cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calls not connecting

Buzzard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can anybody give me so me info on why my calls do not connect at a certain location.

When I go to my campsite (Parkland beach Alberta) I have full bars on my phone and when I make a call it says dialing but you hear no ringing and the calls never get answered. We have a brand new tower only 200 yds away and have had people inside my RV phone out and receive incoming calls but I am unable to do so.

12 REPLIES 12

Buzzard

Just had a friend here who uses Koodo and there having the same connection problems. So it does seem I'm in a poor reception area, I was hoping the new tower would help but it seems its dependent on where you are in the park.

@Buzzard wrote:

Its a Samsung J3 2016 This morning I went to within 200 yds of the tower and in direct line of sight of the tower and only got 3 bars . then when I went behind some trees still at the same distance away it dropped to 1 bar  and as I got further away clear of the trees the signal went up again . So I'm thinking the trees are my problem

The fact that you went down to 1 bar isn't itself an issue. If you're phone is on 1900MHz and only showing 1 bar, that doesn't mean that you could get a much stronger reading if your phone swtiched to 850MHz.  

I do agree that it sounds as if signal is weak in your area, based on what you're saying that in specific places, phone calls aren't possible.

Buzzard

Its a Samsung J3 2016 This morning I went to within 200 yds of the tower and in direct line of sight of the tower and only got 3 bars . then when I went behind some trees still at the same distance away it dropped to 1 bar  and as I got further away clear of the trees the signal went up again . So I'm thinking the trees are my problem

Buzzard

Its a samsung J3 prime 2016 and yes it does have a thick leather case 

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What kind of phone do you have? Do you have a thick case on your phone? Sometimes a case can reduce signal so try taking it off if you haven't. And unfortunately, some places are just spottier than others. 

@Buzzard 

Do other people in the same area with Telus/Koodo/PM have the same issue as yourself?  In some more remote areas, sometimes different mobile companies reception is better.  

Also, is your phone a bit older?  Which model? Sometimes the phone itself can be an issue if it does not have all the bands necessary for PM service.  

Buzzard

Tried that bot didn't help I think its the number of trees thats affecting my signal

Buzzard

Changed my settings to Wcdma as you said it seems that I am not getting a signal from the new tower or there is 2 many trees in the way. Even close to the new tower i only get 1 bar with the amount of trees so just going to have to live with it.

Buzzard

I will try that when I go up friday, its annoying as I walk to the marina then I can phone out and receive calls but I think then I am picking up a different tower

Buzzard

I don't receive calls whilst there but i do get texts

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Buzzard can you receive calls when there? And have you tried restarting your phone when you can't make a call? Turn it off, wait 30 seconds and restart it. Stay safe. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Buzzard change your preferred network to 3g(wcdma,HSPA) to find out what your real signal quality is showing. after that try resetting your network settings

Need Help? Let's chat.