cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You just called me

Zefman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Every 2-3 months or so someone phones me and the conversation goes something like this:

Caller:  "Hey, I'm returning your call, what's up?"

me: "... sorry?"

Caller:  "You just called me 5 minutes ago, I missed the call, so I'm returning it?"

Me: "... I never called you.. What number does it say?"

Caller: *reads me my number*

Me: ".. Yeah, sorry man, but I never called you, I didn't phone anyone, I don't know what happened."

Caller: ".... uhh.. ok...  cya"  *hangs up*

It's always different people that call. I check my history in my account, and on my phone, and there is nothing there indicating I made any calls..  What the heck is going on? 

10 REPLIES 10

Nancy17
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We got a phone call like this today. A woman called and said, "Hello, this is (forgot what name she used) from (forgot what company she stated). You called me and I'm calling you back"  To which I responded, "Uhh, no we didn't call you!", and I promptly hung up the phone. My elderly father looked surprised and had the expression of, "Why did you do that?", look on his face.  I told him, "That is how I handle unwanted phone calls". My dad answers the phone at times, even if it's coming from an unknown number. I never answer a call from an anonymous number, and promptly block it if no message is left on my voice mail.

Call blocking will help. 

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

😀Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. 😀

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

LurganIeUk_0-1595608831534.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/15/how-to-identify-block-spamc-calls-ios-android/

Copyright 2020

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is...

C. R. I. M. I. N. A. L.

Yes, I know you probably know, still feels good/right to say. 😂 I think the more we say the obvious, the more awareness is spread and the quicker there will be a resolution.

Livvybabyxo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for the tip 😅 I am so trying this! 

Livvybabyxo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This has been happening to me in the opposite way. I'm having people call me and them not knowing they called. I also get alot of really strange made up numbers spamming me. 

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AE_Collector wrote:

Ever notice how often you get a call from someone where you dont recognize the number but caller is your Area COde and Exchange number?  Scam calls where they spoof the first 6 digits to the same as your number that they are calling to make it appear a local call and you will be more likely to answer.

AE_Collector

This may be true but it still doesnt work... i still wont answer!! Ill google it, but unless its someone i know too bad! lol. 

Now, if someone spoofs someone I knows number and tries to call me that way... it still may not work depending what time, but i would be more likely to answer.... theyre getting sneaky

Ever notice how often you get a call from someone where you dont recognize the number but caller is your Area COde and Exchange number?  Scam calls where they spoof the first 6 digits to the same as your number that they are calling to make it appear a local call and you will be more likely to answer.

AE_Collector

As @gblackma mentioned it could be one of your friends spoofing your number to another friend. Since it only happens every few months. 

For example if you google prankowl. You can send prank calls to people and type in any number you want to display on their caller id.

If you have a Tony's pizza in your area that's a funny one to send friends and you just make the caller id show as your local Tony pizza number 🤣

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Zefman hi do you keep your phone in your pocket I do it all the time lol 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Zefman someone spoofed your number.  You have 2 options switch your number or wait it out. You can switch your number once per 30 day cycle from within your self service account.  However, there is no guarantee that this wont happen to the new one too.  Or wait it out like I am. I got the same call last week. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.