limited time"), lol, no other carrier can match that on a raw $/GB basis.

I swear I saw a 100GB option before, but I guess they downsized.

I wonder if generic Koodo promo codes can be used alongside the $100 leave-PM-come-Koodo bribe.  "$25 off any order for New Customers" or "Save 10% on monthly base plan with automatic top-ups", for example.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

A deal is all relative to however much one is currently paying, and unsurprisingly a fair number of Canadians were paying much more than $60 for 10GB of data so for them, it's still a deal.

Are the plans you're quoting data only plans?

Really? Meh

Telus offers 15GB for $35 (and even that comes with a bonus GB now so 16GB for $35) right now as we speak

Need less data? 12GB for $25 is available

7GB for $15 seems to be expired

The $60 plan is only cheaper on a single line (sometimes) and only useful if you never get/want/need a hardware upgrade

@Watokowrote:

I completely agree! Even MobileSyrup reported that analysts don't think the recent $60/10GB promos will ever come back.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/21/holiday-60-10gb-price-war-not-likely-to-happen-again-analyst/

As you know what they say, you snooze, you lose.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@torontokriswrote:

Fair point. But in canada telecom deals are far between. You miss it they barely ever come back. The promo deal was cancelled before Black Friday which people held off thinking a better deal on BF but didn't happen.

Sure are other deals may come but who knows when. Others are worried what the future of PM and this plan is now so they want to leave since a deal came. 

Blame lack of competition in Canadian wireless and/or customers willing to pay $100/month for a Rogers plan and a $1200 iPhone 

I completely agree! Even MobileSyrup reported that analysts don't think the recent $60/10GB promos will ever come back.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/21/holiday-60-10gb-price-war-not-likely-to-happen-again-analyst/

As you know what they say, you snooze, you lose.

@Korthwrote:

@will13am

So you want to make decisions based on the best information available, even if it means waiting a while for the information to become available.  Patient.  Prudent.  The clock is ticking but there is still time.

Not the same as the impulsive ship jumpers who leaped without looking and found themselves stuck in the water.

Slow down the trolling my friend.  Please read my posts carefully.  Did I not say that right to the end date, I will be examining the options?  Even then the decision will be based on less them perfect information.

@will13am

@Korthwrote:

@will13am

I was trolling, I admitted as much in my tl;dr OP, lol.

Yeah, "no surprises" followed by "surprise! +25%" followed by "limited-time offer" was a series of gut punches, I'd be just as wary (and keep one eye on the exit, the other on alternatives) if it had affected me.  And I'm not entirely unaffected - PM's integrity has been compromised, I have to wonder how long before they give me an unpleasant "surprise".

What I didn't (still don't) understand is many people apparently biting hard on the "take this offer now, soon, quickly before it expires!" ... sometimes this is a good move, yes, but usually it means there's some kind of hook under the bait ... and a number of people have ported back (or want to port back) to PM because they didn't like tasting hard metal.

@Korth, don't get me wrong, it is not an easy decision and that is why you don't see me saying I have left or I am staying.  There are reasons for either outcome.  This is due to my crystal ball being a big hazy.  I don't know what the future holds.  I can only try to read between the lines and anticipate their next move so I can stay ahead of the curve.  I continue to collect data and ask those who have left what the hard steel taste like.  There is still lots of time on the clock.  I will use it wisely to make the most informed decision even if it is informed by a not so perfect crystal ball.

@will13am

I was trolling, I admitted as much in my tl;dr OP, lol.

Yeah, "no surprises" followed by "surprise! +25%" followed by "limited-time offer" was a series of gut punches, I'd be just as wary (and keep one eye on the exit, the other on alternatives) if it had affected me.  And I'm not entirely unaffected - PM's integrity has been compromised, I have to wonder how long before they give me an unpleasant "surprise".

What I didn't (still don't) understand is many people apparently biting hard on the "take this offer now, soon, quickly before it expires!" ... sometimes this is a good move, yes, but usually it means there's some kind of hook under the bait ... and a number of people have ported back (or want to port back) to PM because they didn't like tasting hard metal.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Korth, tl;dr.  You are trolling.  You know me, I am loyal to my wallet first, everything else a distant second, third...  We were all very loyal to this service, none more than the oracle team.  I remain loyal to what is consistent with being loyal to the wallet.  When out of nowhere a 25% increase is thrown our way, it affects the very foundation of trust and therefore loyalty.  Until this ever changing offer expires, I will continue to think through my options.  Even IF I end up staying, the relationship will never be the same again.  Je me souviens.  

mimmo

@Korth by worse i meant a worse offer they might just offer 4gb instead of the current 5.  or they might not offer the 100$ credit.  people will take the offer they feel is right for them.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth I don't think it will go anywhere either. I actually would have bet Telus will try and draw more people to it. No retail stores to run/pay rent for, no customer service phone lines. Only a forum with mods. I'm actually shocked they aren't getting koodo ppl to move to pm. Maybe that was the plan during the fall promo. Then it was to steal freedom subscribers during spring 2017 by offering them the plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.