cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not send or receive text messages

KGblake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Phone will not send or receive text messages without wifi and does not send or receive any sms messages only iMessages . I have taken sim card out powered on and off, put back in, not worked, I have removed the cell service provider to another and then put back to public, still does not work, Account is active and paid up to date . Help!!

6 REPLIES 6

KGblake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

yes sms is enabled 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@KGblake wrote:

Phone will not send or receive text messages without wifi and does not send or receive any sms messages only iMessages . I have taken sim card out powered on and off, put back in, not worked, I have removed the cell service provider to another and then put back to public, still does not work, Account is active and paid up to date . Help!!

Are you able to make or receive phone calls?

Are you able to use DATA without WIFI ?

Double check in your account that the last 4 digits of your SIM card match the card in your phone. (under "Change Sim card in the self-serve portal)

@KGblake 

If above suggestions don't work, make sure to keep the data on for your iPhone.  iMessage uses data or wifi.

Here is a recent thread about similar issue. Might be helpful.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Service-issue-with-texts/td-p/6456...

Read the comments from CalgaryBen near the end of the thread.  He is one of the iPhone experts in this forum

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Most iPhone users have iMessage enabled, but may have turned off SMS support.

1. Open the Settings app and go to “Message”
  2. Locate the switch for “Send as SMS” and turn this to the ON position (if send as SMS is already on, try turning it off for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on again)
  3. Return to Messages and try sending the text message again

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@KGblake wrote:

iMessage is using its protocol and can be sent by wifi or mobile data.

But SMS is piggy back on the mobile voice channel.  You need to coinfigure iMessage setting to sent SMS over mobile voice channel.

Under iPhone Messages settings:
iMessage = enabled

SMS/MMS
MMS Messaging = enabled
Group Messaging = enabled
All other Messages settings are disabled

How do you know what message type you are sending or receiving on iPhone?
Messages with green bubbles are normal SMS/MMS text messages.
Message with blue bubbles are sent via the iMessage.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@KGblake wrote:

@KGblake   I think I've seen it mentioned in other posts that you need to enable the SMS app on Iphones.  Go into your settings and makes sure that SMS messaging is enabled.

Edit:  You can take a look at this thread for more info on SMS: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/iPhone-on-15-plan-How-to-send-SMS/m-p...

Need Help? Let's chat.