cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be any problems switching my phone to google pixel?

niferwee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone, 

I am planning to switch my phone to google Pixel. Does anyone know if the phone comes unlocked (I am planning to buy it off kijiji and they bought it off rogers). I heard that it comes unlocked but I heard other things too. Also will there be any problems, or anything I should know about when switching my phone on the public mobile network?

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

niferwee

Got the phone today. Everything works great. No problem with anything. Thank you so much for your help 🙂 

Get a Public Mobile SIM; if not yet activated the phone should say "No Service", if already activated a compatible unlocked phone will have full service immediately. A locked phone will say "enter Unlock Code" or "Incompatible SIM".

If you are going to buy a used phone, try an active SIM in it - the best test. Remember an unlocked phone will work with any carrier's SIM. Just use one different from the seller's.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@niferwee wrote:
They gave me the imei and I checked with rogers and online resources and it's not blacklisted. Is it possible for it to be blacklisted after I buy it from them ? They also gave me the receipt and info on their purchase from their Rogers account.

I believe if that IMEI is still tied to the original account, there is still the off chance that it can still be blacklisted through that account.  Not sure if it is totally true, I read in online forums about carriers blacklisting a device because of accounts being in arrears.  Anyway, it seems like this seller is pretty honest.  Those up to no good would not give you that kind of detail to follow up on the status of the phone.  At the end of the day, there has to be some element of mutual trust in order to satisfactorily complete a deal.  If your hunches are that everything is above board and armed with purchase receipt, you should be very save making the purchase.

niferwee

niferwee
They gave me the imei and I checked with rogers and online resources and it's not blacklisted. Is it possible for it to be blacklisted after I buy it from them ? They also gave me the receipt and info on their purchase from their Rogers account.

beerdude111
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

No, there won't be any problems. Google does not lock any of their phones (in Canada anyways, some exceptions apply in the US). I've owned Galaxy Nexus + 4 + 5 + and currently using 6 and bounced from provider to provider with each of those phones. The Pixel, like it's predecessors, is unlocked.

Our population simply isn't big enough for any money to be made by locking a single phone to a single provider. One of the few advantages of living in Canada I suppose.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

From this Reddit post, the pixel comes unlocked.  This was in reference to one sourced from Rogers.  If one major carrier sells it unlocked, it's very unlikely the others will sell it locked.

BTW, be careful with buying phones from kijiji.  In the GTA, it's quite the risk as there are so many horror stories about phones getting blacklisted shortly after purchase.

https://m.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/58gtad/are_canadian_carrier_pixels_unlocked

niferwee

That's what I assumed too but people say that the phone is unlocked regardless of where you buy it (only verizon locks it). 

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
If it was bought from Rogers, I assume it's locked to Rogers. Unless they've paid an unlocking fee.
Need Help? Let's chat.