cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish PM had roll over data

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I sometimes wish PM had roll over data. I have 8.5 GB data and some months u end up having 1GB left over while some other months 500mb left over. Would be good if unused data rolled over.

Some people who have my plan 8.5GB data with Unlimited talk and text plus usage in US and 2GB roaming data, may not need 8.5 GB. They have the discontinued plan because they visit US often. Their data goes unused and is lost. I can see roll over data plans do well for people who don't use all their plans data. It's an alternative to unlimited if PM doesn't want Unlimited plans.

21 REPLIES 21

tehowennathe

@JC29 wrote:

I have had experiences with service providers all over the world and there is only one thing that I have noticed ... In countries where competition for data users are the fiercest, they have data rollover policies.

So unless we have fierce carrier competition here in Canada, I don't see Data Rollover being implemented anytime soon.

That being said, I am actually quite contented with PM as of now as it has served its purpose (dare I say niche).  But of course, better competiton=better deals for us and I would welcome that anytime.

*** I find the $30 - 1GB a little stiff for my blood though.  PM should think about lowering that, to at least something like $20 at the most.

I agree with PM needing fierce competition. In some provinces there are regional prepaid carriers who have better priced plans but don't have the same rewards as PM. I really want to see newcomer DotMobile and their plans when they launch next year. I been following their progress since they where first announced a while back. They are trying to do things yet to be done in the Canadian prepaid market. Hopefully when their launch comes it will make PM do things differently. Until then we can only be hopeful for roll over data. DotMobile upon launch will be one of the few prepaid carriers in Canada with roll over data. Other I know is Fizz Mobile in QC. I'd switch to Fizz Mobile but would lose out on rewards. Will wait and see what DotMobile has to offer next year

JC29
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have had experiences with service providers all over the world and there is only one thing that I have noticed ... In countries where competition for data users are the fiercest, they have data rollover policies.

So unless we have fierce carrier competition here in Canada, I don't see Data Rollover being implemented anytime soon.

That being said, I am actually quite contented with PM as of now as it has served its purpose (dare I say niche).  But of course, better competiton=better deals for us and I would welcome that anytime.

*** I find the $30 - 1GB a little stiff for my blood though.  PM should think about lowering that, to at least something like $20 at the most.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if we're wishing for roll over anything...I'd wish for rollover unused minutes of limited minute plans. Rollover unused texts of the old $10 plan. And yes rollover unused data left in the bucket.

It just always seems so unfair. We pay for it. We should keep it. The antique bulletin board sites of old used to do that. You paid for time connected to them. Unused time rolled over staying in your bucket.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

The direct competitors Chatr and Lucky Mobile have both implemented unlimited data but that has not had any effect over here.  I don't know what it will take to bring augmented data to Public Mobile.  

Sadly, it could take a certain number of subscriber losses to accomplish that.

And even of they do they will force it to new customers only and not to current customers or they will do one of those old tactics : "Promotion applies only when porting from X company" just like old times

@MoreYummy wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ zhadj030 wrote:

... We will await What Dave mentionned about "gifts "for tomorrow.

Hoping for another 1GB or more bonus data.

many wants one too. hah

I hope it is not one of those one time consumable things because it  can really be said as worthless. Unless we are talking about 3+GB free on a monthly basis, even if limited to 2 years especially with most big three and freedom offering free data add-ons (up to 5GB ) or some permanantly while the market (like the rest of the planet)  is moving toward unlimited data

@will13am wrote:

The direct competitors Chatr and Lucky Mobile have both implemented unlimited data but that has not had any effect over here.  I don't know what it will take to bring augmented data to Public Mobile.  

Sadly, it could take a certain number of subscriber losses to accomplish that.

@MoreYummy wrote:

@popping wrote:

@zhadj030 wrote:

many wants one too. hah

It will be worth it Smiley Wink

@popping wrote:

@zhadj030 wrote:

many wants one too. hah

tehowennathe

@GinYVR wrote:

@zhadj030There are plenty of MNVO, it is just the current Canadian wholesale rate is high so they are niche market (and mostly Rogers) eg Zoomer, Speakout, PetroCanada.

Heck this brand is run like a MVNO. The billing software is customized with an off the shelf software and no support only via this forum.

