cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why public mobile?

Andrewslu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hello everyone. I am currently with Freedom Mobile and was looking to switch over to PM as I was fed up with the poor network quality and thought I had my chance when the last flash sale was going on in mid-August. Unfortunately the sale lasted maybe 24 hours (at least from the time I noticed the deal) and by the time I did any research Walmarts mobile desk had already closed so I couldn't get a sim card until the next day and by then the deal had finished. I still bought the sim card hoping the freedom switch promo would return in the fall and so I would be ready with the card in hand when it does return. However in the meantime time I started to look around and was wondering why PM? Especially when compared to Koodo. Plans are exactly the same price, (only cheaper if you go without Canada wide calling or texting) and only if you pay for 90 plans with PM. Considering both use the Telus network and so with no difference in network why would I pay more upfront for a 90 day plan (that limits your options to move around whenever you want) versus going month to month with Koodo. Considering how many people on the community forums praise PM I am just wondering if I am missing something or someone can give me a reason it worth waiting for a another freedom switch promo?
15 REPLIES 15

Andrewslu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No I have the OnePlus 3 and so sadly their is no band 66 support and so no lte for me. Which is also part of the reason that I considered switching to PM. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Andrewslu wrote:
Hello everyone. I am currently with Freedom Mobile and was looking to switch over to PM as I was fed up with the poor network quality and thought I had my chance when the last flash sale was going on in mid-August. Unfortunately the sale lasted maybe 24 hours (at least from the time I noticed the deal) and by the time I did any research Walmarts mobile desk had already closed so I couldn't get a sim card until the next day and by then the deal had finished. I still bought the sim card hoping the freedom switch promo would return in the fall and so I would be ready with the card in hand when it does return. However in the meantime time I started to look around and was wondering why PM? Especially when compared to Koodo. Plans are exactly the same price, (only cheaper if you go without Canada wide calling or texting) and only if you pay for 90 plans with PM. Considering both use the Telus network and so with no difference in network why would I pay more upfront for a 90 day plan (that limits your options to move around whenever you want) versus going month to month with Koodo. Considering how many people on the community forums praise PM I am just wondering if I am missing something or someone can give me a reason it worth waiting for a another freedom switch promo?

@Andrewslu have you try FM LTE network with the phone supported Band 66 ? You will be amazed the FM LTE network, I am happy so far, have it for a week now

floorit
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The advantage of the 90Day plan is you average your data out over the 90days. high month vs low month

floorit
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Coming from FM you will be paying more for US roaming. US roaming is cheaper on PM vs Koodo

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
PM emailed me a link to a survey asking me why I left, who I switched to and what would it take to get me back. I switched to Koodo because PM persuaded me to do so with the 5GB for $50 text! I told them I would come back to PM for 6GB LTE at $50 per month!

The best pro for Public Mobile - almost no SPAM from the company.

In my 16 months now, only maybe 3 surveys, which I did fill out... but otherwise only INFORMATION pertaining to account info (autopay, payment made, etc..)

SPAM txt messages from other companies were awful!

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Wafik wrote:

...you would still be able to grab a promo plan if one comes along.

...sorry, no guarantee of that. If you can bear waiting, I would hold tight and wait for a promo. Holiday season(s) are upon us. I echo others, that December 1-ish could be a prime time for PM to act.

Wafik

@Andrewslu you have been given all of the reasons here.  The reality is that since PM switched their plans a couple months ago the incentive to switch has greatly decreased.  I am one of the lucky few (or I guess probably many) who switched last fall when they had an awesome promo.  That promo combined with rewards and a very helpful community here are why I stay.  If I was looking to switch today, I would see no reason to swtich  with the current plans to be perfectly honest.

I will echo others when I say just wait and watch for a good promo and see if it makes sense to switch then.  I have said this a ton of times, but when everyones phone gets unlocked starting December 1st, I think PM would be insane to not offer some kind of a promo then.

