cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone cannot send SMS messages

Lwang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My iphone 6s cannot send any sms messages at all, I can still receive them and send in imessage, just not normal sms. I have friends with the exact same PM plan as me and theirs work. I've tried switching my SIM card with an iphone 11 and it did not work it it either, then I tried restarting my phone multiple times which wasn't effective, what should I do?

8 REPLIES 8

@Lwang 

You can't send SMS and MMS texts but you can recieve them? And iMessage is unaffected? I am not that familiar with iPhones but can you clear the cache of your messages app? Or do device maintenance? And you tried all of @esjliv suggestions. If you have and there is no change then this sounds like a provisioning issue with your sim card. Did this start to happen just after your renewal?

Regardless this is best dealt with by the moderators. In a pinch you could try to reprovision it yourself by suspending your service via the lost/stolen feature in your account but that will cause your rewards to not apply at renewal causing you to have to contact the moderators anyways. You might as well let them do it from the account side which is more effective.

Click on the chat bubble at the bottom right corner of your screen and type in sim needs reprovisioning and human and follow the prompts to submit your ticket. Check in the morning for a message from the moderators in your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar at th top right corner of your screen. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

@Lwang wrote:

I've tried all of those above and it didn't work

Hello @Lwang 

Can you send texts to anyone or just certain people (and are they android or iphone users, if they are specific recipients you are having issues with?)

Can you try your SIM into another compatible phone?

If sending texts work then, this would mean there is something in a setting somewhere on your iphone6.

Also, try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings on your device

Lwang

Thank you, I switched another SIM card into my phone and it works, so it seems like it's my SIM card's problem, what should I do now?

Lwang

I've tried all of those above and it didn't work

@softech wrote:

sound like you might be on iMessage?  did you turn on your data?

or did you try to turn off iMessage and use ONLY SMS?

On Apple
(Blue ones are sent using Apple's iMessage while Green are SMS)

change the iMessage settings by
Click on Settings app,
click Messages,
Turn iMessage off (switch from green to grey)

Grey is always a response on an iPhone. Sending a text is green and an iMessage is blue. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Lwang wrote:

My iphone 6s cannot send any sms messages at all, I can still receive them and send in imessage, just not normal sms. I have friends with the exact same PM plan as me and theirs work. I've tried switching my SIM card with an iphone 11 and it did not work it it either, then I tried restarting my phone multiple times which wasn't effective, what should I do?

You can iMessage still over wifi....correct?

So for all to work .... you need your Data turned on....

BUT with no Data on and no Wifi you should still be able to send and receive texts from an android. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

sound like you might be on iMessage?  did you turn on your data?

or did you try to turn off iMessage and use ONLY SMS?

On Apple
(Blue ones are sent using Apple's iMessage while Green are SMS)

change the iMessage settings by
Click on Settings app,
click Messages,
Turn iMessage off (switch from green to grey)

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lwang  did you try putting your friends sim with pm in your phone? This will help isolate hardware vs software

Has this always been the case or is it new issue?

Edit this is alwsys a good read for iOS 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M24562

Need Help? Let's chat.