cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my phone number is still under previous owner's name?

DCSY
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I register some loyal programs in some shops, sometimes their machines still pop out the phone number's previous (I assume) owner's name automatically.  I wonder how this works and how to correct this phone number under my name?  Thank a lot.

3 REPLIES 3

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @DCSY ,

Unless the stores this is being affected at are somehow all connected with one another (all have the same head office or parent company), I do not see an easy way to clear the information from the previous owner(s) of your phone number. 

I believe you would have to do this one by one by location if they are all un-associated.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@DCSY wrote:

When I register some loyal programs in some shops, sometimes their machines still pop out the phone number's previous (I assume) owner's name automatically.  I wonder how this works and how to correct this phone number under my name?  Thank a lot.

Good point. A lot of businesses have a base of information that the key number is your phone number. No doubt you have a recycled number. You will have to ask the retailer to create an account with your number and name. And they should delete the other account using your number. BUT often the local shop staff cannot make that happen. Can you get another number from PM or port a number under your ownership? And how can you tell if you are taking a recycled number? That sucks doesn't it? It is so important to not change phone numbers or email addresses as so many businesses use that for their base or as part of identifying yourself. I guess you can ask whose name is for your number to confirm if it needs to be changed at the vendors level. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@DCSY I suppose that you would correct it at each individuals stores loyalty system. Change the name in their system to your own. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.