cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling

boounga
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I noticed all of the other carriers offer wifi calling and I'm wondering if public mobile is getting it? I have no cell service at my house (even tried expensive cell boosters). I'm going to be switching carriers soon if public mobile doesn't offer this!

Thanks,

Tyler

31 REPLIES 31

DavidMty33

I was finding a solution like you, I work in a remote area and only I have wifi on the housing and I am a prepaid Koodo customer and I don't have the WiFi calling feature I started to use Textnow and I can make calls for free 🙂

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

About 1 week ago Koodo enabled wifi calling on my LG G6 after an update to Android 8.

randolphbenoit

Ya I wonder if PM will get Wi-Fi calling also

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@shawnie_boywrote:

As someone mentioned previously, eventually VOLTE will have to be supported, but it is unlikely they will do it anytime soon. They have no reason to especially since they are focusing on 3g plans now and moving away from LTE. I agree based on current LTE pricing they should have VOLTE/wifi calling, but I don't think public mobile wants any LTE customers anymore. Has it been confirmed though that the 3g plans are really throttled LTE. 

Yes "3G speed" plans are actually LTE network capped to 3mbps. They should have called it LTE Lite. 

I highly doubt they will offer any extras on PM like WiFi calling. That will be saved for Koodo or Telus etc. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I know it was said already early on in this thread but I'll add my voice too - my office is in my basement and reception is pretty bad down here so I forward my phone to Fongo and it works quite well. Have been doing this since my Wind/Freedom days.

Even cooler is that if you use Android and know how to use the app "Tasker" you can automate the forwarding on and off.

aenglish86

Current carriers that offer wifi calling are as follows:

bell

rogers

telus 

freedom mobile

fido

and virgin mobile. 

Acekiller

would be great if we get it at some point!

mikedoloreans
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wifi calling is a must while running freedom mobile. I might have to check it out now.

colehagglund01

Telus too but only on postpaid accounts

Michael77
I personally liked Wifi Calling when I was with Freedom Mobile. I didn't have the connection issues. Their network is really overloaded at times. It got FM customers off their network. Perhaps when FM implements the new spectrum their network will get better. I am not sure if Telus has similar issues. But it does seem like certain people are having poor reception issues in their homes.

Michael77
When I was with Freedom Mobile I had Wifi calling.

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As someone mentioned previously, eventually VOLTE will have to be supported, but it is unlikely they will do it anytime soon. They have no reason to especially since they are focusing on 3g plans now and moving away from LTE. I agree based on current LTE pricing they should have VOLTE/wifi calling, but I don't think public mobile wants any LTE customers anymore. Has it been confirmed though that the 3g plans are really throttled LTE. 

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I dont think public mobile will get Wifi/VoLTE calling.

Fido/Rogers has it and even virgin is launching it soon.

randolphbenoit

For the most part here I get 1 bar (closest tower belongs to Bell). You need a signal for a cell booster to work (plan to get one soon). I have Eastlink internet so ton of WiFi signal so optional WiFi calling app be great idea. 

Be great public mobile has a service app for mobile for topping up account (need paypal payment option too), self serve, wifi calling/text and help support.

For now I use Messenger for text and wifi voice/ video chat which is free but all in one Public Mobile app be nice.

TheOldVR

@Chaos_Scorpio Problem is that WhatsApp does not accept or place calls to land lines...

Chaos_Scorpio

just use whatsapp ... free. has calling over wifi ... or any internet source. 

sounds gimicky to have an extra feature that other apps do it for free. 

Mobilevoip I think that's for window phone try this hoping that with solve the issue thx
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Does windows phone have hangout dialer or no ?
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

TheOldVR

@hnisha  any suggestions for a Windows Phone app?

Asking as you've mentioned Windows and I''ve not found one yet....

Thanks!

hnisha
There are a lot of apps fo Android, Windows, and Apple phone that allows you to call use wifi. I use text plus. However, for this app there is a charge per minute of use, but u can get money added to ur account by watching videos. So it's not bad.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Maybe in future they will offer something like that but think outside of box pm is a part of koodo and telus and telus is more like premium service I would still appreciate pm for providing lte and superior voice quality and visual voice mail services see other big brand they have affordable small branches like chatr and solo which are not even close to 10 % of pm services that we get

WiFi calling would get a great feature to see in future but as of now what we getting its more then enough I remember I used to pay 120 per month for almost services what I made getting for 38 dollars or even less

CalvinW

@boounga I was on Fido previously and they had both Wifi calling and VoLTE. Works quite splendidly, so hope they would implement it soon. The recent iOS update bought wifi calling to many carriers and I see that PM was updated to 28.0 but still no new features.

TheOldVR

Few thoughts to share....

First: Fongo is a great option, I tend to forward my calls to my Fongo app while I'm at my parent's house and it works great!

Next: Telus has WIFI calling and I have tested it on my new iPhone 6s. I have also tried it on Rogers. I find that WIFI calling through the carrier (for a lack of better words) sucks. Fongo is a much better WIFI calling solution.

In conclusion.... (for me) yay Fongo, boooooo carrier provided WIFI calling.

boounga

Telus has it, my girlfriend just enabled it the other day. Virgin mobiles website says they have it as well.

boounga

I use textme now, SMS is free and works great. Fongo texting costs money but they do provide e-911 service whereas textme now does not.

The problem with data calling is it cuts out like crazy on the highway.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@boounga Think you will be stuck with Rogers if Public Mobile does not reach your home. Telus/Bell share towers throughout most of Canada.

Check out this quote from @kav2001c :

"The cell tower map has FINALLY received an update (first in like a year I think)

For those tech types that are interested Man Very Happy

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html "

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

You can use something like Fongo on data, not sure if it works on wifi?

Yes, Fongo works on wifi.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I've heard Telus has it, but only for iPhones. (not sure if android is supported yet or not) The flanker brands (Koodo and public) dont have it yet I believe 

You can use something like Fongo on data, not sure if it works on wifi?

thapager
Rogers I believe is the only one that has it.
Need Help? Let's chat.