cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inability to call 712 area code

Kerri
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello. I'm trying to call a conference line with the number 

712-432-xxxx but I receive the message, "Hi,! Public mobile here! Sorry! Talk is not included in your plan' hwich is not true as I have unlimited calling to the United States. thanks for any help you all can provide.
12 REPLIES 12

Kerri

Hello. While I do have Magic Jack and can utilize it, something very strange has occurred. I can access the conference line after the message about Talk not being available but only on speaker phone wit this iPhone. This sounds crazy but this is what happens.

@gblackma wrote:

@Kerri have you tried Google hangouts and Google dialer combined if on an android phone? Or a voip app such as TextNow over WiFi? Please try and let us know if it works. Thanks.

It's certainly worth a try, but those area codes and prefixes and relatively blocked out at many carriers. When a large company such as Telus does this, I would expect that most would follow, especially a free service.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Kerri Read this; https://clark.com/scams-rip-offs/12-dangerous-area-codes-you-never-want-to-dial/

particularly the part on "Traffic Pumping". It explains the issue.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Kerri have you tried Google hangouts and Google dialer combined if on an android phone? Or a voip app such as TextNow over WiFi? Please try and let us know if it works. Thanks.

@Kerri 

If this is a number you have to call regularly or any of the others on the exclusion list the best way to get around this would be to get a calling card for international calling that doesnt exclude those areacodes/exchanges.

@Kerri wrote:

is it blocked due to spam calls? I think it's reprehensible that companies randomly decide which numbers its customers can/cannot call.

@Kerri , the company isn't deciding it is an area code of a provider that they do not have a deal with or charges a very high rate to call numbers using their infrastructure.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kerri wrote:

is it blocked due to spam calls? I think it's reprehensible that companies randomly decide which numbers its customers can/cannot call.

I looked into it quite a while ago out of curiosity but I don't remember all the details. Iirc phone companies do a background swap of call-in access. Your customers can call our customers if you let our customers call yours. Some phone companies "charge" more to access their area code/prefixes. So other companies don't play ball with them. Public Mobile is not alone in blocking some numbers.

As I said, I don't remember all the details. I'll even disclaim this attempt at an explanation 🙂

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Kerri  it's in Public Mobile terms and conditions when you joined.

Talk option required. Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialed: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726, 530-881.

Kerri

Kerri

that's not the real phone number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kerri wrote:

Hello. I'm trying to call a conference line with the number 

712-432-xxxx but I receive the message, "Hi,! Public mobile here! Sorry! Talk is not included in your plan' hwich is not true as I have unlimited calling to the United States. thanks for any help you all can provide.

That's an area code/prefix that is blocked by this and many other carriers.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kerri 

This is a public forum please remove phone # by clicking 3 dots and edit

IMG-2710.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.