Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pictures take so long

sierrat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

why does sending and recieving text pictures take so long

10 REPLIES 10

An uncompressed image (at common 32-bit colour depth) is just over 3.8MB per megapixel (MP).

Low-end phones usually have cameras rated at 8MP to 16MP. Top-end phones can have cameras rated at 48MP or 64MP or more. Cameras are a big feature so they keep improving their capacities.

An uncompressed 16MP image is about 61MB. Public Mobile (Telus) "3G" sends data at 3Mbps which is basically 366KB/s or 0.36MB/s. That's basically 5.3 seconds. An uncompressed 48MP image would take 16 seconds. And MMS protocols usually impose a timeout after 10-12 seconds ... an oversized MMS attachment will be slow, even glacial, as it gets broken down into manageable chunks, and it will waste time between each step before it even reports failure.

Set lower resolution on camera photos. And use any image compression the camera software supports. Or install a photo/video compression app which can transcale and transcode and (de)compress these things for you.

You might need maximum resolutions and lossless image quality to capture important details on important things. But you only need passable half-decent quick and convenient image settings for ordinary things.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@sierrat, actually it's the resolution of your images that is taking forever. 

In my example below, both images are the same size, different resolutions. I didn't want to send radically large pictures, so, I used a photo that I love with negative space design! 

For example,
The first image is a low-quality image at about 47kb. It will send quickly and fast:
the-bronx-zoo-logo-low.jpg

The second one is a high-quality resolution, roughly about 217kb.

the-bronx-zoo-logo-high.jpg

In your phone settings,

1. Click on your camera icon. It will open.
  2. Inside the app, there should be a gear looking icon, click on that.
  3. Scroll down until you see camera resolution (depends on how old or new your phone is). On my camera, I can set the resolution from 6M (3264x1836) to 16M (4656x3492)
  4. On my camera, I can change the image quality from High standard or standard. On my sister's phone, she has it set to low quality. And when she prints the photos out, it's very grainy. I told her, if she wants non-grainy photos, she needs to change the image quality and resolution to high.

This is just the basics of the camera. You could go even deeper, but try these methods out, and you should be able to send the photos much quickly, and using less data too if you are texting these photos to them. 

Or, you can use share the photos too using some type of app, such as Google Photos, WhatsApp (send photos and text) to whatever anyone else here can think off! 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@sierrat is it possible that you restricted data (globally or for message app)?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@sierrat check to see if its the size of the picture. Enable data and try sending a single selfie. If you have WiFi and whatsapp, you can send it over that. It sends large pictures faster.

Another option if you find that all the pictures no matter the size are sending slowly, try resetting your network, enable data, restart your phone and re-enter your wifi password if applicable, and try sending an mms message. 

Stay safe. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sierrat , how long is long?  MMS size is tiny and should send fairly quickly even with the crippled 3G data speed.  Perhaps there is something with your phone app that is delaying the sending of the message.  

People often send me pics from their phone to "touch up" or print. I then have to ask them to send me the original picture from the camera. Unfortunately it is usually always small sized for the internet. Which make it almost impossible to work on properly or print at a decent size. Memory is cheap. Set the cameral to full size when you take a pic. If you upload to facebook etc, it will automatically be resized.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@sierrat It just depends on the size of the picture and the speed on the internet. For me, photos are sent in a few seconds.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hope not is the picture?

Mine are pretty much instant

If you snap the photo right from within your messages (as opposed to your can software) the size is right

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@sierrat wrote:

why does sending and recieving text pictures take so long

A lot of that is dependent on the size of the picture.  If you are on one of the current in-market plans your speed is also throttled to 3mb/s

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.