cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this phone calls from a scammer?

nadezhdatoronto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Around two months I get phone calls from numbers 1-905- ....( around ten different numbers) every day. If I answer, they are keep silence. They never leave a voice message. What we have to do? to block them?

13 REPLIES 13

nadezhdatoronto

thanks!

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Do not call list: https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

This does not prevent calls though.. but it probably helps a little.

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

they often use fake phone numbers. I used to block each scam or spam call but then stopped bc I realized it doesn't prevent the calls, and I may be blocking a legit number that may need to call me later (although probably rare)! The best thing is to just not answer those calls. I never pick up for unknown numbers if I am not expecting a call. Almost always a spam or scam call. If you pick up, they know it is a real number and keep your number in the system, only to call you back later. The less you answer them, the fewer calls you will get in future as you number gets removed from the bot list.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@nadezhdatoronto wrote:

Around two months I get phone calls from numbers 1-905- ....( around ten different numbers) every day. If I answer, they are keep silence. They never leave a voice message. What we have to do? to block them?

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different number than the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device. 

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

😀Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. 😀

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

LurganIeUk_0-1592587182777.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices. 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/15/how-to-identify-block-spamc-calls-ios-android/

Copyright 2020

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

If you ever have a problem with blocked callers resulting in junk voicemail, you can prevent blocked callers from reaching your voicemail by setting the conditional call forward for blocked/declined calls to go to a dead-end. The caller would hear either a fast-busy or endless ring when on the block list, or when you manually decline an incoming call. Makes your number appear even "more dead" in the spammers database... Unanswered calls and calls while your phone is off or out of the coverage area will continue to route to voicemail as usual.

To set, dial: *67#8080000000#

To unset, dial: ##67#

nadezhdatoronto

thank you!

@nadezhdatoronto wrote:

thanks!

...how to do it?

@nadezhdatoronto   Did you find out how to block the unwanted callers? 

Most phones will allow you block them once you select the caller from your phone's call log, then click the 3 vertical dots top right to get a drop down menu, from there you should get an option to add that number to the "auto reject list", or something similar depending upon your phone.  Of course, you will have to keep adding to that auto reject list as most spammers/scammers use different numbers to keep calling you from.

nadezhdatoronto

thanks!...exactly, we have to be more careful ! have a nice day!

nadezhdatoronto

thanks!

...how to do it?

@nadezhdatoronto...

...and NEVER answer a call if you don't recognize the calling number. Once the bad-guys know that your number is "active"...well...you know what will keep happening. If it's a legit call, they'll leave a message.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@nadezhdatoronto You can also add yourself into Do-not-call list.

nadezhdatoronto

Thanks!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@nadezhdatoronto wrote:

@nadezhdatoronto  Yes, those are spam calls. Just go into your Dialer app settings and block those calls. When you receive them don't answer just block them directly.

Need Help? Let's chat.