cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering how 4GB/$40 per month folks are doing

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Everyone,

I joined PM from Rogers back in October last year (my wife and daughter moved their numbers from Rogers to PM too).

Over six months later, we're all still very happy with the service and it was the best move we've made in wireless service ever.  (We've saved a ton of money too).

Roaming service was introduced and worked perfectly when we went to the USA.

While specific locations may be better or worse coverage wise - we've found PM to be reliable and dependable where we live - and an absolutely great value. 

Just wondering if others who moved to PM last year are as happy as we are?

PHT

85 REPLIES 85

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Vickel wrote:
Service has been great!

On thing is paying for multiple phones up front is going to hit the wallet hard
But it will be worth it in the end

I just switched to PM and used to be with Freedom paying about $160/month for 2 lines (due to WindTab, some overage charges and taxes). Now that our monthly bill is expected to go down to about $74/month for both lines, I've been setting aside $86/month towards the purchase of our next phones. I think at that rate, within 15 or so months, we'll both be able to buy new unlocked phones. Also I just heard that Amazon actually sells unlocked phones in Canada now, so intrigued by that, and there's always the option of getting a Google Nexus for example.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

i honestly can't understand how some consumers require such large mounts of cellular data!  Even when I use Spotify in the car, I'm still not approaching my data cap, and I don't currently use the 'offline' option.

Two words: streaming video.  I don't watch much video content when I'm out and about, but I know people that are WILD for Instagram/Snapchat/Facebook videos, and some of my friends are super into sharing Youtube videos with each other when out and about too.  Shrug, not my bag, but I can understand the need for that much data for sure.

For my total communications (personal), I spend a combined $95 + taxes a month.

i have unlimited, decent speed (30 GB/s) cable internet, including the modem rental, so all data at home is WiFi or Ethernet cabling.  Then I have my cellular here with Public Mobile.

i honestly can't understand how some consumers require such large mounts of cellular data!  Even when I use Spotify in the car, I'm still not approaching my data cap, and I don't currently use the 'offline' option.

Jonavin

In reality, if you can use 12GB in a month, PM probably isn't a carrier for you. 

ChopstickHero

@hopetindall wrote:
I've used a lot of data, but never, ever, that much! 
🙂

Easy to do if you binge watch Netflix (hint: don't!)

hopetindall

@ChopstickHero Wrote

It's a hard lesson to learn when you blow through 12 GB in 30 days, and have nothing left for 31-90.

Hi 

Wow - 12 GB in 30 days.

I've used a lot of data, but never, ever, that much! 

🙂

WearySky

@stonechucker wrote:

@ChopstickHero Wrote

It's a hard lesson to learn when you blow through 12 GB in 30 days, and have nothing left for 31-90.

That's when early activation comes in handy.  It's a mistake you're only going to make once, hopefully 🙂

@ChopstickHero Wrote

One of the questions I get the most from my friends interested in switching over to PM is whether or not the 90 day period is considered 3 separate months when calculating data usage. I like the idea that my promo deal is 12GB over 90 days....sounds more impressive than 4GB/month. haha

the problem I find is explaining it's the entire 90 day term.  Some people just don't understand how the plans are set for 10. Ep, or 90 days, and assume their data block is for every "month".

ChopstickHero

@SF2278 wrote:

@hopetindall wrote:

@Jonavin wrote:

I love the flexibility of the 90 day plans. 

Hi @Jonavin

I find this is useful too.

I had an especially large month of data usage and being able to average over the three months is great!

PHT

^^^^^^ THIS!

I couldn't agree more. My data needs fluctuate month to month and I love that I can "bank" data over 3 months and know that if I have a particularly light data month, I have extra to spare in the other months in my cycle and vice versa.  Just brilliant!

One of the questions I get the most from my friends interested in switching over to PM is whether or not the 90 day period is considered 3 separate months when calculating data usage. I like the idea that my promo deal is 12GB over 90 days....sounds more impressive than 4GB/month. haha

SF2278
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@hopetindall wrote:

@Jonavin wrote:

Hi @Jonavin

I had an especially large month of data usage and being able to average over the three months is great!

PHT

^^^^^^ THIS!

I couldn't agree more. My data needs fluctuate month to month and I love that I can "bank" data over 3 months and know that if I have a particularly light data month, I have extra to spare in the other months in my cycle and vice versa.  Just brilliant!

The problem I find with VirginMobile, is the thing you like about them.  The member benefits.  Other than the starbuck's offer,  there is nothing I would use, as those retailers either don't interest me, or are not within a suitable driving distance of where I am.

i have the same problem with other loyalty offers from Airmiles and the like.  Where I live and work, very few options to partake in the point/money collection and redemption process due to lack of retailers participating in the offers.  When Canadian Tire took over Mark's, airmiles went away, and was replaced by the Options program, which I didn't and still don't subscribe to.

The best form of loyalty rewards / offers is lower prices or credit towards the product or service I'm paying for, and that's why I love Public Mobile.

david_l

@ChopstickHero wrote:

@david_l wrote:

The price is right so I'm happy about that. I haven't lost service on payment... yet. I realized it's a huge pain that there's no international roaming option and the delayed invoices that require me to spend time emailing customer support to request one done up manually is very annoying. I might switch in the next few months because of these two things. The lower price is not really worth it to me. I don't even use the 4gb per month I'm finding.

For the very, very seldom and minor inconvenience of having to email/msg PM customer support, I still rather take the cheaper option than what the competition is offering.

