cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my voicemail number out-of-province?

No
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My usage history shows out-of-province calls from my PM number to my voicemail. This seems odd. What to do?

29 REPLIES 29

@No wrote:

I think this topic has been hijacked. Getting a lot of notifications but only find off topic posts. Is this a numbers game to pump up the volume or what?

Not hijacking; more just chatting. Likely because you've marked it solved so, in theory, the banter is not interfering with a resolution. If you get tired of the notifications, you can "unsubscribe" to this topic.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Sanityisunrated

Your voicemail is usually a 778 number. It's not going to be the same number you currently have.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@No wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@No 

Thanks for the reply. There was a thread not long ago about the VAN where someone in AB had an SK VAN. Then another that had a different in-province VAN that didn't seem to work but used another one and it did. Which is partly why I was asking you for your area code and prefix.

The mods provided a "local" VAN for my area code that did not work. Happily this @Luddite post has a list of VAN by area code that contained an entry for my area code that did work. I changed my voicemail setting to it and now I am able to access my voicemail with a "local" call.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Access-Voicemail-with-1-Key-Invalid-MMI-Code/m-p/237896?advanced=false&collapse_discussion=true&filter=location&location=category:Public_Mobile_Community&q=voicemail%20area%20code&search_type=thread

Is that a different list from what srlawren linked to earlier in this thread?

What was on the Luddite list that wasn't on the srlawren list? (before I go off and compare them and figure out any differences 🙂 )

Glad you got it all figured though.

Edit: @No Ok I went through them. They're the same. srlawren had suggested that list earlier in the thread. Good on you to figure it out for yourself though.

No

@Anonymous wrote:

@No 

Thanks for the reply. There was a thread not long ago about the VAN where someone in AB had an SK VAN. Then another that had a different in-province VAN that didn't seem to work but used another one and it did. Which is partly why I was asking you for your area code and prefix.

The mods provided a "local" VAN for my area code that did not work. Happily this @Luddite post has a list of VAN by area code that contained an entry for my area code that did work. I changed my voicemail setting to it and now I am able to access my voicemail with a "local" call.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Access-Voicemail-with-1-Key-Invalid-MMI-Code/m-p/237896?advanced=false&collapse_discussion=true&filter=location&location=category:Public_Mobile_Community&q=voicemail%20area%20code&search_type=thread

Anonymous
Not applicable

@No wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@No 

I know this thread is 5 hours ago now but I'm still not clear on what happens when you call a "local" voicemail access number (VAN) (as provided earlier) just manually like calling anyone in the dialer. Open dialer, open dial pad, type 1xxxyyyzzzz. I have called a VAN across the country and it gets to my voicemail.

I had asked earlier too (not that you're required to answer me 🙂 ) about what area code and prefix your phone number is.

Another way to set a VAN is to "dial" *61*1xxxyyyzzzz*30# . This sets the no answer forward to the number and doesn't forward until 30 seconds. There's also busy forward and unreachable forward.

Thank you for your help with my VAN problem.

Dial VAN from my dialer results are the same as dialling 1+hold. My forwards are set to my network assigned VAN as described by your post.

Official reply from the mods is that a network assigned VAN may be out-of-province but will not be problematic in a province wide talk plan. It would be most helpful of someone with a province wide talk plan and out-of-province VAN can confirm this.

@No 

No

@Anonymous wrote:

@No 

I know this thread is 5 hours ago now but I'm still not clear on what happens when you call a "local" voicemail access number (VAN) (as provided earlier) just manually like calling anyone in the dialer. Open dialer, open dial pad, type 1xxxyyyzzzz. I have called a VAN across the country and it gets to my voicemail.

I had asked earlier too (not that you're required to answer me 🙂 ) about what area code and prefix your phone number is.

Another way to set a VAN is to "dial" *61*1xxxyyyzzzz*30# . This sets the no answer forward to the number and doesn't forward until 30 seconds. There's also busy forward and unreachable forward.

Thank you for your help with my VAN problem.

Dial VAN from my dialer results are the same as dialling 1+hold. My forwards are set to my network assigned VAN as described by your post.

Official reply from the mods is that a network assigned VAN may be out-of-province but will not be problematic in a province wide talk plan. It would be most helpful of someone with a province wide talk plan and out-of-province VAN can confirm this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@No wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself.

When I dial the 1 key, my dialer calls the number in the voicemail setting. The network populated voice mail number is out-of-province and connects. If I change the voice mail number to a home province one, the call cannot be completed as dial.

@No 

No

I think this topic has been hijacked. Getting a lot of notifications but only find off topic posts. Is this a numbers game to pump up the volume or what?

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I could round down but that would make my input worthless.

@will13am  *cough* yes, it's the rounding that would make your input worthless.... *cough*

Sorry, I couldn't resist--you set it up too perfectly.  

Where did I recently hear this thing about how two people can experience the same event differently? 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

I could round down but that would make my input worthless.

@will13am  *cough* yes, it's the rounding that would make your input worthless.... *cough*

Sorry, I couldn't resist--you set it up too perfectly.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@

@will13am wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

That is my 5c worth. 

