Did you mean: 

phone does not always ring

Jorono
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

calls sporadically don't ring on my phone, they just go directly to voicemail

27 REPLIES 27

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I brought it in for apple to look at it on Wednesday last week. It’s past warranty but they’ll do that for free. They said it was a network error (public’s fault) and there’s no hardware issues and they did a forced restart as I had already done a cellular reset and a factory reset to no avail. Public says that since the phone is getting the voicemail it’s not their issue it’s apples issue. Otherwise I wouldn’t have any record of the call at all...I’m back to apple tomorrow for them to look at it again since I’ve switched public SIM cards and the issue persisted on my phone only during the weekend. I do find it uncanny that multiple people on multiple devices have this issue in public’s community...

Oops.jpeg

@LoreckAvery wrote:

I have done that. One of the first things I tried 

Can you return the phone for a refund or send it back in to Apple under warranty to investigate? 

LoreckAvery

I have done that. One of the first things I tried 

@LoreckAvery 

Have you considered trying a factory reset at this point? 

LoreckAvery

Extremely!! Mine did it 4 separate times on Friday, 3 times yesterday and I didn’t trial it too much today. I have seemed to notice that it happens about the same time of day 145-200pm the most and then again 330-4? 

ovranch

My Iphone 8+  just did it again today, i was expecting a call back and warned the caller it may go directly to VM as it did.. They left a vm. I was notified of the VM.. It's very frustrating. 

LoreckAvery

So I have switched sims with my kids phone and it’s definitely not the sim. We are both with public, yet two hours after changing, both phones sitting side by side, my iPhone 8+ goes straight to vm and the iPhone 6 rings. Repeated for about 4 calls before it finally went thru. 

I’ve been trialing all weekend and it happened again today at the same time 148pm.  I’m going back to apple because at this point why is my phone the only one randomly not accepting calls from public?

Jorono

No Problem has not been fixed.  Exactly the same problem as you.  What is your phone?

ovranch

I'm using an Iphone 8+, live in a small town west of Ottawa.. Telus/Bell/Rogers towers in my area.

I have pulled the sim, updated network settings, phone has updated  IOS.. It still will not ring sometimes, goes to VM.

If they don't leave a message no trace of call in recent history.

LoreckAvery

I’m leaning that way too, which is extremely frustrating. I’m going to trial it for the weekend and see how switching the sims continues to play out. For all I know this other sim may not be working consistently as it’s my kids phone and they only text!!

shashankkatte
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just to add i had an instance where after dropping my phone i had started getting network issues. So i do feel its a device issue if PM sim is working on another device.

shashankkatte
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I know how frustrating this can be. There are a few things that I'd check if I were in your situation.

1. Try using another phone to call your number and see if anything shows up on the screen
  2. If you do see a call but don't hear it check the ring tone settings
  3. If you see nothing and it goes to voice mail directly check if you have mobile signal strength?
  4. Try removing the sim and restarting after reinserting
  5. make sure that you don't have any "do not disturb" or "silent" or "airplane mode" on your phone.
  6. Try using the Public mobile sim card on another phone and see if you receive calls on that device.

This can be very frustrating but in my own experience, it's been more of a device issue like it going into airplane mode etc than the phone network itself. Give it and try and let us know... the community is here to help you solve it.

LoreckAvery

I wanted to add that I’m currently in touch with public technical support and with apple. They’ve both been patient and really good to deal with, however we still have no answers. My iPhone has been inspected and they told me it’s a network error. Telus says it’s a phone issue. Apple says I have no hardware or software issues, Telus says I must. I have removed my sim and tried it in an old iPhone 6 and the issue hasn’t happened on that phone, yet, but it has happened on the 8plus with the other sim so I’m guessing it is my phone??? Idk. I’m going back to apple with this new information for them to troubleshoot the phone again, but am advised that maybe my phone is broke?!? Nothing else is wrong and I honestly do not trust that a new phone will fix this issue. We’ve done EVERYTHING to fix it. 

