cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help! my public mobile phone was stolen!

johnandjanedoug
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

recently my car was broken into and my wallet and phone was stolen.

Need help figuring out how to get a new phone and still keep my old number.

Service has been deactivated,

And ive picked out a new public phone and put it in my cart.

Now whats next?

Havin a hard time without a customer service rep to speak with directly,

And without any public mobile kiosks left in my area.

Thanks!!!

12 REPLIES 12

@johnandjanedoug wrote:

just got a new phone and a new sim card.

Keep putting the new sim card number into change sim card,

and it keeps saying "oops something went wrong but dont panic"

everytime i input the new numbers.

Hi @johnandjanedoug if you had tried a number of times, your account might have locked.  Wait an hour before you try again.  Before you log in, delete your browsing data, cache and cookies.  Use a different browser and enable incognito mode.  Log back in.

I hope this helps

RosieR

@johnandjanedoug wrote:

@johnandjanedoug    Clear your cache/cookies and use a different browser with incognito/privacy mode enabled before retrying.  Make sure you are also entering the correct SIM number digits.

johnandjanedoug
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@johnandjanedoug wrote:

recently my car was broken into and my wallet and phone was stolen.

Need help figuring out how to get a new phone and still keep my old number.

Service has been deactivated,

And ive picked out a new public phone and put it in my cart.

Now whats next?

Havin a hard time without a customer service rep to speak with directly,

And without any public mobile kiosks left in my area.

Thanks!!!

Hi @johnandjanedoug ok so you have chosen the device you want, click "Buy Now", and pay for your purchase.  All Public Mobile pre-owned phones come with a free sim card. so nothing else to do but wait for your order to arrive.

Your order will ship via Canada Post or UPS and you should receive your order within 10 days. Once your order has been shipped, you will receive an email with a tracking number; you can track your Canada Post package here, or your UPS package here.

Once you get your ordered phone, follow instructions by @darlicious here.  and you'll be good to go.

I hope this helps

RosieR

@benfatto wrote:

Wonder if PM sends a SIM with their phones?

As per ad......yes. 

@benfatto 

Yes it is included.

Free Public Mobile SIM Card included with each purchase of a Certified Pre-Owned phone.

Available online only. Quantities limited.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wonder if PM sends a SIM with their phones?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@johnandjanedoug , sorry to hear that.

Yes, you can keep your old number as long as it was not in suspended status for more than 90 days. If over 90 days you lost your number and account, and require a new SIM to activate a new account.

Lost/Stolen Phone and/or Suspend Service:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/lost-or-stolen-phone

If your Phone is lost or stolen, you can Suspend your service if you’d like to prevent any calls or messages from being sent or received. Doing so will not keep your plan from expiring; however, it will ensure that your credit card is not charged at your next renewal date if you’re on AutoPay.

Just follow these steps:

1. Log into your Self-Serve account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Lost/Stolen Phone
  3. Select Suspend Service

Note that after 90 days in suspend, your account will be deactivated permanently so be sure to return to this page if you find your phone or decide to get a new SIM card.

If You Find Your Phone:

Hooray! Simply follow the same steps below to resume your service.

2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Lost/Stolen Phone
  3. Select Resume/Reactivate Service

Purchasing And Replacing Your SIM Card:

You may purchase a SIM card online or in retail.

Once you receive your new SIM card, you can change the SIM card number on your account and reactivate your service via Self-Serve by following these steps:

2. Go to Plan and Add-ons > Change SIM card
  3. Enter your new SIM card number into the field. 
  4. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Lost/Stolen Phone
  5. Select Resume Service; all done!

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@johnandjanedoug Deactivating your service is the first step.  Now that you ordered a public mobile phone (in your cart) the phone comes with a new SIM card at no charge, so once you receive it, you can go back into your account and change the sim number on the account and reactivate your service, as mentioned by @darlicious previously.  I think shipping is done by express Canada Post or Courier service and is tracked since they are shipping you a phone, so you should be receiving the item in a few days. There are some pretty good deals on phones through the Public Mobile website, many are Like New condition and sold cheaper than you can find on Amazon or Kijiji, and come with a 1 year warranty from Telus. 

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

you will keep your number as long as you didnt close your account. 

in terms of buying a new phone I would look into your local classifieds like kijiji or facebook marketplace, can find some good deals there.

@johnandjanedoug 

As far as buying a refurbished phone from public mobile I haven't done that before.... Ive bought a couple from amazon.ca and recently  a moto g7+ from B&H in NY,NY. Great deal and they are back on sale....US $119 from $249.....currently works out to about $170 cdn all in.  Awesome phone for that price! What do you have in your cart?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@johnandjanedoug 

By deactivated you mean you reported it as lost/stolen in your account? Once you recieve your phone or if you have a back up you can use in the meantime just buy a new sim card from a local retailer (don't activate it) and change your sim card number in your account with the new one. Then unsuspend your service from lost/stolen and put the sim card in your new or temporary phone  and youre good to go.....

Need Help? Let's chat.