cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Generic Error" upon activation

REF
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I picked my phone number, tried to activate my account via $40 voucher, clicked over to next screen and got a "generic error".  Advised to logout out, I did and now my SIM card number is invalid.  My attempt at accessing my account with my email and my chosen password also failed. I also put the SIM into my iPhone and no service is shown. Does anyone have a solution? I especially would like to keep the same phone number that I chose.  

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

jordan23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi @REF , is your sim working now? I had the same issue (generic error & invalid sim) when I tried to activate my sim 2 weeks ago. I waited the next day and it still said invalid sim. So I sent a private message to the moderators and they replied within a couple hours and fixed it right away. Hopefully yours will work soon but if not, just send them a private message with your name, Public Mobile phone # you chose, and your sim card # and they should be able to assist you. Welcome to PM! 

REF
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you. I've emptied my caches and tried Chrome incognito. Now I'll wait another hour and try to login once again. Not a great start to Public Mobile service, though the community here is very helpful. Thank you.

@RossN *611 won't work if he get "No Service" on his iPhone.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@REF you can try and call *611 to see if your active

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@REF wrote:

Hello,

I picked my phone number, tried to activate my account via $40 voucher, clicked over to next screen and got a "generic error".  Advised to logout out, I did and now my SIM card number is invalid.  My attempt at accessing my account with my email and my chosen password also failed. I also put the SIM into my iPhone and no service is shown. Does anyone have a solution? I especially would like to keep the same phone number that I chose.  

Thanks in advance!

Wait an hour and try again. If you still have the same issue, email a moderator at the link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/22437

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@REF 

The website is finicky. Might want to try clearing cache, different web browser or incognito mode.  Chrome incognito works well.  Sometimes give some time in between attempts.  

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@REF Did you activate a new number or port a number from another mobile?  If your credit card was charged, hopefully the account/phone number is in the process of being set up.  Porting a number can take a couple of hours.  Put the SIM card in your phone and re-boot to check whether it was activated anyways.

chelsealzl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Your sim card is probably held "in session" now until it times out, which takes about an hour. Try again after an hour!

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@REFDo note, the Public has a time out mechanism, if you try too often it will lock you out for good.. As in the other thread, I suggest you try later in the evening. hopefully the system will have stopped blocking you or at least the SIM will be working in your iPhone.

Need Help? Let's chat.