cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug *** a solution for a cure

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Dear Community,

Many of you here have heard me grumble about my self named *poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug.  It had become so common for me I could easily excuse my minimalist approach to paragraphs, avoidance of editing, "walls of text"  and occasional spelling error on the fear of losing a post (especially it seemed the long, well thought ones) to this bug. I didn't even notice the first couple that disappeared a mere two weeks on the community. The first one i did notice was posted in the August Community Rewards thread . I was thrilled to achieve the top 25% and a $2 reward after just 10 days and wanted to express my appreciation for all the help I had recieved. I wrote, I posted, I admired my post and sometime later it just disappeared!

After that on a regular basis (at least once a week) *poof* another one would disappear! Some as soon as I hit post, some after editing, others I wouldn't notice at all thinking they were still there in a thread. Slowly other members were joining me inflicted with this rare bug of editorialism?  So I am sure @Jb456  @88cranston  @iPhoneUser  @Ed404  @PAULRANG18  @DonForgo  new guy @AE_Collector  and contributers @Dunkgirl  and @oglat  will be interested in how this plays out.

After @88cranston  posted his own topic riddled with his posts disappearing  @oglat  remembered she had been given a link to her unmoderated items and dug it out of her old posts for the pair of us suffering from this disheartening bug. Suddenly we had access to all the posts that went *poof* waiting to be cleared by a non existent  moderator. Asking to be edited but alas they cannot and forever be banished from the community. Every attempt to post them sent them right back to their self imposed quarantine.  Finally a flash bulb went off...screenshot! I tested and it worked. I posted a few important ones (at least to me) and left the other 30 or so alone in their cage.

As each new victim of this particularily picky *poof*the magic dragon disappearing post bug  sought a cure i would pass on my home remedy until @Ed404  caught the bug to his great dismay. His thread produced a possible cure from @Dunkgirl . She had evidence that  @Mary_M (retired) had a way of removing an editing filter that allowed your posts to be free...like a long haired hippie at Woodstock. Both @Ed404  and I inquired with the moderators but apparently the fix had been fixed. The fix was in! After @PAULRANG18  @DonForgo  came down with the bug @AE_Collector complained in Dave's letter he too was afflicted I passed on the link I checked the quarantine to discover my response to @Dave_M  had indeed went *poof*. I screenshotted and posted and pleaded for a cure in 2020.

To my great surprise @Tiana_V  reached out to ask for my help in public mobiles investigation  into a cure for the *poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug.  She responded with some new insight on our affliction.  As some had suspected it is not a bug at all but the spam filter causing the posts to go to the spam quarantine. She was able to give me the main reasons for our posts being labeled as spam and what to avoid when writing our posts:

1. Avoid wording resembling profanity, advertising or services.
  2. Incorrect URLS or the wrong format Such as starting with http:/.
  3. Text similar to an HTML or elements of it...etc...
  4. Any wording that could be misinterpreted as an advertisement.
  5. Spelling mistakes or issues related to spelling.
  6. Create more paragraphs and /or avoid long sequences of text. 

Going forward the spam quarantine or as we know it your unmoderated items will have not one but two moderators dedicated to the spam quarantine releasing each post back into the community. Helping the spam filter learn what is acceptable within the community . Eventually less and less posts will be earmarked as spam and *poof* disappear as the spam filter learns the parameters of its role rather than filter with impunity.

Thank you @Dave_M  for your letter about moving forward in 2020 and the new slogan "We're for you!" This is definitely for me....and the top of my wish list. While it may help only a small percentage of customers at the moment it will help many more in the future and make the community even more user friendly. Small successful improvements add up to a largesse of overall success by the end of the year 2020.

Without Dave's letter leading to my post that eventually disappeared and @AE_Collector  posting in it about his post disappearing I would have never found mine had disappeared for @Tiana_V  to find once I posted and appealed for a possible cure. Bravo! Tiana you seem to have your finger on the pulse of the community and you're fitting in to your not quite so new role very well. And a shout out to @Alan_K  for his hard work and new role that led us to Tiana. Thanks public mobile for moving forward positively so early in 2020.                 

Fingers crossed when I hit post this one doesn't disappear !         darlicious

22 REPLIES 22

@HALIMACS 

In Tiana's message to me she did say that they were to have a moderator monitor the spam filter whether that ever happened....? But I do know there are no moderators reviewing your unmoderated items....hence the name I imagine!

There are moderators minding the smut filter but its triggered by more discriminatory/hate/racial verbage more than anything else as I have discovered with my tendency to hit the "g" instead of the "t". I've learned some new words that I really didn't need to learn!

And indeed editing them does absolutely nothing! Screenshots has been my go to in that situation. More than anything it was using paragraphs and appropriate spacing that helped me the most.

