cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting repeat phone calls from Public Mobile

divetotheblue
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hello all!

for the past couple weeks, I've been getting phone calls from Public Mobile for some reason. My phone will ring once then it proceeds to hang up before I pick up. Calling back gives me an automated message saying talk is not a part of my plan.

anyone else getting this or know what's up with these weird calls?

thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

@70sGuy wrote:

I’ve been getting the same calls with a call display showing * as the number until I go to redial and it tells me talk isn’t available.  

That would be because the type of phone numbers being discussed earlier are in an invalid format. Despite what it says earlier in this message thraed, 1905 is not the country code for the UK.  The numbers had a format of: 

Even if that's a phone number from another country, the format for dialing it is wrong. That would explain why when Divetotheblue was trying to call these numbers back, it didn't work.  I would say that when you're receiving these unwanted calls, there's a pretty good chance that the phone number that you see is fake, regardless.

bellaplace
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Be careful with those calls - most of the time they are phishing scams

70sGuy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’ve been getting the same calls with a call display showing * as the number until I go to redial and it tells me talk isn’t available.  

The error you're getting when you're attempting to call the number is only because the number is longer than 1+10 Digit number.

I've had somewhat recently, what appeared to be called from my province within my area code.  When I attempted to call it back by pressing on the number in my call log, it reformatted and dialled as 011226...... with too many digits.  I got that  same message.

When I then edited the dialed number, it completed a proper call.

For me, it was a CRA scam.  I blocked the number.

divetotheblue

@Jessica_T good idea with the wildcard blocking, I will look into it. Thanks Jessica!

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@divetotheblue wrote:

@Jessica_T I just called the number back again and realized I may have misinterpreted the automated message. Initially I thought it is Public Mobile calling me but its actually an automated message from Public Mobile telling me talk is not included.

The number starts with 1905 which according to Google, is the country code for the UK, which may explain the automated message since I do not have long distance in my plan. 

I am guessing these numbers are from some sort of call center. Whoever is trying to contact me is going to have a bad time. 

@divetotheblueMight be some sort of broken auto-dialer. Since it rings and hangs up maybe the device doesn't recognize it called you, and has a handful of outgoing lines / spoofed numbers. Hopefully it stops, or if you can find a phone blocking apps that allows you to insert a number with a wilcard and block all number that start with 190592616* but there is nothing anyone can do here. The only choice you really have is software for blocking numbers, changing your number, or hoping they stop.

divetotheblue

@Jessica_T I just called the number back again and realized I may have misinterpreted the automated message. Initially I thought it is Public Mobile calling me but its actually an automated message from Public Mobile telling me talk is not included.

The number starts with 1905 which according to Google, is the country code for the UK, which may explain the automated message since I do not have long distance in my plan. 

I am guessing these numbers are from some sort of call center. Whoever is trying to contact me is going to have a bad time. 

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@divetotheblue wrote:

hello all!

for the past couple weeks, I've been getting phone calls from Public Mobile for some reason. My phone will ring once then it proceeds to hang up before I pick up. Calling back gives me an automated message saying talk is not a part of my plan.

anyone else getting this or know what's up with these weird calls?

thanks!

@divetotheblueWhat number is calling you? Do calling other numbers work?

Need Help? Let's chat.