@will13am is 2c adjusted for inflation? Robot LOL

No, it is round off.  We don't use pennies anymore.  I could round down but that would make my input worthless.  That could potentially hurt my morale and lead to other unintended consequences.  I chose to round up. 

@will13am, you could use a credit or debit card to pay that $0.02.  But then you'd have a service fee with it.   The nickel is much cheaper. 🙂

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

That is my 5c worth. 

No, it is round off.  We don't use pennies anymore.  I could round down but that would make my input worthless.  That could potentially hurt my morale and lead to other unintended consequences.  I chose to round up. 

No

@Lieux wrote:

I would write a message to the moderator just to let us know this problem and see what they can do for you.here..https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 and give them details of your problem. Waiting time is few hours to 2 days...patience...

Yes. Just getting started with communication with PM Mods.

@No  a écrit :

@sandpublic wrote:

What happens when you open your phone app and hold down the 1 key? Does it go to voicemail?

When I dial the 1 key, my dialer calls the number in the voicemail setting. The network populated voice mail number is out-of-province and connects. If I change the voice mail number to a home province one, the call cannot be completed as dial.

I would write a message to the moderator just to let us know this problem and see what they can do for you.here..https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 and give them details of your problem. Waiting time is few hours to 2 days...patience...

No

@sandpublic wrote:

What happens when you open your phone app and hold down the 1 key? Does it go to voicemail?

@Anonymous , yup... I do have an extra Y.  Autocorrect didn't work this time. lol

@No, I've just tested with my own phone, and when I look, it's not listed as a voicemail number in my phone, HOWEVER, under forwarding options, when my phone is busy, it will go to my designated voicemail number (+1226xxxyyyy), and if I don't answer, I actually have it go to a different number as my 'backup'.

I will note, the official voice mail number is a long distance call for me, but the backup number is a so-called local call.  Both, are listed as +1226xxxyyyy.

You can attempt taking the +1 out to see if that works.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@No wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Enter the phone as +1XXXYYYYZZZZ and you should be fine.  You can also try removing the phone number and letting it repopulate accordingly.

Should be fine but still no go dialling as described. Removed voice mail number but does not repopulate. Feels like grasping at straws.

No

@stonechucker wrote:

Enter the phone as +1XXXYYYYZZZZ and you should be fine.  You can also try removing the phone number and letting it repopulate accordingly.

Should be fine but still no go dialling as described. Removed voice mail number but does not repopulate. Feels like grasping at straws.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker 

You got an extra Y in there 🙂

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

That is my 5c worth. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@No, there are no "local calls" at Public Mobile.  Only Province-Wide, or Canada-Wide.  The number specified for your area code *may* still be a real long-distance code depending on the location of the 'local exchange' (the second set of 3 digits).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@No wrote: 

In my case, my auto updated voice mail number by PM network is definitely NOT based on the location of the PM phone connected. It is located on the other side of the country. Manually entering a "local call" voice mail number results in "Your call cannot be completed as dialled, call *611..." message when dialling 1.

What is your area code and prefix (don't post the last 4 digits)?

So you're saying that if you use your dialer and type in a "local" voicemail access number that it can't connect? Are you able to get in to your call forwarding/voicemail options in your dialer or phone?

No

@will13am wrote:

Unless the call forwarding feature is manually supplied with a phone number, the voice mail number should be auto updated by the network based on the location to which the phone is connected.  For best results, using defaults will ensure that voice mail is a "local call".  That is my 5c worth. 

In my case, my auto updated voice mail number by PM network is definitely NOT based on the location of the PM phone connected. It is located on the other side of the country. Manually entering a "local call" voice mail number results in "Your call cannot be completed as dialled, call *611..." message when dialling 1.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Unless the call forwarding feature is manually supplied with a phone number, the voice mail number should be auto updated by the network based on the location to which the phone is connected.  For best results, using defaults will ensure that voice mail is a "local call".  That is my 5c worth. 

srlawren

@No wrote:

Yes I am on a Canada Wide plan, with unlimited minutes but will my current voicemail number limit any future change to province wide coverage. Would rather get my ducks in a row before then.

@No no problem.  Just go into your phone app, settings, call settings, Voicemail, advanced, and edit your Voicemail number.  You can find the full list here, just pick one in your province:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/access-voice-mail-out-of-home...

No

@stonechucker wrote:

If you're on a Canada Wide plan, with unlimited minutes, that isn't a problem, however, it does seem strange.

I believe, folks in Nova Scotia may be calling to New Brunswick or the opposite.  There have been issues like this previously.

Yes I am on a Canada Wide plan, with unlimited minutes but will my current voicemail number limit any future change to province wide coverage. Would rather get my ducks in a row before then.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@No wrote:

My usage history shows out-of-province calls from my PM number to my voicemail. This seems odd. What to do?

Do you have a limited plan for your calls with province only? If this a case it might be a problem otherwise not. But I can’t explain it is the case with your voicemail number.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

If you're on a Canada Wide plan, with unlimited minutes, that isn't a problem, however, it does seem strange.

I believe, folks in Nova Scotia may be calling to New Brunswick or the opposite.  There have been issues like this previously.

Need Help? Let's chat.