cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

"Generic Error" upon activation

Hello,

I picked my phone number, tried to activate my account via $40 voucher, clicked over to next screen and got a "generic error".  Advised to logout out, I did and now my SIM card number is invalid.  My attempt at accessing my account with my email and my chosen password also failed. I also put the SIM into my iPhone and no service is shown. Does anyone have a solution? I especially would like to keep the same phone number that I chose.  

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: "Generic Error" upon activation

@REFDo note, the Public has a time out mechanism, if you try too often it will lock you out for good.. As in the other thread, I suggest you try later in the evening. hopefully the system will have stopped blocking you or at least the SIM will be working in your iPhone.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Your sim card is probably held "in session" now until it times out, which takes about an hour. Try again after an hour!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@REF Did you activate a new number or port a number from another mobile?  If your credit card was charged, hopefully the account/phone number is in the process of being set up.  Porting a number can take a couple of hours.  Put the SIM card in your phone and re-boot to check whether it was activated anyways.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@REF 

The website is finicky. Might want to try clearing cache, different web browser or incognito mode.  Chrome incognito works well.  Sometimes give some time in between attempts.  

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you. I've emptied my caches and tried Chrome incognito. Now I'll wait another hour and try to login once again. Not a great start to Public Mobile service, though the community here is very helpful. Thank you.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi @REF , is your sim working now? I had the same issue (generic error & invalid sim) when I tried to activate my sim 2 weeks ago. I waited the next day and it still said invalid sim. So I sent a private message to the moderators and they replied within a couple hours and fixed it right away. Hopefully yours will work soon but if not, just send them a private message with your name, Public Mobile phone # you chose, and your sim card # and they should be able to assist you. Welcome to PM! 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@REF wrote:

Hello,

I picked my phone number, tried to activate my account via $40 voucher, clicked over to next screen and got a "generic error".  Advised to logout out, I did and now my SIM card number is invalid.  My attempt at accessing my account with my email and my chosen password also failed. I also put the SIM into my iPhone and no service is shown. Does anyone have a solution? I especially would like to keep the same phone number that I chose.  

Thanks in advance!

Wait an hour and try again. If you still have the same issue, email a moderator at the link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/22437

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@REF you can try and call *611 to see if your active

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@RossN *611 won't work if he get "No Service" on his iPhone.
Need Help? Let's chat.