cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data only works for some apps

sahands
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

some times like today, I have my data on, and it was only working for certain apps like the browser, but not others like google map: could open it, but could not navigate or search, when I connected to wifi then maps was working. 

23 REPLIES 23

Leeoku
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

was able to solve turns out my apn was pointing to koodo not public after i switched sims

@Leeoku 

Can you post your APN? It sounds like you connected briefly to free wifi. You likely need to edit your APN to public mobiles.

Edit:

Name

Mobile Internet

APN

sp.mb.com

Proxy

Not set

Port

Not set

Username

Not set

Password

Not set

Server

Not set

MMSC

http://aliasredirect/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy

mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS port

MCC

MNC

Authentication type

Not set

APN type

default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol

IPv4

APN roaming protocol

IPv4

APN enable/disable

APN enabled

Bearer

Unspecified

MVNO type

GID

MVNO value

4D4F

Leeoku
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Im on  a oneplus 6 and just had this happen to me. I switched from Koodo so I'm sure it worked. When I was out trying to use it for the first time, none of my google apps can connect but browser was fine. Couple minutes later and possibly in another area, google maps is fine.

Not sure if fully solved, will have to wait and try..

sahands

That wouldn't be an issue, since maps works fine on both wifi or data when I'm at home.

Unlikely, because Google Maps doesn't require much data either.

@sahands wrote:

I have another hypothesis, what if data coming from that tower is very slow? Could it be that the web browser on my phone can load simple pages quickly and efficiently on slow data connections, whereas google maps requires a fast connection to load things like traffic and directions?

@sahands Yes, if there is network congestion that would be a valid assumption to make.It's happened to me also but only when there are large gatherings like a sports event or a concert.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sahands wrote:

some times like today, I have my data on, and it was only working for certain apps like the browser, but not others like google map: could open it, but could not navigate or search, when I connected to wifi then maps was working. 

Have you granted Google Maps the appropriate app permissions? 

sahands

I have another hypothesis, what if data coming from that tower is very slow? Could it be that the web browser on my phone can load simple pages quickly and efficiently on slow data connections, whereas google maps requires a fast connection to load things like traffic and directions?

@sahands wrote:

It seems to be a cell tower issue based on location.

The cell tower doesn't have the capability to do that. Not to mention towers are owned and operated by Bell in the GTA.

sahands

My phone is set to use 4G. 

The issue that other forum users had with their forum is not really the problem that I'm experiencing. 

I was in oakville today and had no issues there using my maps. It seems to be a cell tower issue based on location.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic wrote:

@sahands wrote:

Xiaomi A2 lite on Android one (version 9)

@sahands Is your phone connecting to LTE or 3G for data? Best to connect using LTE or 4G. Sometimes if the network is congested it's possible that the browser will work but other more data intensive apps drag. That phone supports two sims make sure your using sim 2.

@geopublic this seems an unlikely cause for this problem.

@sahands it looks like you may not be alone.  Here are some threads from the Xioami and XDA forums which may be helpful?

https://c.mi.com/thread-2198584-1-0.html

https://c.mi.com/thread-1687989-1-0.html

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/help/mobile-data-issue-pie-update-t3884664

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@sahands wrote:

@sahands Is your phone connecting to LTE or 3G for data? Best to connect using LTE or 4G. Sometimes if the network is congested it's possible that the browser will work but other more data intensive apps drag. That phone supports two sims make sure your using sim 2.

sahands

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sahands wrote:

I think it's just PM that's screwing with me 😞

@sahands it's not.  As @computergeek541 noted, data is just bits in a pipe.  What phone are you using?  Brand, model, and operating system version?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@sahands wrote:

Please don't mark your own posts as solutions.  I hope that someone is able to help you figure this out.  I can't see any reason for Public Mobole would care which app is being used. It's all the same bandwidth to them.

sahands

@sahandsNope cellphone towers don't care what app it is using data.

sahands

So it happened again today, I restarted my phone, and still the same thing, I checked my browser and it was working fine. After I made the trip out of town and got home, I tried the data again, this time maps was working fine!

So it seems odd, but could it be that the cell towers in certain areas are blocking certain apps from using data????

LeafLife
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A simple way is to take your sim out of your current phone and try it in another phone. This should tell you if there are restrictions on your phone preventing the Data use in that particular app. Simple way to test things at the very least.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Also check data restrictions

See if you gave all the needed permissions for maps to operate

Can you test it on another phone? 

Recovery
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Make sure cellular data usage for google maps is turned on through your phone settings. If it is already enabled, try restarting your phone.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your settings.  Google maps can be set to only work when connected to wi-fi.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sahands , what phone do you have and is there any kind of firewall app running that is selectively enabling data?  Public Mobile does not manage how your data is used.  If the data works to your phone, it should work for all apps.  

Need Help? Let's chat.