Also, I feel your pain with Freedom.  I switched from Wind/Freedom when I came here.  If you cannot wait, you could always start service with PM if you can find a plan that is "good enough" and you would still be able to grab a promo plan if one comes along.

MEU_21

This question was posed in the past and you'll find your answer here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Pros-and-Cons-about-Public-Mobile/m-p/153...

Pros, no particular order:

1. No home zone, other than the province that you reside in.

2. Good LTE service and coverage

3. Competitive monthly plans (usually with promos)

4. Various rewards to reduce bills

5. You pick what's important for you - Plans include a good mix and options for voice, text, data.

Cons, in no particular order:

1. Limited customer service - meant for somewhat tech savvy customers

2. Very limited international countries that can be called (the main reason I have not ported other numbers, I use voip but others are not as tech savvy)

3. BYOD and probably no option to get discount on a device as part of a retention offer (haven't tried)

4. Not meant for heavy data users (better deals are available for data plans)

5. Provincial boundary issues (add-on required, locking onto towers in other provinces)

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just thought I would list a few pros for both:

Koodo - Pros: rewards, referral rewards, community, great network, promotions, retentions/loyalty department, phone discounts, stores and call centre (live support).

Public Mobile- Pros: rewards, referral rewards, community, great network, promotions, loyalty rewards, and moderators.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I agree with @NDesai the rewards a a great benifit  but:

• referals: since the new prices came into effect i have not been able to refer anyone since my friends have the same concerns you do.  Depending on how much data you need  <= 2gb there are some better options
  • community ( make more money collecting empties)
  • loyalty ( takes a long time to build)
  • autopay ( promo plan advertising  now seem to take autopay as a given so not really a  reward)

Yes there is no phone number to call in case of issues but the mods are great and when not overloaded provide timley and great service.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@passiveegg wrote:
Yes paying for 3 months to get the better price may be kind of bad, but if you did want to switch between it. I am sure a worker from pm would give you a refund for 2 months if you decide to leave.

I doubt very much that PM would refund 2 months of fees after a customer has used a full month. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much point for PM to be a prepaid service.

@passiveegg wrote:
I don't want to be biased so I'm just gonna say the negative thing first. the only main problem I have with pm is the fact of there is no customer service number. So you would have to write on the forums to receive help. Now for the positives. Public mobile first uses Telus Network so connection is a breeze, plus LTE data. Coming from freedom, I noticed such a huge difference in everything, especially since I go to Ryerson University, connection with freedom was horrible. Yes paying for 3 months to get the better price may be kind of bad, but if you did want to switch between it. I am sure a worker from pm would give you a refund for 2 months if you decide to leave.

Yes, you would need to post your issue here in the community, if it is some general questions or device releated questions, awesome community members are usually active and reply within a few mins. But for account related issues, if you directly reach out to the Moderator_Team, they usually get back to you within a few mins. 

And No, they do not give refunds for unused period. They might offer credits to your account occasionally if there was an issue appeared to be a problem from their end, but no refund on your payment method. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Basically, PM is the cost-saving service on the same premium network. Yes, the prices right now are not cheaper, but they used to be alot more attractive. The most underrated benefit on PM is Rewards. There are several rewards you can earn on PM that will bring plan cost down. The referral reward gives you an opportunity to bring your cost down to $0. I haven't seen any other carrier offering similar benefit.

So, if you don't like the current price including the 3G plans prices, just keep an eye out on the promotions page or in the Announcement section. 

passiveegg
I don't want to be biased so I'm just gonna say the negative thing first. the only main problem I have with pm is the fact of there is no customer service number. So you would have to write on the forums to receive help. Now for the positives. Public mobile first uses Telus Network so connection is a breeze, plus LTE data. Coming from freedom, I noticed such a huge difference in everything, especially since I go to Ryerson University, connection with freedom was horrible. Yes paying for 3 months to get the better price may be kind of bad, but if you did want to switch between it. I am sure a worker from pm would give you a refund for 2 months if you decide to leave.
Need Help? Let's chat.