cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet has been abysmal in hope the last few days

nutpantz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

both with tethering and on device, speeds jump from 5kb/s to 715 kb/s (mostly slow) or just plain 0 kb/sec for 15 to 20 seconds at a time. seems to work fine in chilliwack.

all my apn setting have been checked and are fine.

been going on for 3 or 4 days now. getting very annoying.

(yes i can watch and log my internet speed in real time.so no the average does not matter)

28 REPLIES 28

@computergeek541 @gpixel 

Sorry.....after @Korth  commented on his home internet speed he then posted the following which I followed up with a question about his home internet and then it all headed south from vancouver into the valley and turned from mobile data to home internet data.....

@darlicious 

Yeah, sorry no useful info about my Public Mobile 3G data. It's usually a flat 3Mbps with low latency across most of the city. It usually doesn't work at all in the fringes, the "3G" icon suddenly vanishes and the data session suddenly terminates when you cross some invisible range or signal threshold, same thing happens on every smartphone I've tried.

But I rarely use much data across Public Mobile, I haven't used any at all recently.

I also subscribe to Xplornet $20/month for 60GB of 5Mbps data (across band 42). It works across some of Langley and Aldergrove, most of Abbotsford and Chilliwack and Hope, many places beyond Hope. I have used it recently and it works just fine. Tough call, but it might actually be faster than my home internet has been lately, lol.

@gpixel wrote:

I still don't understand how home internet has anything to do with cellphone towers? or am I confused right now

*I was confused

I believe that some are trying to see if there is a a correlation between mobile internet speeds at the Telus home internet services.

@gpixel 

Tangent

I still don't understand how home internet has anything to do with cellphone towers? or am I confused right now

*I was confused

A few of my neighbours have experienced the same issues.

And, again, the packet delay/loss is all happening upstream, three jumps beyond the T3200M router. It's not a malfunction or misconfiguration on my hardware.

And lol, I've completely disabled all the native wifi in router settings (at 192.168.1.254), no wireless activity, no SSID, etc. One of the LAN ports is connected to Pi-Hole to Pi-NAS to wireless hub - wireless guests are confined to a masked proxy with limited privileges, they have no way to access my router through wifi.

I only use wired connections when at home - more speed, more reliable, more secure.

Wireless is yucky.

@Korth 

I'm on pure fibre 75.....

Screenshot_20210307-150751.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth : I'm on Telus Optik "PureFibre" 150 and from one dslreports speedtest choosing gigabit/fiber, I got about 141 down and about 90 up. Got an F grade for bufferbloat and a C overall.

I just did the cable choice and got 67/67 D bufferbloat and B overall.

DSL 144/90 D, B

Hotel?? 139/85 F, C

@Korth 

That is abysmal. You should do daily tests then ask for a credit on your telus internet account to reflect your loss of service. Do you have both the 2.4 and 5.0 choices? You could also go into your account at isp.173.68.something...whatever the rest of that is and adjust the channels you are on to see if you can get better performance on lesser used channels. Sorry if I don't know the appropriate geekspeak to make better sense of what I'm trying to say....but you should understand what I mean.

@darlicious 

According to my bill, it's the Telus Optik 150 plan.

According to speedtest, it's usually 175Mbps upload, 175Mbps download, 3ms ping, no jitter. Almost always exactly the same results across different test runs, very little variance.

I happen to live less than two blocks away from a fairly large Telus gateway/exchange building, so my "last mile" service is barely 100m away from the source. Not the reason I moved here but part of the reason I haven't moved away, lol.

But the last 3-4 days it's been more like 10Mbps or so. With frequent slowdowns to 1000ms or more. Sometimes speeds fall to kbps for a minute or so. Generally sluggish and unresponsive with intermittent moments of glacial paralysis. My tracert runs suggested that the big delays and lost packets were happening somewhere upstream of the Telus hardware installed at my building. Something is broken or something was changed.

@nutpantz 

There's another option for you......

@Korth 

How bad is your home internet?

@darlicious 

Yeah, sorry no useful info about my Public Mobile 3G data. It's usually a flat 3Mbps with low latency across most of the city. It usually doesn't work at all in the fringes, the "3G" icon suddenly vanishes and the data session suddenly terminates when you cross some invisible range or signal threshold, same thing happens on every smartphone I've tried.

But I rarely use much data across Public Mobile, I haven't used any at all recently.

I also subscribe to Xplornet $20/month for 60GB of 5Mbps data (across band 42). It works across some of Langley and Aldergrove, most of Abbotsford and Chilliwack and Hope, many places beyond Hope. I have used it recently and it works just fine. Tough call, but it might actually be faster than my home internet has been lately, lol.

@nutpantz 

There you go some more evidence to support your cause....do you have any friends with koodo or telus experiencing issues with full speed 4G LTE?

@Korth 

Thanks for that.

My home internet in Chilliwack (Telus Optik 175Mbps) has been pathetically slow over the last few days. A lot of long pings and lost pongs and little jitters, browser often hangs for a second or two when webpages are requested/refreshed, Youtube vids constantly pause and stutter, can't join my buddies in Diablo 2 because of ridiculous (and dangerous or fatal in hardcore) lag spikes.

(I also have an open wifi network which has about a dozen regular users, some of them have recently left notes in the sharespace which complain about awful internet performance.)

