cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone SE | User Experience

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello,

Awhile ago I started a thread on my iPhone was which pretty scathing as I recall. I'm not sure where the thread got to.

Any way, I am curious of your experience with the SE model.

Mine was horrible until I got the battery replaced. I still have to charge it a few times a day given the capacity but it actually withstands cold weather now and doesn't display percentages sporadically anymore. The old battery was at 85% and the new one is at 100%. Why does that matter? A technician told me that a battery is "barely usable" at 85%, completely unusable at 80% and good 90% or higher. I'm telling you so that you can replace yours if you are having trouble.

Since I have replaced the battery, the phone works wonderfully. My only regret is getting a 32GB model. It's decent for streaming but for downloads a minimum of 64GB would definitely be advised.

11 REPLIES 11

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have two iPhone se, one works great, the other has issues with, ringer and home, button sticky, the one that works great, I really like the size, and it’s basically an iPhone 6s, with different cover

@Obice wrote:

For those curious, this is the operation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AeiW3ujdxAdc6Q4X9

This is better. 

Where it starts to show  pics of screw removal, I print them and tape each screw to the appropriate red circle. Easy as ever.  

Obice

For those curious, this is the operation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AeiW3ujdxAdc6Q4X9

ha ha. Yup. I used to get away with them all the time....it used to be fun!

Obice

@LurganIeUk 

Don't ya just love double entendres?

Obice

@hairbag1 

There's a lot more comments in here than I expected there to be.

Here's something I neglected to mention having not thought to mention it beforehand. The technician I had a word with they told me not to trust the battery section in the iPhone itself. Apple has control over that and they will tell you whatever suits them. Instead, if you aren't already, get yourself a program called 3uTools. It's an iTunes replacement (if you don't have iTunes, it will ask that you either download it or that you download essential drivers derived from iTunes). 3uTools will tell you the health of your battery with an unbiased answer and if it is still 100% than my guess is you got a bad batch or Apple remains crummy (my view of their business practices hasn't changed just because my phone is working).

http://3u.com/

I do not live in B.C., I live in Ontario. Usually my phone worked fine in the hot weather with the bad battery so we'll see how it goes with the new battery. So far when it's charging I'll use it and it gets warm but that's nothing really unusual with any phone.

Since I worked for a major retailer for 40 years that had 2 stores in Kelowna. The acronym POS means Point Of Sale ie a cash register. Ha ha POS means some thing else too.....

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Obice...I have an SE 128gb...it's a great phone but had similar battery problems in 2019. I took it to a local cell repair shop in Sept and he took out the weak battery (75%) and installed a "new" battery. It showed 100% all the time. Great right ? Except in December, the battery charge started to drop fast. Like it would drop to unusable after about 2 hours of light use...but still showed Battery Health as 100%. I like my SE but thought maybe it was too sick so was ready to replace it. I took it to different repair shop...Kelowna Cell Repair where he did some diagnostics. He called me about an hour later to come and pick up my fixed SE. Charged me $50 and the phone works like new again. The battery that was installed in Sept was a POS, so Kelowna Cell Repair replaced it. FYI...he said that using some aftermarket charging cable are known to cause problems like this.

@Irv wrote:

Hi! Thank you for sharing your experience with that Iphone.

A friend of mine has that phone as well. And she is still using it after 4 years. But like you, she had many issues with the battery that was not reliable at all after around 2-3 years of use. All of sudden, the battery would dropped from 90% to 30% without any explanation. Unfortunately, she will need to pay for battery replacement, so I think she is going to wait for the new model (maybe being released this month??).

Other than this battery issue, she was very happy with it. The size of it was perfect for smaller hands, rare phone of this size those days. It's still nice to have a reliable fingerprint sensor even though it's slower than some android phones to unlock. We hope that the new model will keep it too!

Consider battery replacement or do your self using the iFixit web site. New phones have no home button which is good I guess but no longer have earphone port for wired ear phones. The SE is one of the last ones that are relatively easy to fix yourself.  Remember it is only a phone.......and for email. $1500 for a new one needs a business case with rationale before I would buy one. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Obice wrote:

Hello,

Awhile ago I started a thread on my iPhone was which pretty scathing as I recall. I'm not sure where the thread got to.

Any way, I am curious of your experience with the SE model.

Mine was horrible until I got the battery replaced. I still have to charge it a few times a day given the capacity but it actually withstands cold weather now and doesn't display percentages sporadically anymore. The old battery was at 85% and the new one is at 100%. Why does that matter? A technician told me that a battery is "barely usable" at 85%, completely unusable at 80% and good 90% or higher. I'm telling you so that you can replace yours if you are having trouble.

Since I have replaced the battery, the phone works wonderfully. My only regret is getting a 32GB model. It's decent for streaming but for downloads a minimum of 64GB would definitely be advised.

I believe I read your article. I am from lower mainland BC and assumed you were in a colder climate and thought no more. But I must admit my SE when in an outer uninsulated pocket on a cooler day it does decline quickly. While I am capable  and have all the tools to change our batteries, our phones are not used much and hold charges for 2 days. Eventually I will change if I keep these wonderful  smaller sized phones.  Keep in mind we are in and end of service iOS wise this upcoming fall. Apples horrible policy of no longer supporting phones that are still in perfect working condition rendering them obsolete. Also keep in mind that quite likely, unless your battery was replaced by Apple, it is not an OEM product. While I have installed numerous NON OEM batteries and will continue to do so, keep an eye on your phone for swelling (battery) and keep away from heat. I can see how easily they can combust spontaneously by poor manufacturer or installation. The latter rarely happens. And make sure you buy a “new” battery. I bought a “recycled” battery off of a crook on eBay.....blacked out the old markings and out his tiny hologram sticker on it....some how that rejuvenated it to new condition!! And yes I made an ass out of him on Google reviews as he had a business name and also received a refund. 

Irv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi! Thank you for sharing your experience with that Iphone.

A friend of mine has that phone as well. And she is still using it after 4 years. But like you, she had many issues with the battery that was not reliable at all after around 2-3 years of use. All of sudden, the battery would dropped from 90% to 30% without any explanation. Unfortunately, she will need to pay for battery replacement, so I think she is going to wait for the new model (maybe being released this month??).

Other than this battery issue, she was very happy with it. The size of it was perfect for smaller hands, rare phone of this size those days. It's still nice to have a reliable fingerprint sensor even though it's slower than some android phones to unlock. We hope that the new model will keep it too!

Need Help? Let's chat.