cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Fido" trying to steal my brand new phone number, is this normal?!

Culter
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Am I being hacked or is this normal  for PM? I got the SIM just 2 days ago and was assigned a phone number. I have unexpected texts from PM saying reply YES/NO to authorize porting my number to a different carrier. I replied no to the first text and did not reply to second one. Now I have a text from Fido (I never) saying they can't port my number because the account holder (me?) did not authorize it (**bleep** right I didn't). The text has a spelling mistake. 

I also have a text from PM with a 6digit code to complete my selfserve registration, but I'm here so didn't I just register already without needing a code. 

The shop that set up my new account says report this to PM. How?

23 REPLIES 23

@Culter  My guess is that you email has been comprised. You should change your password ASAP and enable  an authenticator app for 2FA. They obviously are trying to take over your number so that they take over all your 2FA accounts.

@Culter wrote:

Update again: Catherine says the previous moderator was wrong, the 4799 messages really are from Public Mobile so someone really is trying to get my number. Plus there's a third attempt today. Arrrgh (hey if i let them have the number, do you think I can get a better one? )

The fact the port-out requests are getting far enough to require your confirmation means that they know:

• Your account number
  • Your name
  • Your phone number

Public mobile does not actually require your account "name" to be accurate, and it is totally separate from the name associated with a registered credit card. I recommend logging into your self-serve portal and either changing the spelling of your name slightly (add some extra yyy or zzz after or before first/last names) or throw a completely different name in there (ie Justin Trudeau or Ren Stimpy)

This will possibly cause the port-out requests to fail before getting to the point of sending you a confirmation text...

@Culter wrote:

Update again: Catherine says the previous moderator was wrong, the 4799 messages really are from Public Mobile so someone really is trying to get my number. Plus there's a third attempt today. Arrrgh (hey if i let them have the number, do you think I can get a better one? )

No, because if you allow the port out, your Public Mobile account will get closed.

@Culter they have your identity... it doesn't matter if you give them this number. they'll take your new number also. you need to take steps to secure your identity. they could've already made other accounts under your name. banks accounts, PayPal etc. 

you can also call fido and tell them to put a note on file that someone is trying to commit fraud and to not activate any accounts under your name

Culter

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi there! 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the exact SMS message to help us further investigate? 

In terms of the 6-digit code, it is a required step when creating a Self-Serve account if you activated with one of our retailers. If you activated online, you will have already completed this step as part of your activation process. Here is a help article on this topic. 

Thanks,

Cat

@computergeek541 , @Culter  did Public Mobile say which number the text would come from?

@Catherine_T   is it possible for you to post an announcement on this? Thanks

@Culter The other possibility is Public Mobile really sending that message, but in error. Public Mobile has sent messages to customers by mistake before.

Culter

Update: Alex the moderator says there's no suspicious activity on my account and no request for transfer, so Public Mobile didn't send me messages either.   

To sum up, PM says nobody tried to transfer, Fido doesn't even know who I am, Freedom doesn't know I'm shopping around, the Mobile Shop guy says he's innocent, and I replied to a fake text.  

Meanwhile, the text confirmation before releasing your phone number for porting is a real thing phone carriers do now, just don't fall for a scam message like I did. 

@Culter The message is sent by Public Mobile.

Culter

Update- Mandeep on fido chat says they do not send texts if I don't have a fido account, so today's message can't be from them .

finally, something so simple can create such a huge impact! I remember we were talking about this a couple months ago. I'm glad they implemented this procedure

Culter

The 2 texts from PM came from number "4799". To summarize, they got a request to port my number to another carrier. Reply yes, no, or "otherwise we'll keep everything as is". First time i replied no, second time I didn't reply. It must have worked because the fido message from "6474489950" says we cannot transfer because the account holder has not authorized . 

@gblackma 

I believe that the text message comes from 611. If the customer ignores or otherwise doesn't reply with 90 minutes, Public Mobile will decline other carrier's request.

@gpixel No: No response means that you don't approve the request.

Further information is available at https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

@computergeek541 so are you saying that public mobile now has fraud port protection via text message? If so, from which number? And why weren't we the community informed of this.  And what happens if you miss the message an don't reply to it. Thanks. Stay safe. 

@computergeek541 is there a grace period where if you don't reply they will still continue with the port. or do you have to "confirm" with pm? this is a big + for security!

@computergeek541 wrote:

@gblackma @RossN There's no longer a need to contact moderators to stop a port out. Replying with "no" by text message will do just that.

@computergeek541 that's good to know thanks it's about time they did something about this issue 

@gblackma @RossN There's no longer a need to contact moderators to stop a port out. Replying with "no" by text message will do just that.

@Culter As long as the other person does not have access to your active Public Mobile sim card, the other person cannot approve porting request on your behalf. As of August 5, 2020, Public Mobile requires departing customers to confirm any port out request via text message.  That being said, it would be a good idea to change your self serve password so that someone can't change the active sim card.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Culter if I were you I would spend a lot of time investigating the shop that activated you. someone is trying to sim jack you. pay close attention to your bank accounts and everything else.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Culter , if the text was not sent in error, this was an attempt at simjacking.  Definitely bring this up with the moderator team as already recommended.  Separately, you should contact Fido to find out more about the attempt to port your number.  Fido should be aware of the nefarious activity.  

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Culter hello to contact a moderator  click on the ? Bottom right hand corner Ask Simon to speak to a human this will help create a ticket to speak to a moderator mention unauthorized port attempt  check the envelope top right corner for a reply response time is 2 to 48 hours

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Culter change the name on your account to prevent the porting and contact the moderators and ask them to stop the port. And to look into this. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.