cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no AutoPay bonus Data on Data-only plan?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

$30 ($28 with AutoPay) for 1GB Data seems like a rather awful deal.

Especially vs $23 (with AutoPay) for Unlimited Talk/Text plus 1GB Data.

Or vs $33 (with AutoPay) for Unlimited Talk/Text and 1.5GB Data.

Quite a premium to gain uncapped 4G LTE speed which could let you burn through your entire 1GB in maybe 10 minutes.

I suspect few (if any) people actually subscribe to this plan. Probably far fewer than the number of people who preferred to build their own plans with the calculator.

10 REPLIES 10

Fido offers the tablet only 3gb for $15....$10 for each 1gb afterwards. As much as I loathe fido it's a pretty good deal.

A friend from Singapore subscribes to a carrier called "circles life". Talk and Text and 20GB 4G, prepaid $18 per month. She pays an extra $5 to extend her "Unlimited Roaming" coverage to most of Asia, Phillipines, Australia, NZ, USA, Mexico, Canada - calls and texts and data from anywhere in the coverage zone to anywhere in the coverage zone, no restrictions. And an extra $20 per month when she wants more data (100GB 4G). She got some sort of promo which saves a few bucks. She laughed (and still laughs) uncontrollably when I showed her PM's best cellphone plans.

Needless to say I didn't interest her as a referral. In fact, her carrier has a better referral system which awards more credits and discounts - and even has some kind of "referral lottery" which gives big prizes (travel, vacations, $$$-$$$$, etc) to top performers.

And - what mystified me most - the circle company's marketing strongly emphasizes their promise that customer support is always available and always guaranteed within 30 seconds. Whoosh.

So basically a foreign plan which works in Canada (and half the world) better than any Canadian plan, $43 in Singapore dollars (which are roughly the same value as Canadian dollars) to get 100GB 4G.

I'm quite the opposite of a heavy mobile data user, but if I needed big mobile data then I'd start looking at options from outside Canada which can be used in Canada. The difference imposed by the Big Three is outrageous. $30/GB is a crime.

https://www.circles.life/sg/

I thought it odd they didn’t ditch that one data only plan or make it 3G to fit the rest of the offerings when they dumped the rest of the 4G plans. Must be some sort of logic to keeping it but not sure what it is. To me tge 4G TELUS Pay as you go Tablet plan is a far better deal. $5/month gives you 10 Mb of use (I know but better than $5 for no data just to hold the plan), then when you pass the 10 Mb limit it jumps to $10 now with up to 100 Mb, then to 1 Gb for $20, 3 Gb for $35 and 5 Gb for $50. When your month ends it resets to $5 and you start over.

So not counting the possibility of paying less than $30/month comparing to the PM data only plan, TELUS gives 1Gb of 4G data for $20 or 3Gb for $35. Not really any comparison.

AE_Collector

I'd thought it was a marketing instrument. To let PM claim it has full 4G LTE like all the big boys. Or (along with the $30 data add-on) to make the $40+ plans look like more attractive "big data" deals in comparison.

But it's a regulatory requirement? Where can confirm details?

@will13am 

I couldn't agree more. Not sure what our Federal Government is thinking other than getting themselves re-elected. You don't get to have free market competition instead of regulated service until you don't like the results and then run to the government to "fix it". I still maintain that most people complaining about prices in Canada have done no shopping around, they just want to sit on their couch complaining online for the government to come to their rescue. 

AE_Collector

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If my memory is correct, this rather terrible plan was added to satisfy regulation.  This is what happens When government intervenes in the marketplace.  There's no substitute for an informed consumer.  Don't rely on government to make up for a shortfall in knowledge.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So I pick the $25 plan because I got unlimited call ,text and 1G data with auto pay. 

@Korth wrote:

$30 ($28 with AutoPay) for 1GB Data seems like a rather awful deal.

Especially vs $23 (with AutoPay) for Unlimited Talk/Text plus 1GB Data.

Or vs $33 (with AutoPay) for Unlimited Talk/Text and 1.5GB Data.

Quite a premium to gain uncapped 4G LTE speed which could let you burn through your entire 1GB in maybe 10 minutes.

I suspect few (if any) people actually subscribe to this plan. Probably far fewer than the number of people who preferred to build their own plans with the calculator.

I agree that the pricing for this plan is terrible. However, I don't beleive that you're likley to see it replaced with anything better or a autopay data bonus added any time soon. My speculation would be that we're probably more likely to see the plan removed for the plan offerings.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

PM does not want subscribers on full LTE speed.

Couple of years ago, PM to Koodo migration offer was trying to move to those with the $120 12GB full LTE plan to Koodo.  

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

EDIT :

I see what you're talking about @Korth .

Maybe a question for Tiana?

Need Help? Let's chat.