cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how not to use all my data so fast?

Jennifer33
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got the $15 plan so very little data but I use an iPhone and need iMessage turned on as my kids text me from our Mac computer when Im not home.. anyways I turned on my data for a couple days and now I'm almost out of data! anyone know how to stop my phone from using all my data so fast?  

11 REPLIES 11

Canlan54a
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, this of course assumes you use text to email and email to text and not imessaging. In that case no further data use or changes are required...very simple solution.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Jennifer33 iMesssages uses data and 250MB is only a little. You may wish to consider a plan that has more.

Canlan54a
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

further to Jennifer33 's reply. You could also simply send an email via your texting app to the kids on the home computer and they can simply "reply" to the sender info when they receive it... ie:     (your mobile) xxxxxxxxxx@mms.mb.telus.com

...also works great, just make sure you "add subject" when sending the text to an email address to ensure it doesn't get filtered to "junk" at the other end.

Data must still be enabled on your phone, but none is used because of proxy filtering of mms data.

@Luddite 

Thanks good to know

I assumed that due to that enriched or enhanced messaging that they are boasting about the origin of the message wouldn't matter

@Jennifer33 

Another thing to consider is to send it to  number@msg.telus.com, that will not require data definitely. I remember seeing to 4161234567@msg.telus.com you would need to figure out who to reply

@kselmak FYI: generally true that restricting iPhone messages to SMS/MMS would be the answer, but not in this case. Her children send messages from their MAC (i.e. an email address) and so can only be delivered as iMessages over wifi/cellular data. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Turn to Wifi only for the apps you dont want to use data.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Jennifer33 

Ok your settings set iMessages to sms and not data, that way data you use for your messaging is not counted towards your allowance.

Restrict you data and disable updates on data, disable WiFi assist

Turn on data saver it will help

It is possible to live with 250 

@Jennifer33 with the $15plan its no better that they call you. You have unlimited incoming calls. Stay safe. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Jennifer33 you are essentially in a catch 22 situation. Imessage uses data and you need it on to receive your kids messages from home. If you have an old Android phone that the kids can use. Load the TextNow App onto it it's free and it gives them a phone number and allows them to text you. This way when you are away from WiFi, you can turn off Imessage and still get texts from them using sms and mms which doesn't use your plan data. Stay safe. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Jennifer33 

Disable apps auto update

• iTunes & App Stores > Turn Off Use Cellular / Mobile Data

Disable background data

• Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Turn it Off entirely or by selective Apps

Disable iCloud sync

• Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > Turn Off iCloud Drive 

Disable Wifi Assist

• Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > scroll to bottom > Wi-Fi Assist > turn OFF

Disable data on certain apps

• Go to Settings > Cellular > Scroll through and disable applications you don't want to used your Cellular Data

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Jennifer33 , can you enable only certain apps to have mobile data access?  That would help to control usage.

https://ting.com/blog/ting-tip-for-ios-control-which-apps-use-cellular-data/

Need Help? Let's chat.