cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international call barring

pjstock
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think I recently inadvertanly pocket dial a number in Spain. and the "call" lasted almost 9 minutes.

domestic pocket dials are annoying enough, but I would like to avoid expensive pocket dials like this one.

my phone (a Samsung S6) seems to have a feature to bar international calls in the Phones app but it is requesting a 4 digit PW which I don't have.

what's going on here? I think this is a SIM card issue and so a PM issue.

How can I bar international calling? can I ?

Peter

8 REPLIES 8

pjstock

thanks

but I did find the setting on my phone. the problem is Step 10 "enter the Password". I don't know what this PW is.

I'll try 1234 as someone suggested.

pjstock

I have screen lock and it is set to Immediately After Hitting Power Button. and I do hit the power button before pocketing the phone. But I am still butt dialing all the time. usually to the last person I texted.

@pjstock wrote:

I think I recently inadvertanly pocket dial a number in Spain. and the "call" lasted almost 9 minutes.

domestic pocket dials are annoying enough, but I would like to avoid expensive pocket dials like this one.

my phone (a Samsung S6) seems to have a feature to bar international calls in the Phones app but it is requesting a 4 digit PW which I don't have.

what's going on here? I think this is a SIM card issue and so a PM issue.

How can I bar international calling? can I ?

Peter

The only thing that could happen would be that existing minutes on your account get used up.  Such calls to Spain would not use any acccount balance funds even if you accidently call someone and it stays connected for hours.

So, in this case, you long distance minutes could be drained by accident. It cannot go any further than that.  Without the international long distance, calls to Spain would just automatically disconnect if dialed.

I am a little surprised that you were able to do an accidental 9 minute call.  I would guess this call might have been to some automated number.  If a person answered on the other end, the call likely would have been manually disconnectef before that amount of time.

One way to absolutely prevent intenational calls would be not to have a long distance add-on in your account.  Otherwise, your options are largely limited to preventing accidental dialing. Perhaps remove the country code from the phone numbers saved in your contact list?  You would the need to manually edit the on-screen phone numer before proceeding, and that could get confusing if you call people in multiple countries.

funpig
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Here is a step by step procedure to enable call barring on a Samsung S5:

https://support.bell.ca/mobility/smartphones_and_mobile_internet/samsung-galaxy-s5.how_to_enable_or_...

Your phone may or may not have this feature.

The best way is to but a screen lock on.  Can't get to the dialer except for emergency calls this way.

@hairbag1 wrote:

Don't worry about getting billed...you won't be. This is a pre-paid service. I

I believe op is taking about his pocket wasting some of 400 long distance minutes and would like to prevent it in future

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I believe that all the sim pins with public mobile are 1234

But it's more likely that it is your phone screen pin, I get that when I try to make changes I believe it prevents your kids or somebody else making changes that would block you the owner from using some features

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Don't worry about getting billed...you won't be. This is a pre-paid service. I

PS...check out gogle for advise on call barring.

Need Help? Let's chat.