cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth the cheap cost?

excam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Thinking of switching from Koodo to PM (from what I've heard it's the same network so Internet and whatnot will be just as fast, correct?) but I'm worried about reviews I've read. I've seen many people saying the customer service is so awful it's not worth the cheap plans.
Now, if I generally don't need much customer service from my phone provider, will PM be okay?

Current PM customers, do you run into many billing problems/loss of service/anything that requires much customer service (excluding technical support for the device itself)?
7 REPLIES 7

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

i @excam, I had just switched to Public Mobile for less than one month, and the service is good.  I noted many people had the activation and autopay issue, and I helped many friends to move to Public Mobile.  As long as you follow one standard procedure which is working, you will not have any hassle. 

Refer to my other threads about Koodo porting here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Porting-from-Koodo-successful-for-arou...

Martin
Legend
Legend
Luddite,

I like your description of Public Mobile "as a Community ...".

PM is most definitely not cheap! Are you aware that, each month, top rankers, who are not grandfathered, earn $6?

With respect to aggro being related to aggression and football, pfffffft. Funny alien!

@Martin wrote:
Luddite,

I know Bob and Sue well enough to say that they will be deeply offended by the use of "aggro". It is banned by all believers. May I suggest "aggravation", instead?

@Martin You may and I shall endeavour to please Bob, Sue, and Billie Bob too. Was not aware they were into football; viz. 

aggro
noun;

1 aggressive behaviour usually in the context of football related disorder.

But seriously, have we ever suggested PM was cheap? I prefer to think of us as a Community dedicated to the never ending search for the best value cellular provider.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Luddite,

I know Bob and Sue well enough to say that they will be deeply offended by the use of "aggro". It is banned by all believers. May I suggest "aggravation", instead?

@excam Some reading for you to mull over:        Multiple charge issue                    We’re sorry, we’re experiencing some issues                    Risk Free Activation - costs $10                     Porting from Koodo - successful for around 15 min....             .

I was with Telus and had some concerns as you do. I had no problems activating but did experience a billing glitch moving from a 30 to 90 day plan. It was completely resolved in a week. I have had no service interruptions since joining about 3 months ago.

As you are coming from Koodo, do not use your Koodo email address when creating your PM account, and do not port your Koodo number until your PM account is up and running. You must keep your Koodo account paid up until the transfer is completed, and make a note of your Koodo account number, your PM account and temporary phone numbers in case you get stuck and need to email PM.

Forgot to add that PM is well worth any hassle I have observed; especially as my favourite service of 90 days Prov wide calling, Canada wide text, and 1 GB data (ATTENTION: data plan is over 90 days) with autopay works out to just $28/30 days. I use either CiCi mobile, or fongo.com VOIP, for the bit of NA long distance I need. On next renewal I will switch to International text for the few times I need it to save the aggro of emailing when a text will do.

You should also be aware that PM offers no roaming at any price, so when you leave Canada you must get a local SIM to have any cellular service.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@excam wrote:
Thinking of switching from Koodo to PM (from what I've heard it's the same network so Internet and whatnot will be just as fast, correct?) but I'm worried about reviews I've read. I've seen many people saying the customer service is so awful it's not worth the cheap plans.
Now, if I generally don't need much customer service from my phone provider, will PM be okay?

Current PM customers, do you run into many billing problems/loss of service/anything that requires much customer service (excluding technical support for the device itself)?

@excam, really depends on what plan you currently have with Koodo Mobile. Say you got the unlimited Canada-wide talk, text and 1 GB data promo they had earlier this year for $45 and you don't use more than 1 GB of data, I would stick with Koodo Mobile because that's a really good deal as it stands.

However, if your current plan costs you more than it should and/or you're using more data than what your plan has and you don't want to pay an arm and a leg, then go ahead, try out Public Mobile. I personally recommend you to create a new number with the service, make sure everything is good before porting your number. Be sure to also use a different email address from your Koodo Mobile account to ensure that there are no screwups.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

I've been a customer since September 2013, which allows me to call customer assistance, if I wish.

In terms of signal, I receive LTE, and have never had a dropped or choppy call. The reason is that PM is wholly owned, like Koodo, by Telus, and all 3 use the same frequencies and signal strength.

As far as problems, I was doubled billed about a year ago. I was contacted within 3 calendar days by phone, the additional charge was reversed, and I was offered a goodwill gesture, which I accepted. The double billing occurred because I had auto-pay enabled, and $60 in my positive credit balance, both of which the billing system charged/deducted. Since then, I keep auto-pay disabled, and "manualy" put sufficient funds into my account from my credit card on file.

Other than the above, I've had no further problems, and regard myself as a very satisfied customer.

Cheers.
Need Help? Let's chat.