Morning @darlicious 

Been awhile since this thread has re-surfaced.

Do you think the mod's "assigned" to that unmoderated area,

My Unmoderated Items - Community (public mobile.ca)

are actually working it?

Is it your experience that if individual users edit their posts and try to 'repost' it will indeed repost?   In my case, most of the items contain none of the no-no's which tend to send the initial posts there in the first place - so very mysterious.

When I try to repost, it says "awaiting moderator approval", however when clicking area which shows "my items awaiting approval", there's nothing there...

@jivetalker 

You're welcome! BTW....you can tag a username by tapping the "@" key for a bix to pop up containing the usernames of community members or start typing their name after "@" and it will pop up....

jivetalker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The link worked for me!! Thx darlicious

@AE_Collector 

Now the apology to me from @Naepalm sort of makes sense but I'll just use my imagination instead......

@Naepalm wrote:

edited to protect @Naepalm from certain humiliation...lol

Good Job! (I didn’t see the unedited version so you’re good to go).

AE_Collector

edited to protect @Naepalm from certain humiliation...lol

Yes lots of those apparently.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Yes that was well laid out! 

I am hoping the glitch doesn't pack up and move over to the cell network side. Maybe disappearing text messages! We already had someone suggesting that yesterday... I think?

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  Maybe his cousin is responsible for those disappearing referrals I've heard people complain about.

Yes that was well laid out! 

I am hoping the glitch doesn't pack up and move over to the cell network side. Maybe disappearing text messages! We already had someone suggesting that yesterday... I think?

AE_Collector

@Ed404  I knew you would appreciate getting this fixed. They are working towards a cure. Here i was hoping someone...anyone would appreciate my nicely spaced paragraphs....

I guess you can't get everything on your wish list.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

Dear Community,

Many of you here have heard me grumble about my self named *poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug.  It had become so common for me I could easily excuse my minimalist approach to paragraphs, avoidance of editing, "walls of text"  and occasional spelling error on the fear of losing a post (especially it seemed the long, well thought ones) to this bug. I didn't even notice the first couple that disappeared a mere two weeks on the community. The first one i did notice was posted in the August Community Rewards thread . I was thrilled to achieve the top 25% and a $2 reward after just 10 days and wanted to express my appreciation for all the help I had recieved. I wrote, I posted, I admired my post and sometime later it just disappeared!

After that on a regular basis (at least once a week) *poof* another one would disappear! Some as soon as I hit post, some after editing, others I wouldn't notice at all thinking they were still there in a thread. Slowly other members were joining me inflicted with this rare bug of editorialism?  So I am sure @Jb456  @88cranston  @iPhoneUser  @Ed404  @PAULRANG18  @DonForgo  new guy @AE_Collector  and contributers @Dunkgirl  and @oglat  will be interested in how this plays out.

After @88cranston  posted his own topic riddled with his posts disappearing  @oglat  remembered she had been given a link to her unmoderated items and dug it out of her old posts for the pair of us suffering from this disheartening bug. Suddenly we had access to all the posts that went *poof* waiting to be cleared by a non existent  moderator. Asking to be edited but alas they cannot and forever be banished from the community. Every attempt to post them sent them right back to their self imposed quarantine.  Finally a flash bulb went off...screenshot! I tested and it worked. I posted a few important ones (at least to me) and left the other 30 or so alone in their cage.

As each new victim of this particularily picky *poof*the magic dragon disappearing post bug  sought a cure i would pass on my home remedy until @Ed404  caught the bug to his great dismay. His thread produced a possible cure from @Dunkgirl . She had evidence that  @Mary_M (retired) had a way of removing an editing filter that allowed your posts to be free...like a long haired hippie at Woodstock. Both @Ed404  and I inquired with the moderators but apparently the fix had been fixed. The fix was in! After @PAULRANG18  @DonForgo  came down with the bug @AE_Collector complained in Dave's letter he too was afflicted I passed on the link I checked the quarantine to discover my response to @Dave_M  had indeed went *poof*. I screenshotted and posted and pleaded for a cure in 2020.

To my great surprise @Tiana_V  reached out to ask for my help in public mobiles investigation  into a cure for the *poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug.  She responded with some new insight on our affliction.  As some had suspected it is not a bug at all but the spam filter causing the posts to go to the spam quarantine. She was able to give me the main reasons for our posts being labeled as spam and what to avoid when writing our posts:

1. Avoid wording resembling profanity, advertising or services.
  2. Incorrect URLS or the wrong format Such as starting with http:/.
  3. Text similar to an HTML or elements of it...etc...
  4. Any wording that could be misinterpreted as an advertisement.
  5. Spelling mistakes or issues related to spelling.
  6. Create more paragraphs and /or avoid long sequences of text. 