Yes but not many are independently owned. Most MVNO are owned by Bell, Telus and Rogers. Many share the same exact website and plans. Zoomer and Primus have the exact same website just different logos.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zhadj030 wrote:

@zhadj030There are plenty of MNVO, it is just the current Canadian wholesale rate is high so they are niche market (and mostly Rogers) eg Zoomer, Speakout, PetroCanada.

Heck this brand is run like a MVNO. The billing software is customized with an off the shelf software and no support only via this forum.

tehowennathe

@srlawren wrote:

@tehowennathe wrote:

Would be PM's next biggest competition. 

@tehowennathe ... in Toronto.  There's more to the country than Toronto (sorry to tell all you Torontonians).

@tehowennathe wrote:

I seen on their website they won't just use one carrier but try and get agreements for use on multiple carriers. 

@tehowennathe is "try" the operative word there?  Do they have any agreements already?  I would try not to get too excited until they do, IMHO.

@tehowennathe wrote:

Only time will tell if the new carrier next year forces PM to lower their plans and add ons

@tehowennathe unless/until DotMobile is nationwide, I don't see it having a dent.  There are already province-specific deals better than what PM offers (Fizz/Videotron in QC for example), yet PM offers the same plans nationwide--to the benefit of those of us in the "other" provinces, and the detriment of those in the "lucky" provinces with actual competition.  I wouldn't hold my breath on DotMobile having a noticeable effect any time soon, IMHO.

I'm from Montreal and DotMobile from what I understand will be a Nationwide online carrier similar to PM. They will operate on a different kind of prepaid model. It's not clear yet what features the network will have 

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

I am really waiting for the implementation of MVNO, they will bring some light into the dark tunnel of canadian wireless lack of competition. PM has not been competetive what so ever in the last year and half, other than a serious real competitor not owned by the big three unfortunatly there will be no improvement . We will await What Dave mentionned about "gifts "for tomorrow.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tehowennathe wrote:

Would be PM's next biggest competition. 

@tehowennathe ... in Toronto.  There's more to the country than Toronto (sorry to tell all you Torontonians).

@tehowennathe wrote:

I seen on their website they won't just use one carrier but try and get agreements for use on multiple carriers. 

@tehowennathe is "try" the operative word there?  Do they have any agreements already?  I would try not to get too excited until they do, IMHO.

@tehowennathe wrote:

Only time will tell if the new carrier next year forces PM to lower their plans and add ons

@tehowennathe unless/until DotMobile is nationwide, I don't see it having a dent.  There are already province-specific deals better than what PM offers (Fizz/Videotron in QC for example), yet PM offers the same plans nationwide--to the benefit of those of us in the "other" provinces, and the detriment of those in the "lucky" provinces with actual competition.  I wouldn't hold my breath on DotMobile having a noticeable effect any time soon, IMHO.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

tehowennathe

@totalUser wrote:

Oh If Add-Ons were cheaper... People wood buy them like socks.

This is why I'm waiting to see what new carrier DotMobile will price their data at when they launch next year. Base plan $10 unlimited talk and text. That is from what I seen will also come with US roaming. Then you buy as much data you may need. Buy less one month or buy more another. Would be PM's next biggest competition. I seen on their website they won't just use one carrier but try and get agreements for use on multiple carriers. Only time will tell if the new carrier next year forces PM to lower their plans and add ons

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Oh If Add-Ons were cheaper... People wood buy them like socks.

tehowennathe

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Actually I just searched it and Xploremobile in MB offers it too. 2GB / $35 and 7GB / $55, not bad I guess. Still concerned about the extra cost as I like my low bill.

Also just checked and Fizz Mobile in QC also offers roll over data. 

I am interested to see what DotMobile does as from what I seen on their website beyond unlimited data roll over all plans will come with US roaming. I seen that you start with the $10 unlimited talk and text plan and each month buy as much data as you need. 

Actually I just searched it and Xploremobile in MB offers it too. 2GB / $35 and 7GB / $55, not bad I guess. Still concerned about the extra cost as I like my low bill. Manitoba only!

tehowennathe

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Sure but at what price? Do other carriers have roll-over data?

New carrier DotMobile that is Toronto based and launching next year will have unlimited data roll over. As far as I know when they launch they would be the only to offer. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Sure but at what price? Do other carriers have roll-over data?

Need Help? Let's chat.