cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a blocked caller's text messages show up in my self-serve usage history

coreyker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would like to know: if I block a contact on my iPhone, and that contact sends me an SMS message, will this get listed under the "usage history" in public mobile's self-serve portal?

I understand that public mobile will "attempt" to deliver a message to my phone regardless of whether a person is blocked (since they actually have no idea about who is or isn't blocked). But what happens from a technical perspective? Is there some sort of "handshake" in the SMS protocol that lets public mobile know if message was "delivered" or "rejected" by a phone? I suppose this distinction could make a difference as to whether a message will be recorded in the usage history? 

Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@coreyker 

Blocking SMS from someone does not prevemt the message from being received on your phone.  You are simply not notified of the event, and the message either automaticly deleted or moved to a different message category.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@coreyker 

when you block any phone number and that person try to call you is going direct to your voicemail,

and that block number  YES  is going to your "usage history" in your self-serve,

I would like to know answer to that one, too!

I guess spammers which call do not text so no way for me to know if SMS is blocked too.

coreyker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good idea. I guess experimentation is really the only way to know for sure.

I had a quick look on Wikipedia---the following is a relevant excerpt about the SMS protocol:

"Messages are sent to a short message service center (SMSC), which provides a "store and forward" mechanism. It attempts to send messages to the SMSC's recipients. If a recipient is not reachable, the SMSC queues the message for later retry. Some SMSCs also provide a "forward and forget" option where transmission is tried only once".

So I guess the result may depend on whether the blocking someone makes them "un-reachable" since the SMSC has access to that information (and can even retry sending the message later).

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@coreyker   First of all, I didn't try.  But from technical points of view,   the blocked number should appear as an item on your the Usage History considering that number is still routed by the network to your phone.

Try it.  block your love one number for a day and see   🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.