cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting out number and back to get promo $30 / 1GB

apper_on
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just wondering if anyone has tried to port out their number from PM to another provider and back to PM to get the $30 1GB plan. If so was your effort successful?

I had signed up three weeks before the promo started (after being with rogers for 20+ years) and the mods said that there is nothing they can do to allow me to sign up to the promo plan. 

9 REPLIES 9

apper_on

@Lana Did you port out the two phones you mentioned from PM to Virgin and back to PM?

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

@apper_onwrote:

Just wondering if anyone has tried to port out their number from PM to another provider and back to PM to get the $30 1GB plan. If so was your effort successful?

I had signed up three weeks before the promo started (after being with rogers for 20+ years) and the mods said that there is nothing they can do to allow me to sign up to the promo plan. 

I am not going to try, since my rewards are worth way more than an extra 0.5 gb 😉

However if you do everything within the time limit you should be ok.

If you are around the end of your billing cycle and don't have any accumulated credit, it would definitively be worth it for you. You migh be able to enjoy the new promo (1 free month + 1 free SIM) before it ends, but don't count on it if there are delays in porting out or back...

@Lanawrote:

I have activated 2 phones with public in the last week.  Bought both SIM cards - activated 1 there then due to time restraints activated 1 yesterday afternoon.  This "deal" was not mentioned to me at all.  I ported both numbers from Virgin

The deal wasn't mentionned because it starts today at 1:00PM...

Lana

I have activated 2 phones with public in the last week.  Bought both SIM cards - activated 1 there then due to time restraints activated 1 yesterday afternoon.  This "deal" was not mentioned to me at all.  I ported both numbers from Virgin

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@apper_on you will also need to use a different email address when signing up to pm again. This would also mean changing the email address of your community account so that it is the same as your new profile.

Or changing your existing account username and asking mods to change the hidden email address on the account before you port out.

@Korthwrote:

Public Mobile is also offering a free month of service with free SIM card.  For new customers.

Along with the $30/30 day 1GB promo.  For new customers.

But there's no guarantee these offers will still be available next month.

PM still requires that you activate and prepay your plan upfront.  They then credit the plan cost to your account so technically it's your second 30 days that are free.

Chatr (and Fido) require that you sign a 2-year Tab24 agreement.  With a buyout/penalty if you terminate it early.  So it's not worthwhile to exploit for this purpose, unless maybe you want to buy (and unlock) a new phone at a subsidized price.

Sorry to say this, you really need to keep to the facts when advising others.  Chatr is not Fido.  It's a prepaid service just like Public Mobile and there are no contracts.  Who cares about locked phones when there are no such things anymore.  Finally, the offers we are talking about here ends after the long weekend, so it won't be around for long.

Public Mobile is also offering a free month of service with free SIM card.  For new customers.

Along with the $30/30 day 1GB promo.  For new customers.

But there's no guarantee these offers will still be available next month.

PM still requires that you activate and prepay your plan upfront.  They then credit the plan cost to your account so technically it's your second 30 days that are free.

Chatr (and Fido) require that you sign a 2-year Tab24 agreement.  With a buyout/penalty if you terminate it early.  So it's not worthwhile to exploit for this purpose, unless maybe you want to buy (and unlock) a new phone at a subsidized price.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@apper_on, Chatr is giving one month free with free SIM card.  If you port to Chatr, sign up for the second month free promo at Walmart, and then port back from Chatr, you will end up right where you want to be at no extra cost to you.  In fact you would get the second month free which will pay for the stranded cost of porting.  It is a bit of a slide puzzle to get it done, but why not.  The carriers set the rules, it is up to the customer to figure out how best to work within the rules.  Shamelessly take advantage of everything you can. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@apper_on That promo is only for new customers so you must open a new account. Only way i see it is to port out your current number to another provide with a cheap temporary plan. Then you can port in your number to new PM account. 

PM also launched a new promo where you can get the next billing cycle cost as a credit for activating in store (walmart/wow mobile). If you do this, this might help you with the cost you will pay to temporarily port out your number to another carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.