cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

active account. lost phone and want the new sim card to work with current account and number

caradee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I lost my phone. I bought a new sim card and switched it online in my account. I inserted it into my temporary used phone and it reads "no service".

How do I make this new phone activate? I keyed in *#60# and got an error message due to it being not in service. Maybe the phone is locked? how can I find out and fix that? Maybe its another problem?

I have been trying to resolve this for most of the day and so frustrated at the lack of straightforward information.

Please please help me! I am at my wits end. I would seriously consider finding a different cell provider if I hadn't already spent so much time and money on this.

14 REPLIES 14

@caradee   Just to confirm, you dialed,

*#06#

to get IMEI number?

Only asking because you wrote it as '60' earlier. 

@caradee 

To check your iPhone 4 status. Check here. https://imei24.com/check/iphone_lock_checker/

It will tell you if it is unlocked or not and if it is...will tell you the carrier as well. 

Your IMEI number is also on the SIM card tray too...get your magnifying glass out. 

@darlicious wrote:

@caradee 

Contact the moderators** and ask them to reset your account and/or reprovision your sim card. This should work unless you're really unlucky and purchased a sim card that is a dud.

** After confirming your phone is not carrier locked (unlikely.)

Edit: Now that I know its an iPhone4 there is a good possibility its locked and needs to be updated. The updates can also be done over wifi without the sim card inserted. If you have not been a customer of Rogers in the previous 12 months they will refuse to unlock your device. Apple support is your best bet.

Apple WILL NOT unlock an iPhone. 

@caradee wrote:

I did not report my phone lost as it is at the bottom of the Fraser river. 

I simply bought the new sim card changed the sim number on my account and inserted the new sim.

The original provider is Rogers, it may still be locked but it hasn't prompted me for a unlock code. How do I find out if its locked? How do I get it unlocked if that is the case? I have dialed *#60# and only get an error code. The phone is a very old Iphone 4 but it works just fine.

The iPhone 4, a good phone, would have been sold in a locked condition...unless it was bought at the Apple store. See if you can try sim in an unlocked phone. BTW it just passed in Maple Ridge. 

Bish500
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If your phone is locked, Rogers will be able to unlock it for you.  Call their customer service line, and ask them to check the phone using your IMEI number.  

I think you also need to "report your phone lost" for your original phone - even though it's at the bottom of the river.  I think that disables your previous SIM card.

Hopefully this helps!

caradee

thank you for replying to my question

@caradee 

Contact the moderators** and ask them to reset your account and/or reprovision your sim card. This should work unless you're really unlucky and purchased a sim card that is a dud.

** After confirming your phone is not carrier locked (unlikely.)

Edit: Now that I know its an iPhone4 there is a good possibility its locked and needs to be updated. The updates can also be done over wifi without the sim card inserted. If you have not been a customer of Rogers in the previous 12 months they will refuse to unlock your device. Apple support is your best bet.

@caradee wrote:

I simply bought the new sim card changed the sim number on my account and inserted the new sim.

The original provider is Rogers, it may still be locked but it hasn't prompted me for a unlock code. How do I find out if its locked? How do I get it unlocked if that is the case? I have dialed *#60# and only get an error code. The phone is a very old Iphone 4 but it works just fine.

Are you trying to find the IMEI for this phone?  The code for that is *#06# .

An iPhone 4 must be connected to a computer and iTunes (or whatever Apple is calling it now) ran to "activate" the device. This process checks with Apple if the phone is unlocked before allowing you to use it after inserting a different carrier's SIM card. Was this step done?

caradee

@caradee wrote:

My account is active and ive rebooted 3 times. Any other ideas?

1-What is model of the phone?

2-What provider was the phone used for previously?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Did you report your phone lost? Did you report it found after changing the sim card number?

Which make and model of the phone do you have? Who is the original provider?

Thanks

caradee

My account is active and ive rebooted 3 times. Any other ideas?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@caradee wrote:

I lost my phone. I bought a new sim card and switched it online in my account. I inserted it into my temporary used phone and it reads "no service".

How do I make this new phone activate? I keyed in *#60# and got an error message due to it being not in service. Maybe the phone is locked? how can I find out and fix that? Maybe its another problem?

I have been trying to resolve this for most of the day and so frustrated at the lack of straightforward information.

Please please help me! I am at my wits end. I would seriously consider finding a different cell provider if I hadn't already spent so much time and money on this.

@caradee ,

Try rebooting your phone after you changed your SIM number on your SELF SERVE.

Is your account showing ACTIVE? IF not can you RESUME your account?

Locked Phone? Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you.

You will need your imei number dial *#06# to get it.

Lost/Stolen Phone and/or Suspend Service:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/lost-or-stolen-phone

@caradee wrote:

Hvae you checked if this phone is compatible and unlcocked? Which model is it?

Need Help? Let's chat.