The PM team has done a good job since last fall catching up on the huge backlog of issues. Kudos to them.

That was my initial thought as well. However, I noticed that Virgin Mobile has a $65/month plan ($55 for 6 months) for 3GB of data/month. Obviously, it's not nowhere as cheap as PM's plan. However, 3GB of data per month is  good enough for me, and they have international roaming options, unlimited Canada-wide calling, and lots of discounts to retailers and food I go to regularly that would mostly if not completely make up for the difference in price. It definitely depends on your individual situation. 

hopetindall

@stonechucker wrote:

I'm two weeks into my latest 90 day cycle.  I'm at 498.4 mb used.  At this rate, I may have about 10 GB remaining for the last 30 days.

lol @stonechucker

While I've only maxed out my data bucket once in the last 6 years; it's nice to not have to worry about a big bill coming though.

I like having data left, just in case I want to stream Netflix!

PHT

While I've only maxed out my data bucket once in the last 6 years; it's nice to

I'm two weeks into my latest 90 day cycle.  I'm at 498.4 mb used.  At this rate, I may have about 10 GB remaining for the last 30 days.

hopetindall

@Jonavin wrote:

Hi @Jonavin

PHT

Jonavin

I love the flexibility of the 90 day plans. At the last month I usually have way more data than I need and I just use it like it's unlimited.  Previously I would seek out 6GB+ plans because some months I would use 8GB. On a 90 day plan it's not a problem. I usually only use 2GB a month and end up with a lot for those months where I'm out a lot and need to use more.

DmcDohko

I couldn't have been happier to be honest. In a few months I'll be celebrating my first year with PM and since I started with my 4gb/month $40 plan I've had nothing but impeccable service from Niagara Falls to Toronto, great speeds, great competitive price and no issues ever - the service really hasn't skipped a beat!

Let's not be fooled, the prices are not what they are in Europe for example (more specifically Italy) where you can get an even better plan with most providers and they keep getting better every year (for example unlimited minutes + 5gb + 500text a month for 9 euro), however, for us canadians they are great and I have several friends here that are quite envious of my PM plan. Can't wait for PM to bring back the 4gb/$40 plan open to all so that I can refer all those friends to join this wonderful community!

WearySky

ChopstickHero wrote: 

The PM team has done a good job since last fall catching up on the huge backlog of issues. Kudos to them.

They were caught up within a couple weeks.  But if the current promo has shown us anything, it's that the activation system is still *nowhere* near ready for another big promotion.

ChopstickHero

@david_l wrote:

The price is right so I'm happy about that. I haven't lost service on payment... yet. I realized it's a huge pain that there's no international roaming option and the delayed invoices that require me to spend time emailing customer support to request one done up manually is very annoying. I might switch in the next few months because of these two things. The lower price is not really worth it to me. I don't even use the 4gb per month I'm finding.

For the very, very seldom and minor inconvenience of having to email/msg PM customer support, I still rather take the cheaper option than what the competition is offering.

david_l

WearySky

@jpar I stand corrected - looks like they're offering the promo again, but now only for Freedom Mobile customers to port in: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/sameprice-largestnetwork?utm_source=google&utm_medium=RFDblog&utm_camp...

Having said that, I don't see what's stopping people from signing up for Freedom today, and then porting their number into Public Mobile tomorrow.

ChopstickHero

@WearySky wrote:

@jpar wrote:

I'd love to see another promo like that 12 GB / $120 / 90 days one Smiley Very Happy

You're not alone.  But I wouldn't hold your breath.  Based on the recent promo where they offered the same plan for $165, it's unlikely that the $120 promo is ever coming back.

That means I'll have to stay on PM forever. Man Very Happy

WearySky

@jpar wrote:

I'd love to see another promo like that 12 GB / $120 / 90 days one Smiley Very Happy

You're not alone.  But I wouldn't hold your breath.  Based on the recent promo where they offered the same plan for $165, it's unlikely that the $120 promo is ever coming back.

jpar

@ChopstickHero wrote:

@WearySky wrote:

Unlikely to have one as good as last fall, no.  But if the current PM options are cheaper than their existing plans, why not switch now?  It's not like PM excludes existing customers from switching over to promo plans.

That's what I suggested too: switch now to PM, get on a promo later.

Gotta build up some of my referral rewards!

mclyin

Still very happy with the services. 

Honestly have thought  about switch to Koodo Quebec plan but in the end decided to stay, 4Gb/30 days is more then enough for now. It would be nice to have more data per month on my disposal but not at that point yet.

ChopstickHero

@WearySky wrote:

Unlikely to have one as good as last fall, no.  But if the current PM options are cheaper than their existing plans, why not switch now?  It's not like PM excludes existing customers from switching over to promo plans.

That's what I suggested too: switch now to PM, get on a promo later.

Gotta build up some of my referral rewards!

WearySky

@ChopstickHero wrote:

A few friends have been itching to switch over to PM, but are waiting for a promo deal like last fall. Any chances it may happen again?

ChopstickHero

A few friends have been itching to switch over to PM, but are waiting for a promo deal like last fall. Any chances it may happen again?

Adrian03

Strong competition = better prices for consumers. 

I totally agreed.

Regards,

Adrian.

Shaw just bought some more spectrum for wind. Has to be approved, but heres the link. Looks like a big push

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/shaw-to-sell-viawest-unit-to-peak-10-for-23-billi...

Edit: @WearySky sorry, just noticed i copied you bud!Cat Embarassed

Need Help? Let's chat.