cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cancellation upon death of account holder

janieed
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, my mother recently passed away, how can I cancel her number and can any unused time/ data/ funds be refunded or transferred?

9 REPLIES 9

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ssmontgo 

You could do so on behalf of the loved one with the provider. Samsung will also provide unlocking codes for its devices. Any device manufactured after December 2017 should be unlocked already if sold in Canada.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

ssmontgo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What if the person wanted to unlock the device and donate it to charity, anyway to unlock a device? 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@janieed wrote:

Hi, my mother recently passed away, how can I cancel her number and can any unused time/ data/ funds be refunded or transferred?

@janieed  so sorry for your loss.

If you have her phone with you, can you call 611 to disable Autopay (if there is a card registered to the account?).

Then in 90 days, or when funds are depleted to renew and after 90 days of nonpay the account will automatically close.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@janieed : What the above does not say is why you "need" to contact the CSA's. You don't.

We don't yet know your whole situation nor what you've done so far with the couple suggestions offered.

You may very well end up preferring to contact them..but you don't need to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@janieed 

sorry for your loss my condolences,

you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Explain your issue to 
them can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,and Submit a Ticket,

• you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • please include in your message,
  • phone number,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: For public mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

@janieed 

I am sorry for your loss. You may want to maintain the account on the lowest plan until you are sure there are no accounts with her phone number attached for 2FA are left unaccessed and/or closed. You could also suspend the account via lost/stolen (before renewal at midnight eastern) if you want to maintain voicemail access or by removing autopay and reactivate before day 89/90 for 30 days service and suspend again so you keep access to the phone number if necessary.

I still run across the odd account after 5 years that my late partner had that I have needed to close or access that I needed to reset the password to do so and maintaining the phone number has made it hassle free. 

For awhile it was also comforting to hear his voicemail message until I accidently changed it when I switched to pm....but all good things must come to pass eventually.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@janieed 

I'm really sorry for your loss.

Her account is prepaid you will not be able to transfer any unused data or minutes.

You can easily change the number and info on the account if you would like somebody else to use it, this way you would retain also her loyalty and referral credits.

@janieed wrote:

Sorry to hear this.  Unfortunately, refunds aren't offered.  To cancel, autopay needs to be disabled (if enabled) and payments to the account stopped. The account will automatically close after being suspended for 90 days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@janieed : Very sorry for your loss. This is a prepaid service. If she had autopay set up then the next payment should fail due to the cancellation/closing of any payment cards.

Is there a balance on the account?

Need Help? Let's chat.