cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would be awesome

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It would be awesome for public mobile to offer different roaming packages in the US. Sure $20 for 10 days is awesome price but for 1 day in the US it's expensive. I'm sure it's been brought up many times. I'm sure it would attract more customers who only want short term roaming and a cheap plan.

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tehowennathe I'm not sure how often you go on the day/weekender trips, but if it's frequent, you might want to consider taking a Koodo migration offer, should one come up.  Easy Roam is $8 per 24 hours and gives you access to all your regular plan features as if you were at home, plus calling to the USA.  So a day trip would be a $12 savings per trip and a weekender a $4 savings per trip, though as soon as you get to a "long weekender" of 3+ days, you're paying more than the $20 bundle you've been using so far.  You also get access to international roaming, albeit at a ridiculous $12 a day that gets very expensive very quickly--but at least it's an option.

That said, if you go infrequently and get a price you're happy with on your plan, you're probably still better to suck up the $20 when you do travel and continue enjoying the savings on your base plan for the time being.  But if a tempting Koodo migration offer should eventually come your way, access to Easy Roam might tip the scales for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@stonechucker wrote:

@RobertQc, at a further reduced cost.... YES!

Currently, only the 8 GB USA included calling can be matched price for price.  90 day should be cheaper.

@stonechuckerthat would be beautiful, but I would even be willing to pay full price of the promotional 30 day plans * 3 (as a 90 day), I just want less renewals due to random renewal glitches.

@RobertQc, at a further reduced cost.... YES!

Currently, only the 8 GB USA included calling can be matched price for price.  90 day should be cheaper.

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

they would have to offer more choice than a department store. 

@will13amThat would tickle my fancy.

We don't always get what we want, at least not from every source.  This is what shopping is all about.  I am starting to tire of saying the same old, same old which is why I did not mention my favorite chorus, get this service for what is it and not what you wish it to be. 

@will13amI have this service for what it is, but still in the back of my mind wish things were different. If I could have just 1 thing change at public mobile, it would be to match the 90 day plans with the 30 day promotions during special offer events.

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

We don't always get what we want, at least not from every source.  This is what shopping is all about.  I am starting to tire of saying the same old, same old which is why I did not mention my favorite chorus, get this service for what is it and not what you wish it to be. 

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Apart from the inconvenience, it is always best to shop local for best price and selection.  That said, no service is ideal for every situation.  If what Public Mobile has to offer doesn't cut it, it is much easier to shop elsewhere than to ask for new plan offerings.  If they were to placate to every suggestion, they would have to offer more choice than a department store. 

Willaug56
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Agreed stonechucker

tehowennathe

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@tehowennathe wrote:

It would be awesome for public mobile to offer different roaming packages in the US. Sure $20 for 10 days is awesome price but for 1 day in the US it's expensive. I'm sure it's been brought up many times. I'm sure it would attract more customers who only want short term roaming and a cheap plan.

I actually think what they have done is fine.  When I first got here there wasn't even a US roaming package.  We already have so many people posting they picked the wrong package or addon can you imagine adding that many more options?  As a self serve service we are prone to more user errors than other providers and sometimes limiting options is the only way to reduce the possibilities of user error.  As well PM was/is for the basic no frills users not the snowbirds who are gone 3-6 months a year.  Sure it maybe expensive if you are only going for one day but then just don't buy the $20 addon pick the minimum you need and go on with your day as you travel.  You should be able to get by a day without data or texting or calling.  Choose the one that fits your needs the most.

I agree they are doing an awesome job. When I first joined we didn't have roaming and I was forced to get Roam Mobility for roaming. 

@tehowennathe,

For a one day trip, your incoming text messages will still be delivered, and if you need to respond, then I'd either add the roaming text or talk option depending on the response required.

If you NEED to be connected, you're going to do whatever you think is right.  I don't NEED my phone for anything other than personal reasons, and if I'm travelling, my important contacts will have a number to leave me a message or will have a number to reach me at (Hotel, friend, etc..).

Generally, short trips I can deal with WiFi only connection.  With all the apps that can make voice or text contact, who needs more than a simple data connection, and that can easily be covered by a data roaming addon or local sim.

But this is only my opinion.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@tehowennathe wrote:

I actually think what they have done is fine.  When I first got here there wasn't even a US roaming package.  We already have so many people posting they picked the wrong package or addon can you imagine adding that many more options?  As a self serve service we are prone to more user errors than other providers and sometimes limiting options is the only way to reduce the possibilities of user error.  As well PM was/is for the basic no frills users not the snowbirds who are gone 3-6 months a year.  Sure it maybe expensive if you are only going for one day but then just don't buy the $20 addon pick the minimum you need and go on with your day as you travel.  You should be able to get by a day without data or texting or calling.  Choose the one that fits your needs the most.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

tehowennathe

@RobertQc wrote:

@tehowennathe wrote:

@tehowennatheAgreed. It sure would. Not only should they do a 1 day add-on, they should do extended as well, 30 day or plans that include it. There are quite a few snow birds I know that would love to sign up if they had longer roaming packages. Buying one every 10 days is not only a hassle but very expensive.

That's why my mom left and went to parent company Telus. We have family in US and she is retired and will often visit them.  She found that visiting and $20 for lets say 2 weeks made it more expensive then her monthly plan.

tehowennathe

I live in Montreal and sometimes go to Burlington Vermont for the day on weekends and have to make the choice pay $20 even if it's just one day or go without phone for day. I'm sure I'm not alone in people making that choice. The $20 is perfect when I visit family for more then 2 days. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@tehowennathe wrote:

@tehowennatheAgreed. It sure would. More choices are fully welcome by me. But I know.. I know... third tier bottom barrel less for less kind of thing. As they say- "take it for what it is not what you want it to be"... Sigh. Not only should they do a 1 day add-on, they should do extended as well, 30 day and plans that include it. There are quite a few snow birds I know that would love to sign up if they had longer roaming packages. Buying one every 10 days is not only a hassle but very expensive.

Need Help? Let's chat.