cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind versus PM

peosteve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thought I'd do a comparison between Wind and Public Mobile, to see if it was worth switching.  This was all done at one location, in my condo around Bathurst and Centre in Thornhill.  The differences are staggering...

In case other people are considering switching, I thought I'd post the results...keep in mind, this is only one location at one snapshot in time, but I think the results speak for themselves...

So, after doing this little comparison on 10-day plan, suffice it to say that I switched to the $40/month plan.  I'm with PM now!

Wind versus PM

17 REPLIES 17

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Per post 🤑

talkalot

What are you on the family plan here at PM or do you get paid per post. LMAO!!!:)

Rockdaddy22
You're dealing with a top tier network, definitely shouldn't encounter to much spotiness. PM is in a whole different league than Wind.

peosteve

@daredogg

I'm not so familiar with the tech side of cell towers.  When there is no signal at all in areas close to the GTA where there previously was signal, I don't know what the explanation for that is.  It's possible that Guelph might have better coverage, but I'd ask some fellow students for feedback.  So far, I haven't had any spotiness with PM, but it's only been a few days and I haven't been driving around much.  Time will tell, I suppose!

Good luck at school!

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

@peosteve 

Do you also suppose the Wind network is overloaded in the GTA? I'm in Guelph, and we have Wind here with a huge emphasis on university students. Looking at the cellular tower map, there are a lot within a 5 km radius of U of G. Never tried it, so I can't comment on the speeds, but there's a lot less people in Guelph than there is in your area.

Good imformative post, btw

Rockdaddy22
Wind is great, if having good signal isn't important.

cauchyabel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wind is PM with 1/10 signal pretty much.

peosteve

Yep, signal power in general was lacking on Wind.

mikuck23

Not  even talking about speed but building penettation for signal is no comparison

peosteve
@VK, same experience. I hope my experience with PM is the same after 2 years!@VK, same experience. I hope my experience with PM is the same after 2 years!

VK
Was with Wind for almost 2-3 years, most of times used to have reception issues and slow speeds. Doesn't work inside huge buildings and in home basement. Glad I switched to PM 2 years back and I'm very satisfied till date.

Also, Wind coverage is like zonal but PM works almost everywhere in Canada.

peosteve

@talkalot, by the way, I think you misunderstood my original message. I left Wind for PM. 

peosteve
Well, 4GB at 25Mb/sec is worth way more to me than 8GB of 1Mb/sec.

Wind was terribly annoying with respect to data speed. And besides data, I had so many issues with calls being dropped and not getting any signal at times around the GTA, which is ultimately why I left.

I've haven't been with Public Mobile for too long, but the internet is a pleasure to deal with...there is no comparison. Consider yourself warned if you switch to Wind!

talkalot
I am thinking the same thing. Wind has alot more data 5GB. 8GB at the price as the 2GB per month offered by Public Mobile. It is going to be difficult to stay with PM although I am pleased with the service.

Rockdaddy22
Welcome to the PM family 🙂

cauchyabel

Since PM is running on Telus network, so use it as a Telus line, and enjoy!

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Awesome. I knew how it would look like just from reading the title. 

Welcome to Public Mobile, enjoy that great speed. 

Need Help? Let's chat.