cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With Fongo and PM, can I have 2 telephone numbers?

BAL
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi everybody, when I opened my account, I was given a temporary number with a 10 days of voice and text. Today, I bought a 1 GB of data (just to start). I have downloaded Fongo to use VoIP, which also give you a telephone number. I assume that my temporary phone number will expire when my 10 days' service expires too. Am I correct?

For the continuity of my account, how it works? Do I simply change my plan for data only during my 10 days' plan? I just want to do it right. Thank you.  

11 REPLIES 11

As much as I'd like to believe that Google will pull a bunny out of its hat, it all sounds unrealistic right now. The closest thing that we have to Project Fi (and probably the closest we'll get to it for quite a while) is Sugar Mobile - which is way too expensive anyway.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @7789849803!

I agree, the fongo app is quite good now.  Sure keeps things simple and nice to support the folks who are bringing us free calls.  

I dream that Project Fi will be here soon.  I don't see any hope for smaller players though... national shame indeed.  

@imm1304 Thank you for the clarification. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

However, I wanted to support Fongo, so I purchased an add-on for $6 or so that removed the ads. To me, the Fongo app offers enough functionality for me to prefer using it over the stock dialler (there's a lot more control over voice codecs, microphone gain, echo cancellation, call setup specifics, etc).

It really is a matter of huge national shame for all of us that the big 3 have not opened up their networks for Data + VoIP carriers similar to the various ones that are offered in the US (Google's Project Fi being one of them).

@BAL Perfect, sorry for the redundant message. Glad you are on top of the changes needed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

imm1304

Hey @BAL,

You simply sign into selfserve and change your plan.  You will get 2 options:  make the change now or make the change on the next renewal date automatically.  

Choose to change to the data-only plan immediately and you will give up whatever days are remaining on your current 10-day plan.  Choose to change on next renewal date and set up auto-pay or top up your account before your next payment date.  

Both of these options will lead you to a data-only plan of your choice without any service disruptions.

imm1304

A long list of Sony Xperia phones I have used have the VoIP settings option in Call settings.. they are all android.  They usually appear as SIP or Internet Call Settings in Samsung up until the S5 that I had access to.

I used fongo more frequently when I spent a month away twice a year for a while... that was around 4 years ago.

They were charging a fee to give away their settings for the reason that they either sell their own VoIP device or push ads via their fongo official app.. both of these revenue streams would be cut off by giving away the settings.  

I am not in touch with Fongo in the recent past.  

BAL
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

No, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly what I meant. I don't want to have a plan with add-ons only. That would be illogical and expensive of course. What I was saying is that after the 10 day plan, I want to go to a data only plan. I bought the 1 GB add-on because currently, I have only voice and text. I wanted to download few apps, including Fongo, so that is why I bought the add-on. My question was how to finish my current plan and move toward a plan with data only, but without any disruptions. I thank everybody for their replies to my question.

@imm1304 wrote:

Your Fongo I believe can be set up in the stock dialer app at least in Andorid I know from experience.  Fongo charges a one time fee to provide you the settings that you can enter in your phone's default dialer app settings so that you will not need the fongo app running for calls.  

These are both news to me! The only reference I could find to your first claim of integration with the stock Android dialer was backed up here in a post from way back in 2013: https://support.fongo.com/entries/22890338-Have-Fongo-launch-as-native-dailer-Android-

However, I have checked on both the phones I currently own, and the option appears on neither phone. I even found the following post complaining about the lack of this setting: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-fongo-com-talk-freely-world-free-mobile-phone-service-1139985/...

As for Fongo charging to provide settings, there's two problems with this claim: I don't know why a software company that charges for its service would charge people to give settings to be able to use the app with their phone. Secondly, if no such setting exists in the first place (there's no menu in Android for it, neither is it within the Fongo app), how are they able to charge for it?

@imm1304 Please provide more information in support of both your claims.

I say again; data will stop working when your 10 day plan reaches its expiry date. You cannot have a plan that only has an Add-on; a valid plan must have at least one of calling, texting, or data. You can however have a plan with data plus an data Add-on as I do. Besides data add-on is more expensive in the long run than buying a data only plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

imm1304

When you swtich over to a data-only plan, you will continue to keep the current phone number which is linked to your account.  It will simply not work for for calls and texts or voicemail.  

Your Fongo I believe can be set up in the stock dialer app at least in Andorid I know from experience.  Fongo charges a one time fee to provide you the settings that you can enter in your phone's default dialer app settings so that you will not need the fongo app running for calls.  This is also an option if you are planning to use fongo long term.  Otherwise the free fongo app works fine. 

imm1304

Hi @BAL!

After your 10-day plan expires, you have 90 days to select a new plan or renew the same plan and pay.  On the 91st day, this account will automatically be deactivated permanently.

You can switch to the data-only plan of your choice from the self-serve and choose the option to change to this plan on your next renewal date.  As long as you maintain active account, your 1GB data add-on won't expire until used up.  

Need Help? Let's chat.