LoreckAvery

Omg I’m going thru this right now!! I have an iPhone 8plus. I’ve been in contact with apple and with public. Still have no answers and still troubleshooting. What phone do you have?? And where are you located? 

for me there’s no rhyme or reason and it’s completely sporadic 

@ovranch @Jorono 

Check and see if you have the latest Iphone update. Always try rebooting your phone and/or toggling airplane mode on/off. If its a sim provisioning issue its best to contact the moderators to perform this action. If its an ongoing issue askbthe moderator to open a ticket for the tech team to look into your account. Make sure they give you the tkt ref # so any moderator can access it for future inquiries. Sometimes they have to dig deep to find the issue so be patient.

If waiting for a moderator will take too much time you can reprovision your sim as suggested by @gpixel  however be warned an old glitch seems to have returned when using lost/stolen that prevents rewards from being applied automatically upon renewal requiring moderator contact to have them applied manually. Use at your own risk.

ovranch

Thankyou for your suggestions, I too live in a small town that uses Bell/Telus/Rogers. I'm using an Iphone 8+. 

I have pulled the sim, re inserted, as well reset the network settings.. see how that goes.

cheers 

Jorono

This was suggested to me before.  I tried it a couple of times with no luck.  I will try it again.  In these times we do not stray much more than 5 miles away in our small town.  We have good reception from Telus here.  They have even put in more towers.

thank you.

@Jorono 

on 4G LTE devices, the PRL(preferred roaming list) is updated with your SIM card. To ensure you have the latest PRL, you can power your phone off and remove/reinsert the SIM card

then reset your network settings

1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restart your phone

Jorono

It has never really been solved.  I can think it is working fine, then a week or so later, it starts happening again.  It happened again today.  I live in a very well Telus covered area.  It is the biggest provider here.  Bell moved in and then Rogers, but they are the only other ones.  I have tried everything.  Even the moderator did something for me to restart.  Seemed like it worked then happened again.  It is so intermittent that I cannot tell if it is fixed when someone advises me to do something, and I do it.  I have done everything possible that anyone has recommended.  Still happens.  I have an iPhone 6s.

@ovranch wrote:

Did you get your issue figured out? My phone does the same, been doing it for over a yr now.. Sometimes the phone will not ring, and a vm is left. Or if they don't leave a message no trace of any call in history?

@ovranch 

It might be several reasons for this issue.  

Where do you live?  

Some areas in Canada have poorer reception with TElus/Bell than others.  You could check the Telus coverage map.

Which model phone?  

Some older phones or international phones may not have all the necessary bands for good reception.  

You could try the SIM card in another phone to help determine whether it is a hardware issue versus PM service problem.

ovranch

Did you get your issue figured out? My phone does the same, been doing it for over a yr now.. Sometimes the phone will not ring, and a vm is left. Or if they don't leave a message no trace of any call in history?

@Jorono you can try resetting the sim network by logging into your self serve under "plans and add-ons"  and toggle the lost/stolen feature

lost_stolen.jpeg

@Jorono wrote:

Happens from anyone that phones me.  And in different locations.

It's possible that signal isn't the best in the areas that you use it.  Since you have tried your sim card in another phone, there is a possibility that there is a provisioning problem on your account. Part of the issue with your situation is with how it is an intermitent issue. To have Public Mobile check if there's an issue with your specifiic account, you'll need to open a ticket by going to:  https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat

Jorono

And have tried SIM card in other phone.  Same issue.

Jorono

Happens from anyone that phones me.  And in different locations.

@Jorono wrote:

calls sporadically don't ring on my phone, they just go directly to voicemail

Are they from different people when this happens? If so, this is likely a network issue in your area. The obvious troubleshooting steps would be to try your phone in another location to see if this still hapens, or to try your sim card in another device.

Need Help? Let's chat.