cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fraudulent call

DeeDee1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I received a call from someone saying they were from cibc, call display also said cibc, he asked if I was (name).....I said yes, then the call was disconnected. Did I just give someone access to my phone number?? I checked the number on canada 411, it is not registered to cibc!!  I had been on the phone several times with cibc earlier today. Should I be worried??

8 REPLIES 8

Banks rarely ever call you. 

Once again it is a good idea to keep your contacts list up to date. 

If you only see a number in caller......they are not one of your contacts!

The odd call that is not in your contacts may push a name as well...but rarely. 

So when you see a number only be very cautious. Never say “yes” and never confirm any thing they ask. You can just hang up and verify the number at 800Notes and then block number if you like. You can ask questions though....like their name, phone number, position, branch number, branch address etc. And of course say you are busy and ask if you can call back. 

@DeeDee1  Err on the side of caution....take @gblackma  and @geopublic suggestions. There is an old scam of recording your voice saying yes that is used by fraudsters for voice verification.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@DeeDee1 wrote:

Hi, I received a call from someone saying they were from cibc, call display also said cibc, he asked if I was (name).....I said yes, then the call was disconnected. Did I just give someone access to my phone number?? I checked the number on canada 411, it is not registered to cibc!!  I had been on the phone several times with cibc earlier today. Should I be worried??

@DeeDee1  If your were expecting a callback from the bank then no, if not then you should be concerned.

Change all your passwords especially your email and use 2FA preferably an app instead of your phone.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@DeeDee1  after doing what was suggested above log into your self service account and change your name in your profile to whatever you would like it to be. Ie Princes Lea. This would prevent the fraudelant porting of your number.

DeeDee1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for replying. I have called cibc, explained the situation in a voice mail, waiting to hear back from them.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@DeeDee1 wrote:

Do you normally deal with CIBC ? If so, perhaps someone was trying to reach you while working remotely.

ninja'd by @Triguy 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

They may have been working from home or using a cellphone.  If you have their name maybe contact your local branch to confirm if they are an employee.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@DeeDee1 wrote:

Contact CIBC again and ask if they had recently called you and explain what is going on.  Could it have been someone trying to reach you from a personal desk? 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.