cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is data used showing incorrectly ?

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The month has just started, as payment was taken yesterday, however it is showing I used over 5MB of data.  Here are screen shots that I hope someone can help with.  As you can see I have not used any data for the past few days, as I mainly use wifi.   

This happened last month as well but I didn't ask about it.  I watch to see if it "will fall in the morning" but it does not.

Dolphin1_3-1584500567749.png

Dolphin1_2-1584500527540.png

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dolphin1 Google Dialer explains the texts to 7723 shown in your usage history (more here: Texts to 7723).  It has nothing to do with your data usage; the two are completely independent.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

While your phone is connected to data, there will always be that 5.2MB buffer. In android at least, during off data does not 'disconnect' data as far as Public Mobile is concerned, but airplane mode does.

Try it:

- Turn on airplane mode on your phone.

- Refresh the selfserve overview page, and you'll see your data usage amount immediately drop by up to 5.2MB.

- Turn on airplane mode and refresh again, it will go back up.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Dolphin1 

I can relate to the confusion your in.

When I started with PM, the First day it was saying I have used  "5.295 / 250mb" and my data was off. I did not use data for a few days just to track and see if its randomly going up. Fortunately, it automatically resets back to  0 / 250Mb after few days.

So every time the plan renews it will show you that but will reset eventually back to 0.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dolphin1 

You can see it for yourself. First make sure OS and app updates are set to wifi only. Also that none or only a select few apps can use data in the background.

Turn off cell data.

Turn airplane mode on and count to 10 and turn it back off.

Turn on cell data.

Refresh overview page and take note of the number.

Turn off cell data.

Turn airplane mode on and count to 10 and turn it back off.

Refresh overview page and take note of the number.

That running buffer is exactly 5.293MB. Your phone might take a few K just connecting to cell data and the apps you let run might take their bit.

Each time you turn on cell data it will grab that buffer. The buffer will otherwise reset sometime overnight.

@Dolphin1  can you turn your data completely off for a bit and just use wifi? Then check later if the data on your account dropped by around 5mb? This way we'll know if it is the buffer or not.

I played with mine for a second. Account has 6.506MB...after turning wifi off for a second, turning only data on and opening Facebook. Then turning wifi back on It jumped to 11.105mb (not so much 5mb)... Now I turned data back off with only wifi on and data dropped back down to 6.506.

As for Google dialer I have not played around with that much. I'm sure others will know more about it and will respond @srlawren seems familiar with it. Maybe he has time to help you.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dolphin1 

I have seen data usage moves up and down by 5MB on $15/250MB plan as well as the $40/5GB plan.  It is more noticeable when you have only 250MB.

Dolphin1

@will13am  ok, I will have to keep an eye on this in the next few days.  Last month I noticed it was there a couple days after renewal but I did not check back to see if it dropped off.  I will pay closer attention this month.

Dolphin1

@Jb456 the data buffer being held makes sense

With regards to the google dialer, if you have data turned off will it still use google dialer ?  I don't quite understand how google dialer would be used when I am using the texting app on the phone to text.  I checked history and most of the time it shows the phone number I'm texting but there are a few instances when I see 7223.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I saw the phantom 5MB usage in one of my accounts also after a renewal.  It went back to 0 later.  Not sure why this happens.  I have faith the scale is legal tender.  

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

7223 might indicate your using Google dialer?? Instead of the traditional message app on the phone?

Also there is a 5.xx data buffer when you turn data on...it might just be that..if you turn data off and check your account in 30 minutes or so it would likely drop down back to 0 or wtv if that's the case.

As for 7223 I really think that is google dialer...is that what you're using?? That may be the cause if it's not just the data buffer....PM is just a bit over 5 for the buffer where as for example Koodo buffer is 20mb I believe (from what I seen on one of my Koodo accounts)

Need Help? Let's chat.