cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannt make calls anymore emergency calls only

skalien
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi, Hi i have a moto g4 plus, my network stopped working today, i cannot receive calls anymore. "emergency calls only" my bills are auto paid, i did not change credit card would you please help me?? Smiley Happy thanks Laurent Barrière
23 REPLIES 23

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@skalien I gather you are back up and running?  What was the problem and resoluiton, if you don't mind me asking?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

skalien

Thanks all

I am assuming that the phone idd work before all this started, so that would seem to rule out a compatibility issue.

I also do not believe this is a sim card issue. your phone never had any problem detecting it, and plus you've already switched to a new one.  Emergency calls only means that only 911 calls are allowed.  This could be because you might be connected to the wrong mobile network.

Since your sim card works a different phone, you'll need to focus your attention on phone related troubleshooting.

Check that  the phone's IMEI on the national blacklist of lost or stolen phones.

Make sure that your phone is on Authomatic Network Selection.  This lets the phone choose the proper network without any user intervention.

If all else fails, backup all of your user data and perform a factory reset on your phone.

@srlawren cheers for that!

I'm still somewhat unfamilar with all the different frequencies, and why North America is so different from the rest of the world.

Seems like it would be easier if there were fewer opptions available, yet I know it's progress in tech that drives this.

srlawren

@stonechucker some models of G4 Plus do, but not all.  I think it's more common on the Euro spec.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I believe this phone has a dual sim tray.  Try using the other sim slot.  You may need to use, or remove the adapter to do so.

srlawren

Sorry @skalien I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point.  I'm thinking you're down to either (a) change phones, or (b) change providers.  I'd personally go with option (a) but your mileage may vary.  I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion though.

skalien

Hi,

I just received my new card, i activated it. It still doesnt not work 😞 it works on my friends phone.

I made a post on lenovo too

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/moto-g-4-plus-no-more-network/td-p/3512251

if you have any suggestions 😞

@computergeek541

@srlawren

My belief is that all phones are better with the non-triple-punch sim cards, and that you're better off with a sim card that only works in the exact size that your phone uses.  From a technical standpoint, the triple-punch sim cards have more removable pieces and those can become a factor.  (ie.  the smaller parts falling out inside the phone and getting stuck).  There was a time when cell phone manufactuers used to warn against the use of these types of sim cards and sim card adaptpers.

The only advantage to these triple-punch sim cards is the versatility, which is the reason they have become standard.  But, they are actually more problematic (although only slightly) than one-size sim cards.

srlawren

@skalien unfortunately, PM only offers triple-punch SIM cards.  I'm not sure what to suggest.  If the issue is the card is not making enough contact with the phone's pins you could try thickening it up with a little bit of paper cut to size but do this as your own risk as it might make it difficult to remove the card after.

skalien

@srlawren

I think this might be an issue with this phone. Its better with unpounchable sims according tot his official forum.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/Moto-G4-Sim-issue/m-p/3509948#M12204

srlawren

Hi @skalien, I'm not sure what you mean by cropped?  All SIM cards shipped from PM now are triple-punch cards, meaning a nano SIM inside a nano-to-micro adapter ring inside a micro-to-standard sim adapter ring.  You simply "punch out" the size you need, which for a G4 Plus is Micro SIM.

skalien

@srlawren

i can try tomorrow evening,

is it possible to order a sim card that is not cropped?

@skalien wrote:

i tried my old backup simcard which is still active on the same account

didnt work 😞

As mentioned, it's not supposed to work. There's no such thing as an old backup sim card which is active on the same account. If i'ts an old, used sim card, that sim card is a paper weight.  It cannot be used again, and it can't be active at the same time as your current sim card.

If you want to see if your sim card is causing you issues, you'll need to attach a new, ununsed sim card to your account.

srlawren
@skalien back up sim card still active on the same account? Is this a Public Mobile account? You can only have one sim card active on your account at a time so I can't see how this is possible.

Are you able to try your active sim card in another unlocked or telus/Koodo locked phone?

skalien

@srlawren

i thinkt his might be a cropped sim card problem vs Moto G4 plus

do public make regular sim cards?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/MotoG4thGen/thread-id/110/page/2

skalien

@sm416

i tried my old backup simcard which is still active on the same account

didnt work 😞

skalien

Hi,

Account is active,

611 wont work

thanks suggestion,

i tried a factory reset yesterday, it didnt help 😞

srlawren

@sm416 they may have, but didn't mention, so it's a starting point at least.  

sm416
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@srlawren wrote:

@skalien first step, reboot your phone (unless you have already) and see if that makes any difference.  Next step sign into selfserve.publicmobile.ca and verify if your account status is Active.  Please report back after.

You'd figure those are steps they would have taken before posting here...

srlawren

@skalien first step, reboot your phone (unless you have already) and see if that makes any difference.  Next step sign into selfserve.publicmobile.ca and verify if your account status is Active.  Please report back after.

rkreddyb4u
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

hmm - can you please login to selfserve and see the account status or dial *611

sm416
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Have you tried your SIM in a different phone, or a different SIM in your phone to rule out hardware problems?

Need Help? Let's chat.