cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charged for minutes I have not used

SarahJane1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I recently ran out of minutes on my plan for the first time in a year or two. I found this odd so I had a look back through my usage and there appears to be a 40 something minute long call that doesn't exist on my phone that I am being charged for. How is this possible and is there anything I can do about it?

4 REPLIES 4

@Meow 

Nice catch as this table also contains info thats official but not actually true.....

If you have the current in market $15 plan with 100 outgoing minutes the following does not use minutes......

• Recieving incoming calls.
  • Calls to 911 and 611 (IVR).
  • Call forwarding.
  • Calls to toll free numbers.
  • Calls to 1 855 4PUBLIC.
  • Using a calling app while on wifi
  • Using Fongo but will use mobile data if wifi is unavailable (0.5mb=1 min/250mb=500min).

The following does use minutes....

• Making outgoing calls.
  • Calling your voicemail from your device.
  • Using a calling card for long distance that requires connecting thru a non-toll free number.

@Dunkman 

Perhaps an edit is needed for your post.

@Dunkman wrote:

Just a reminder:

Talk

Talk minutes are counted whenever you make or receive calls on your phone. Talk time is calculated from the start of a call to when it is disconnected, and includes ring time and call routing. Total call time is always rounded up to the nearest minute. Please note that calls to voicemail and forwarding calls will use plan minutes.

Use Minutes

Doesn't Use Minutes

Making a call

Calling *611 (the IVR)

Answering a call (not with $15 plan)

Making or receiving calls from 911

Retrieving voicemail messages

Using calling apps when connected to Wifi

Using call forwarding

This is VERY useful table but it might be confusing for new customers particularly on $15 plan.

When they see 'Answering a call...' under 'Use minutes' some might panic not reading the rest (not with $15 plan). Using minutes Answering a call does not matter as nobody is charged to receive calls (unless I am wrong?).

For those with unlimited incoming/outgoing calls count of incoming calls is just a number they do not care.

I would suggest modifying 'Doesn't Use Minutes' to have 'Answering a call on any plan'.

@SarahJane1 

Glad to hear that you figured things out.  The talk minute tracker is fairly accurate.  Unable to delete your post, but it is fine to keep in forum. 

Just a reminder:

Talk

Talk minutes are counted whenever you make or receive calls on your phone. Talk time is calculated from the start of a call to when it is disconnected, and includes ring time and call routing. Total call time is always rounded up to the nearest minute. Please note that calls to voicemail and forwarding calls will use plan minutes.

Use Minutes

Doesn't Use Minutes

Making a call

Calling *611 (the IVR)

Answering a call (not with $15 plan)

Making or receiving calls from 911

Retrieving voicemail messages

Using calling apps when connected to Wifi

Using call forwarding

You can also purchase the $5 Canada wide talk add on that offers 500 minutes. Unused minutes do roll over to next month.  It is a very useful and reasonably priced add on for the limited talk plans.  

SarahJane1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sorry, I just figured out the answer to my own question, but can't delete this post. My own oversight!

Need Help? Let's chat.