A couple speedtests produced dismal results. A couple other speedtest attempts timed out and failed. I couldn't find any online reports of scheduled or unscheduled Telus service outages in the Fraser Valley. I haven't seen any signs of tampering with the Telus hardware box (outside my building) which is directly upstream from my gateway.

@nutpantz wrote:

considering they are advertising 5g with network speeds of 10 megabytes a second,  

No "network congestion" is a unacceptable excuse,when with lte, vegas could supply 4 megabyes a second to hundreds of thousands at 30$ a month. and telus cannot supply a stable 350 kb/s to what 10 thousand for the upper valley?

they use the same towers with different antennas, so the bandwith is supplied to the tower.

( yes there are hacks to get around stuff. this is a service issue and likely affects everyone in the area, )

@nutpantz  It's hopeless. Don't waste energy like Don Quixote just find a carrier with better  value for you.

william windmills.jpeg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@nutpantz 

Let @Korth weigh in on your issue he lives out in the valley maybe you two can compare notes ( or speed tests.)

@nutpantz you can probably fix this yourself

what's the make and model of your phone?

the PRL(preferred roaming list) is updated with your SIM card. To ensure you have the latest PRL, you can power your phone off and remove/reinsert the SIM card once a month or so.

then reset your network settings

there is always koodo prepaid. and their plans are very similar to public mobile now with full speed LTE $55/8.5gb province wide calling

in what world do you live in where cheaper is better? how does that even make sense?

nutpantz

@HALIMACS 

i will kick it up to the mods if it does not improve by tomorrow.

service issues need to be fixed, maybe not right now, im not that impatient.

but soon.

@nutpantz

Please reach out to the moderators as I earlier suggested.

You're justifiable in your concerns if there are inconsistencies that have recently developed. 

@nutpantz yeah it is what it is. there are a lot of work arounds at pm. it kind of comes with the territory of a cheap provider. at least you have the knowledge to pass it on to others in the valley 👍 

nutpantz

i have full bars so that is not the issue.

yes i can switch to 3g, but how many others in the upper valley are getting bad service because  they don't know to do that?

if there is a service issue it should be fixed. and it will not unless people complain.

or it will not be a priority unless many complain or a few loudly.

@nutpantz that's what I thought too, but it's not the case. when we have a weak connection our throttle limit gets worse. just change your connection to 3g. your download speeds will be much better and consistent

nutpantz

>youre on a third tier provider, what makes you think you have privileges over Telus,Koodo,bell,virgin customers? during heavy traffic times I will actually get kicked off of a tower and experience slow internet just like you're issue. the work around is to enable/disable airplane mod

im not complaining about the speed im complaining that the speed is not stable.

congestion should not slow down a throttled speed of 3Mbps when they advertise 50+ Mbps for their full service.

third tier or not, if they cant supply the service they should not try to sell it.

just rolling over and pretending it ok is the wrong attitude

@nutpantz check this website to see the closest towers in your area

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

10mb would be a nice throttle limit. with the recent price changes I think that's justifiable

No "network congestion" is a unacceptable excuse,when with lte, vegas could supply 4 megabyes a second to hundreds of thousands at 30$ a month. and telus cannot supply a stable 350 kb/s to what 10 thousand for the upper valley?

youre on a third tier provider, what makes you think you have privileges over Telus,Koodo,bell,virgin customers? during heavy traffic times I will actually get kicked off of a tower and experience slow internet just like you're issue. the work around is to enable/disable airplane mode 

@nutpantz 

Where did you see that advertised?

Public Mobile is 3G, or better put, LTE 'throttled' to 3G.

See terms and conditions on bottom of page, point #1 states:

Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see here.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@nutpantz 

If this continues and does not resolve with suggested actions (and you notice it occurring any time of day/night), you may wish to contact Moderators to see if they may be able to 'reset' anything with respect to your account.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

nutpantz

considering they are advertising 5g with network speeds of 10 megabytes a second,  

they use the same towers with different antennas, so the bandwith is supplied to the tower.

( yes there are hacks to get around stuff. this is a service issue and likely affects everyone in the area, )

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@nutpantz I agree their LTE throttle has been pretty bad lately..

switch your preferred network type to 3g/wcdma. pm doesn't throttle HSPA+. you may even want to invest in a cell phone booster one with bands 2 and 5. there is one on Amazon for $154 with a $10 coupon so $144. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Lintratek-Booster-1900MHz-Amplifier-Repeater/dp/B07Z94G4TY/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?dch...

I did a speed test earlier and I only averaged 2.3mb down and up on LTE.

speedtest 3g.jpeg

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@nutpantz wrote:

both with tethering and on device, speeds jump from 5kb/s to 715 kb/s (mostly slow) or just plain 0 kb/sec for 15 to 20 seconds at a time. seems to work fine in chilliwack.

all my apn setting have been checked and are fine.

been going on for 3 or 4 days now. getting very annoying.

@nutpantz    Presume you mean your Data and not Wi-Fi (probably goes without saying...)

Network traffic or congestion may impact this.

You could try checking TELUS outage maps to see if they're experiencing service issues in your area.

Try resetting network connections, or selecting 3G vs LTE on device when using data.

Need Help? Let's chat.