cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

family shocked to receive sex sollicitation email on Christmas Day

JThomasing
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Our family was shocked to receive a sex message from Public Mobile Community on Christmas Day!

Our underage children sometimes use our phones and computer.

We are questioning if we want to remain members of Public Mobile that allows sex preditors to use its network information.

Here is the email we received:

Public Mobile Community community-notifications@publicmobile.ca
Wed 2019-12-25 1:50 AM,

You have received a private message in the Community.

Subject: Hey! 😉

Date: 12-24-2019 08:50 AM

Looking for hook up with a stranger! Ready for any experiments! - http://sexxsecret.com/ (DonnaS). I will show you my private photos and videos free...

16 REPLIES 16

@s108060816  I suspect it is from the original spam problem. If the date in the private message is from Friday report it. Otherwise delete it the issue has been solved.

s108060816
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got one too this Friday January 3rd!

@lynsay wrote:

Thank you for posting here.I received the same message and am also concerned about it but didn't think to post. Thanks for taking the initiative so that the concern is voiced and comments are available.

@JThomasing @lynsay  There are 8 different threads in the discussions section chronicling the very first message recieved ( or noticed ) Re: Private messages....and the sudden proliferation the next day. If you are interested in how it came about, was handled by the community, brought tpublic mobiles attention and finally resolved. Please read those threads for more information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been surprised at the response to this. It's not like an explicit photo blasts out at your delicate kids eyes. We've all seen these over our lifetimes. Look at it as a teachable moment. The likely age at which your kid gets the cellphone...they've probably seen images already.

If it's just you the adult then who cares. Oh well. Delete and move on.

lynsay

Thank you for posting here.I received the same message and am also concerned about it but didn't think to post. Thanks for taking the initiative so that the concern is voiced and comments are available.

flager

I used to get stuff like that all the time when I was with Bell Mobility. They always said they were looking into it... never had any explanation as to how or why I was receiving them...  I would screenshot the message and delete the message thread. 

flager

I used to get stuff like that all the time when I was with Bell Mobility.

Then if it weren't possible to send private messages, there isn't anything to stop anyone from posting right in the community, in new topics or existing. This would attract attention quicker but also be seen by more.

AE_Collector

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

This kind of things have to be banned immidiately 

This type of activity has never been allowed.  The only way to completely prevent it would be for Public Mobile no longer members to send private mesages to each other. I'm uncertain if Public Mobile has any software setting to accomplish that.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This kind of things have to be banned immidiately 

@geopublic wrote:

@JThomasing  To avoid this in the future best to go login into each of your community accounts. Click on your avatar icon top right of your screen to access your profile  Select settings and make sure you have checked the do not send me any community emails as follows:

ce.PNG

This will prvent the e-mail message beinig sent by the Community system.  However, that won't prevent someone from send the messages to yoru Community private message inbox. Sadly, the only way to 100% prevent these type of private message would be for Community members to turn off the private messaging system, an option that is available to everyone.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@JThomasing  To avoid this in the future best to go login into each of your community accounts. Click on your avatar icon top right of your screen to access your profile  Select settings and make sure you have checked the do not send me any community emails as follows:

ce.PNG

To stop the email aspect of this for now, turn off notifications. Then all private messages sent between community members stay on the Community messaging system without email notifications. I am not certain just how they can prevent something like this from happening. Anyone registered on the community can message others about what ever they want. Some sort of elaborate filter system but nothing is fool proof. I assume there is no hidden way to message everyone at once. Messages must have been sent one at a time going through the list of members. Large numbers of members would not be set up for email notifications, never log in to see messages and many no longer even PM customers. Maybe the amount of work involved compared to the number of people who actually receive the messages will virually eliminate the problem.

AE_Collector

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@JThomasing wrote:
Our family was shocked to receive a sex message from Public Mobile Community on Christmas Day!

Our underage children sometimes use our phones and computer.

We are questioning if we want to remain members of Public Mobile that allows sex preditors to use its network information.

Here is the email we received:

Public Mobile Community community-notifications@publicmobile.ca
Wed 2019-12-25 1:50 AM,

You have received a private message in the Community.

Subject: Hey! 😉

Date: 12-24-2019 08:50 AM

Looking for hook up with a stranger! Ready for any experiments! - http://sexxsecret.com/ (DonnaS). I will show you my private photos and videos free...

@JThomasing, yes there was a couple of IP's that created a lot of accounts to spam the forum.  I am an admin on another community as well and we have had this happent here as well.  The IP's get treated as SPAM and can't post but the until it is noticed those accounts can send out 1000's of private messages combined.  Now these were private messages and not a text to your phone.  If your underage children have access to your phone or computer they would need to know your login information here or they would have to go through your email.  Unless you let them go through your email they would have never seen these messages.  PM got to it as soon as they were notified and are still working on it to prevent others from continuing this.  These messages did not go to every customer so they were able to stop it before all customers were affected.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Public mobile is aware of the issue. This is what @Alan_K wrote on thread below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Sex-advertisements/td-p/475378

Hi all,

First, hope you're having a great holiday Smiley Happy

Second, on some not so great matters-  thank you for flagging the recent spam issue with us- we identified two IP addresses who have created numerous accounts (almost in the 1000s) to message Community members, at random, links to inappropriate websites. 

I want to reassure you that no private information has been disclosed, and that the only way these individuals were able to contact customers was via Community private message only. 

We have taken action to ban these accounts and mark their content as spam, however we are still looking into whether we can retract or delete private messages from these accounts. The ask right now would be to manually delete these messages. For now, please let the Community know we are monitoring this and having conversations with our partners at Khoros on how to mitigate this. Please continue using the reporting feature to remove this type of content in the regular boards.

We deeply apologize for letting this slip through the cracks.

Thanks,

Alan

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There were spam message being sent out.  It was reported to the moderators.  Here is a prevoius thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Sex-advertisements/m-p/475378

Need Help? Let's chat.