Going forward the spam quarantine or as we know it your unmoderated items will have not one but two moderators dedicated to the spam quarantine releasing each post back into the community. Helping the spam filter learn what is acceptable within the community . Eventually less and less posts will be earmarked as spam and *poof* disappear as the spam filter learns the parameters of its role rather than filter with impunity.

Thank you @Dave_M  for your letter about moving forward in 2020 and the new slogan "We're for you!" This is definitely for me....and the top of my wish list. While it may help only a small percentage of customers at the moment it will help many more in the future and make the community even more user friendly. Small successful improvements add up to a largesse of overall success by the end of the year 2020.

Without Dave's letter leading to my post that eventually disappeared and @AE_Collector  posting in it about his post disappearing I would have never found mine had disappeared for @Tiana_V  to find once I posted and appealed for a possible cure. Bravo! Tiana you seem to have your finger on the pulse of the community and you're fitting in to your not quite so new role very well. And a shout out to @Alan_K  for his hard work and new role that led us to Tiana. Thanks public mobile for moving forward positively so early in 2020.                 

Fingers crossed when I hit post this one doesn't disappear !         darlicious

THIS IS GREAT!

@AE_Collector  I get that one all the time too...it hardly even registers anymore. When I get it in private messages and won't let me post or save the post now that gets me......writing letters in longhand!

@darlicious If that post had disappeared you might have thrown in the towel yourself!

If part of the cure is shorter posts, less spelling errors and less editing, you and I don't stand a chance 😞

I am assuming that anyone could have this happen to them, some are more likely to write longer posts and edit more leading to it happening to them. And many have likely had posts disappear without noticing it.

I wonder if the fix in some cases has been turning off the filter permanently for some? 

I wonder if there is any relation to the error I get when editing a quote? If I quote someone else in my reply, in most cases I take the time to edit the quote part down to just the pertinent part. When I finally hit "Post" a big red error message will be generated for me every time. Here is the wording:

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

Simply hitting Post again does the trick and it posts.

AE_Collector

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected    @GR  Let me try try try again......nope just not working for me today. It can always be found in RE:PLAN EXPIRED!!!!! Page 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous  I asked and was told that option had been fixed.  It was also information I had supplied to @Tiana_V . If that was was available for use now why do you think they wouldn't use it? And tell two of us requesting it that it no longer exists?

Have the moderators been wrong before? I simply think they couldn't be bothered to go back into Mary_M's knowledge and experience to find the fix. Or they purged everything to do with her.

A benefit of doubt I'll give them is that maybe the forum software has changed what with the name change from Lithium to Khoros.

@Anonymous  I asked and was told that option had been fixed.  It was also information I had supplied to @Tiana_V . If that was was available for use now why do you think they wouldn't use it? And tell two of us requesting it that it no longer exists?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to suffer from it earlier on in my "career" here. I asked the moderator team and something changed. I haven't had it since. Dunkgirl remembered that Mary_M knew the fix. The current crop of moderators ought to be using past knowledge and experience. Why moderate when you can just flip a switch to let posters post without fear of losing it.

It was first thought to be rapid edits perhaps in the same vein as thinking that that might be spamming. Whatever. Flip the switch and be done. No constant monitoring of a moderator queue. As it is...posts will still go poof. And then you're out of the conversation until released. What's one of the company motto's...let's keep the conversation going.

@GR : I wondered where you'd got to...other than a life 🙂

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected       @GR  Welcome to club quarantine! Do you need the link?  Here it is exactly how Tiana told me not to do...as usual I'm still missing something in my technique.

@Anonymous   If you suffer from this....now the spam filter. It's less about moderators monitoring and approving posts and more about teaching the spam filter how to properly detect spam. Like the recent spam incident or some of the posts I've seen containing thinly disguised profanity,  or just mis-spelled profanity, misogyny or just plain insults. The spam filter hasn't learned it's role and it needs to....dam it!

GR
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious  I had that last week for a whole day so I sent in a ticket and shortly after I could post again. The next day a moderator replied but I told her it had fixed itself. Then yesterday afternoon again into the evening so I gave up on posting and when I tried a post this morning it worked so hopefully they'll figure it out and fix it because it is annoying to write up a whole paragraph and then check if anyone replied a few minutes later and it's gone.  After a while you just give up posting!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

So the company that doesn't like us to use work arounds like lost/stolen, are working around the problem by "moderating" flagged posts. Um... @Tiana_V ... why not dig into Mary_M's old archived history and find the fix that she did. Set and forget and all that.

darlicious: another approach to your ramblings is to use a text editor to compose and then copy paste from there.

But really...they should be able to toggle the account to allow posts to be unfiltered or whatever they call it so they don't have to hassle with the "moderated" queue.

Need Help? Let's chat.