cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting telus prepaid and chatr to PM

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey all, thanks for all the help and suggestions recently.  I have two more friends wanting to port over to PM soon.  

the first is porting from Chatr I think this should be pretty straight forward (account name and number)

I am however curious about Telus prepaid as I have never ported one of these numbers. (saw a post saying it was similar to koodo)  do I have to/should I use a different email address than what they currently using with telus and what is the best way to find the account number? 

I just want to be prepared and have a smooth port.

thanks

19 REPLIES 19

@yjedi1238 wrote:

Just Ported my Telus Prepaid number to Public .....about 2 days after new Public number activation.. Used different email and porting from Telus prepaid to Public was easy and took about 2 minutes to show a successful number port. Powered both sims down and inserted Public sim and powered up and Voila ....everything works fine....

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

Don't forget to claim your free holiday gifts. Link below!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Free-Gifts-for-All-During-our-More-is-M...

Also try your luck for $100 Amazon gift card. Link below!.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Win-a-100-Amazon-gift-card-with-our-Mor...

Happy Holidays!

yjedi1238
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just Ported my Telus Prepaid number to Public .....about 2 days after new Public number activation.. Used different email and porting from Telus prepaid to Public was easy and took about 2 minutes to show a successful number port. Powered both sims down and inserted Public sim and powered up and Voila ....everything works fine....

yjedi1238

I activated a new number on Public today....from all relliable sources , porting a prepaid Telus number to Public is sometimes unpredictable. I was told by the Walmart rep to activate a new Public number and when you are sure everything is working fine ....you can then do a number change from your account and port your Telus number over... I will be attempting this in a day or two....

@PM_User wrote:

I just ported over this morning from Telus to PM.  Took about 30 minutes.  One gotcha -- maybe even a stupid user error.  Take out the old Sim 1st.  Smiley Happy

My phone has two slots and I just put the PM sim into Slot 2.  Bad idea.  As soon as I took out the old (and now useless) Telus sim it worked like a charm.

For the purposes of activation and porting, it really doesn't matter where your sim cards are inserted, or even if the Public Mobile sim card is in any phone at all.  The actual activation and porting would go through the same,  regardless.

LIkely, what happened in your case was a restriction in the sim card slots, based on the phone's design.   Most dual-sim card phones only support 3g network connections in the first sim card slot.  Some other dual sim card phones support a 3g connection in only 1 slot at a time or only in the 2nd slot if there is no sim card that is connecting to 3g in sim1.  The Telus/Public network doesn't have any 2g, so while your Telus sim was still in the frist slot, it's likely that only Rogers 2g would work in the second slot.

Thanks for sharing and updating us if someone have dual SIM phone they can use your advice as well for future reference thanks
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

PM_User

I just ported over this morning from Telus to PM.  Took about 30 minutes.  One gotcha -- maybe even a stupid user error.  Take out the old Sim 1st.  Smiley Happy

My phone has two slots and I just put the PM sim into Slot 2.  Bad idea.  As soon as I took out the old (and now useless) Telus sim it worked like a charm.

SD08

@Shazia_K  Thanks very much for this clarification.  I'm glad I don't have to wonder any longer.  It's always good to be precise when giving advice.  Smiley Happy

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @hv397

I understand you can go ahead and use the same email but because we use the same platform as Koodo prepaid, you might not able to access your self-serve account once the port has completed. Usually, our tech teams are able to fix the self-serve access within a few days to a week. 

If accessing self-serve right away is not needed to you then I don't see any issues. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

hv397

@Shazia_K,

is there any specific reasons behind not using same email with Koodo or any other provider? i keep peticular email for all my cellphone plans. i would like to keep that way. but it seems this will make me use separate email for new plan.

how about changing email after profile is created and number is ported? can i switch it to the original email that i wanted to keep?

Thanks,

-Hv397

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Samianauman

Yes, anything else than Koodo prepaid like I said no issues 😉 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Great this will resolve lots of confusion also telus prepaid can use same email ?
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @SD08

Thank you for reaching out! 🙂 

The answer to your question is that we should only advise new customers to use a separate email address when coming from **Koodo prepaid**.

Telus, Koodo postpaid etc.. can use the same email address no issues 🙂 

I hope this answers your question. 

Thanks,

Shazia

@SD08 wrote:

I have been seeing different advice regarding the use of a separate e-mail address when porting from Telus to PM. Some say to use a separate e-mail when porting from either Telus or Koodo to PM, but others say it's only necessary when porting from Koodo. I used to advise using a separate address in both cases just to be safe. Now I'd like to get a definitive answer on this from a moderator, just so we can all be on the same page when giving advice in the future. @Shazia_K could you clarify this please?

Why take chances when email aliases work so well.  Now that I have used it, it is rather convenient.  I append part of my phone number at the end and it makes remembering the login really easy.

Shouldn't be prepaid is simple and easy while postpaid only thing to look after is there's no pending balance owe and stuff but porting should be same pretty sure

mimmo
The other question is there a difference between telus prepaid and tellus postpaid.

SD08

I have been seeing different advice regarding the use of a separate e-mail address when porting from Telus to PM. Some say to use a separate e-mail when porting from either Telus or Koodo to PM, but others say it's only necessary when porting from Koodo. I used to advise using a separate address in both cases just to be safe. Now I'd like to get a definitive answer on this from a moderator, just so we can all be on the same page when giving advice in the future. @Shazia_K could you clarify this please?

Chatr will be easy porting to pm
But for telus i would also suggest different email address just to make a nice and easy porting since your friend changing carrier and you want them to be comfortable with public mobile if thry use same email the one they using with telus lets say if get stuck then that would give them a bad impression about pm I would say why risk a porting when you know how to make it smooth process like a silk

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Yes I would do the same, use another email just to be safe, even if it is probably not required.

For the account number, do they have a web account to login your Telus account? If yes, you should be able to find it there, or else by calling the customer center 🙂

echf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo wrote:

Hey all, thanks for all the help and suggestions recently.  I have two more friends wanting to port over to PM soon.  

the first is porting from Chatr I think this should be pretty straight forward (account name and number)

I am however curious about Telus prepaid as I have never ported one of these numbers. (saw a post saying it was similar to koodo)  do I have to/should I use a different email address than what they currently using with telus and what is the best way to find the account number? 

I just want to be prepared and have a smooth port.

thanks

To find your Telus account number:
https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/find-your-account-number

According to existed inforamtion, Telus and Public Mobile don't share the same backend system (Koodo do share with PM). If you are with Telus, it is not necessary to use a different email to register with PM. However, to be safe, you may wish to use a different email address.

Need Help? Let's chat.