cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone carrier indicator is taking too much space.

mintpanda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got started with Public Mobile since August.

I use $10/month plan for 50 minutes talk and 50 outgoing text, as I am not using much text and call. I also added 1GB data add on. I like its coverage, affordable cost and data that carries over to next month if unused, which no other carriers offer.

However, I have a concern about carrier indicator, as my phone is iPhone SE. It is taking a lot of space, sometimes moving connection indicator (which spins when data connection is made on iPhone) to left side. 

image1.png

I did some research how other carriers around the world with long name deals with this. For example, TracFone Wireless in States, shortens it to "TFW".

Shouldn't Public Mobile do similar thing, and shorten it to "PMC" or "PM", or "Public", like how Lucky Mobile show carrier as "Lucky", not "Lucky Mobile".

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

Blackberry Messenger?! Still?!

I've long since moved on to just texting. It was only the spouse that used it.

@Anonymous yep, still.  Literally my only remaining contact I BBM with is my better half.  I've tried suggesting moving to WhatsApp a few times but was veto'd.  I'm kind of okay with it.  On the one hand, it's annoying still needing to run BBM.  On the other hand, I always know whenever there is a BBM notification, that it's from here vs. getting lost with the half dozen or so individuals and 3 group chats I actively maintain in WhatsApp (ironically, she is in all 3 of those group chats and does use WhatsApp with some other people too).  I've come to grips with it. 

OH, also, the best part--since upgrading to Android 9 (that shot above was in 8.1), I can now hide those persistent notifications from my status bar by using the new Minimize option.  So now they still show (but collapsed and grouped at the bottom) in my notification shade, but not in the status bar! Notice the nice clean left side of the status bar now:

Screenshot_20190114-103602.jpg

And when I pull down the notification shade:

Screenshot_20190114-103612.jpg

That's when I see the persistent notifications for BBM, Blokada, and LastPass.  MUCH neater.

Regarding texting:  meh.  I hate SMS.  It's my last resort for talking to people that refuse to use WhatsApp (or even Facebook Messenger, Skype, Slack, even one old friend I still chat with on Hangouts).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@mintpanda wrote:

Got Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro and got issue fixed. MIUI allowed me to change carrier text on lockscreen (Carrier text doesn't display on status bar on MIUI)

@mintpanda congrats!  It sounds like took my advice!

@srlawren wrote:

There's a simple fix for this:  purchase an Android phone and drop your iPhone off at your local electronics recycling depot!  Problem solved!

Feel free to mark my response as the solution to this thread Robot LOL

Blackberry Messenger?! Still?!

I've long since moved on to just texting. It was only the spouse that used it.

My old BB only shows the carrier name if I swipe down from the top as though to get the quick menu.

I just noticed on my LG Q6, it doesn't display the carrier on the main use desktop either.

I did notice the carrier drops to the bottom of the notification screen when you look at the entire list of notifications.

@mintpanda wrote:

Got Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro and got issue fixed. MIUI allowed me to change carrier text on lockscreen (Carrier text doesn't display on status bar on MIUI)

Let me know how you like is Xiaomi has some great products and are probably my next phone

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@mintpanda wrote:

@mintpanda congrats!  It sounds like took my advice!

@srlawren wrote:

There's a simple fix for this:  purchase an Android phone and drop your iPhone off at your local electronics recycling depot!  Problem solved!

Screenshot_20181014-165645.jpg

Feel free to mark my response as the solution to this thread Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mintpanda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@mintpanda wrote:

I got started with Public Mobile since August.

I use $10/month plan for 50 minutes talk and 50 outgoing text, as I am not using much text and call. I also added 1GB data add on. I like its coverage, affordable cost and data that carries over to next month if unused, which no other carriers offer.

However, I have a concern about carrier indicator, as my phone is iPhone SE. It is taking a lot of space, sometimes moving connection indicator (which spins when data connection is made on iPhone) to left side. 

image1.png

I did some research how other carriers around the world with long name deals with this. For example, TracFone Wireless in States, shortens it to "TFW".

Shouldn't Public Mobile do similar thing, and shorten it to "PMC" or "PM", or "Public", like how Lucky Mobile show carrier as "Lucky", not "Lucky Mobile".

I have never tried these but you could give it a try. 

Carrier Editor for Mac or Carrier Editor for Windows

Lets us know if it works for you.

@Luddite wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Robot LOL  

Android gurus at work:   ColossusRebuild_11.jpg

They are even running the latest update of Pie I see. I love my PH-1 but this was a good one @Luddite

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@srlawren wrote:

Robot LOL  

Android gurus at work:   ColossusRebuild_11.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

Screenshot_20181014-165645.jpg

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
It has been suggested several times in the past. Likely not changing anytime soon.

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This would be a matter of preference... it has never bothered me Smiley Happy.

Also I’d like to point out that the ‘loading’ indicator moved to the right for many devices with the iOS 12

update.

Need Help? Let's chat.