cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone can’t receive messages without wifi…

wellis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have the $25 plan from PM, and I have no problems with calling or texting while on wifi or without it. But when people try to contact me through iMessage, I never receive the texts until I reconnect to wifi. Any idea what’s going on?

10 REPLIES 10

davgendron
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @wellis !

As other people told you, in order to send and receive iMessages, you need to have Wi-Fi or datas turned on. However, if you lose your Wi-Fi and datas are off, you won't receive iMessages unless the person who texts you activated "Send as SMS" (see picture below). In that case, iMessage (blue bubbles) are sent as SMS (green bubbles) automatically if you don't have any Wi-Fi or datas. So, in that case, you will receive text messages in green bubbles as long as "Send as SMS" is activated on your friend's phone. 

Well, without any Internet connection (Wi-FI or datas), iMessage won't work. I suggest you to turn iMessage OFF considering the fact you only have 1GB per month to keep receiving text message wherever you are.

If you are not using that much datas, you could simply leave your datas activated all the time, so you will receive iMessages all the time!

Have a nice day!

send-as-sms-on-iphone-3.jpg

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Camera4617 wrote:

@LurganIeUk  For sure you need wi-fi if you iMessage using an email address.

OR DATA!!! Just like I said!!!

@LurganIeUk No need to yell. You should first re-read OP and see that he/she cannot send iMessage when not on WIFI. Your first statement is that you have the same problem. Your second statement is that you need wifi for iMessage when using an email. So, if this makes any sense to you, then that's fine as it does not to me.. If you had the same problem, then you would NOT be able to receive iMessages when using data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Caps, red and 3 exclamations...twice. Mr. Grumpy-pants today.

@Camera4617 wrote:

OR DATA!!! Just like I said!!!

Camera4617

@Camera4617 wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@wellis wrote:

I have the $25 plan from PM, and I have no problems with calling or texting while on wifi or without it. But when people try to contact me through iMessage, I never receive the texts until I reconnect to wifi. Any idea what’s going on?

I have the same problem. And I just live with it. For sure you need wi-fi if you iMessage using an email address. But for my set up, which I am not prepared to change, I must turn Data ON to receive a Text/Imessage from a number or an email address when there is no Wi-Fi present. 

BUT any text to or from an android (green bubble) will always work with NO Data or Wi-fi. 

That's not quite true, as you should be able to receive iMessage using an email address on Data only too. I have 5 lines, and 3 of them are using emails for iMessages and all of them are working. As for the OP, I'd ask couple questions. 

1. Is your data working at all? Did you try anything else except iMessage

2. Are you having problems sending, receiving or both?

3. Did you try previous suggestions from other users?

Help me help me out....what did I say that is not true?

Camera4617

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@wellis wrote:

I have the same problem. And I just live with it. For sure you need wi-fi if you iMessage using an email address. But for my set up, which I am not prepared to change, I must turn Data ON to receive a Text/Imessage from a number or an email address when there is no Wi-Fi present. 

BUT any text to or from an android (green bubble) will always work with NO Data or Wi-fi. 

That's not quite true, as you should be able to receive iMessage using an email address on Data only too. I have 5 lines, and 3 of them are using emails for iMessages and all of them are working. As for the OP, I'd ask couple questions. 

1. Is your data working at all? Did you try anything else except iMessage

2. Are you having problems sending, receiving or both?

3. Did you try previous suggestions from other users?

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@wellis wrote:

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@wellis wrote:

Hello @wellis 

You should be able to send texts outside of wifi areas.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:

• Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
  • Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
  • Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
  • Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
  • Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

Try a Reset of your Network Settings, to see if things get in order.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

did you check if you Data is on?

Have you been with PM and Data was working and just stop working today?

or you are new to PM?   If you are new to PM, if so, try:

1. Insert  working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart.

Need Help? Let's chat.