cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incoming spam caller

jojo9
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not a question, but a heads up / fyi? Okay now it's a question...

Just received my first spam-bot call saying it's from "Services Canada" (or something like that) requesting a S.I.N. (no I didn't give).  Google searched, it's from a Telus#, and other results indicating India. This is just 7 weeks into a new PM activation number. 

8 REPLIES 8

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@jojo9 wrote:

Not a question, but a heads up / fyi? Okay now it's a question...

Just received my first spam-bot call saying it's from "Services Canada" (or something like that) requesting a S.I.N. (no I didn't give).  Google searched, it's from a Telus#, and other results indicating India. This is just 7 weeks into a new PM activation number. 

@jojo9 ,

Remember the days when you could prank call people and no one could tell where you were calling from or who you were, and caller ID didn't exist? Ah, those were the days. Sorry - flash back there. 

CRA/Service Canada spam calls happen as well as others. Not much to stop them.

Seems like you know not to acknowledge and/or not provide info. so a point for you! 

You may even receive spam/robot/spoofing calls that appear to be from a local number in your calling area. 

My number was spoofed.

Someone call ME and said a spam caller called them from my number. The person who called me knew it was a scam, but they wanted to let me know about it, as a good will gesture I guess. 

What Is Spoofing?

Spoofing is when a caller deliberately falsifies the information transmitted to your caller ID display to disguise their identity. Scammers often use neighbor spoofing so it appears that an incoming call is coming from a local number, or spoof a number from a company or a government agency that you may already know and trust. 

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think we all get this!  Their system automatically dials a whole block/range of telephone numbers so no matter what phone number you have, it will probably get dialed.

It's easy enough to fake what number appears on your Caller ID, and with VoIP (internet phones), it makes it even easier.

Depending on what phone you use, you might have a "Block Number" feature that will automatically reject the call.  However, it may still go to voicemail and they often change what number appears on your Caller ID which brings you back to the beginning...

I say just ignore it and worry about bigger problems.  🙂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@jojo9 

Here's advice on spam callers - follow it and you'll save yourself from being overly targeted:

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  If the person calling you needs you bad enough, they will leave a voice message, if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

@jojo9 wrote:

If I have the spammers #, is it recommended to pass the # to an official at Telus?

I would say that there isn't much reason to do that.  In all likelihood, the number that you saw on your phone's screen isn't where the person really called from. 

jojo9

If I have the spammers #, is it recommended to pass the # to an official at Telus?

jojo9

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@jojo9 Service Canada will never call you. lol As I have a landline, I don't give my mobile number to just anyone and I don't answer unknown callers.  If they leave me a message, I just block the number... of course they are likely to call again using a different number.  lol  Just report them as spam and block block block

Welcome to Public Mobile

RosieR

@jojo9 

When someone calls you, don't give any informaiton unless you personally know the person. The phone number itself coud be fine, but it's very easily to make your phone show a fake phone number that isn't wehre the person is really calling from.  If in doubt, hang up and place an outgoing call to  a well-known/published phone number to check if you were really contacted by the real organization.

Need Help? Let's chat.