cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi vs Data

briggie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was of the understanding that if I used Wi-fi my Data would not be affected. I have Wi-fi at home yet almost all my data has be used. Why?

10 REPLIES 10

@wellis 

Congrats on your first solution! It's nice to get that first one under your belt. Keep up the good work you are a welcome addition to the community.

@briggie  give us good news, or come back if you need further assistance.

briggie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you everyone. I do use an Android phone, but there are lots of suggestions. I'm sure I can get to the bottom of this. Thanks for responding.

Android has Wifi Assist as well, it might also be called Smart Networking Switch (so smart that it steals your money, data, and you are unaware )

Download some data monitor app and set it to daily, while you are home all day, you can check and confirm which app actually used the data when you are home.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

for me, when I am home, I toggle mobile data off.  With some phones, you can set Mobile Data on the Quick Access menu on top easy access and easy checking if mobile data is on

@briggie  how much data you are talking about?  If you check the usage history, you are certain some of those entries showing there, you were at home with Wifi?

@briggie 

If you have an iPhone turn off wifi assist. Always check your phone settings when you return to an area with wifi. Sometimes your phone will not automatically reconnect to wifi.

If you only have a small allotment of data or even a large amount of data don’t expect technology to protect you. Let’s face it Apple does a lot of stuff that benefits the Telco.  So simply put leave your data OFF all the time and only turn it on when you want to use it. The latter is best suited for small allotments like the 250mb. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@briggie : The phone needs to be able to switch from mobile to wifi and back as needed. There are also settings to allow it to "failover" to mobile when out of that wifi range.

I would prefer to turn anything automatic like that off. Then connect to a wifi point. Then turn it off when not. Turn on mobile data when needed. Then off.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your settings.  Make sure you turn off data if wifi is weak.

wellis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you’re using an iPhone, I know that it will sometimes use your data when your Wi-Fi connection is weak. This is because it uses less phone battery. I believe you can prevent this by toggling on your data saving mode, as well as toggling on the option that stops your phone from running things in the background like updates through your cellular data. A simple fix would also be to just toggle off your cellular data while you’re at home. 

Need Help? Let's chat.